Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Apr 29, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #316 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherieamour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just started my foray into IEMs with the pfes, and I am considering getting the apple IEMs too as they are very tempting at the price.

Was wondering if anyone who has both the pfes and the apple IEMs can give a comparison - seeing how pfes only have 1 BA driver, and is priced higher than the apple IEMs which are dual drivers?

Does the dual drivers help the apple IEMs, and is the sound signature different?

I am of the mind that unamped I favor the ADDIEMs over the PFEs, but that is just me. I also have a Touch, so the ADDIEMs work well with that DAP, of course. Similar phones, with the PFEs, when amped, sounding more extended in the mids/highs, and a touch less harshness. That doesn't mean the ADDIEMs are harsh. One bit of advice is the ADDIEM tips are not that great, and tend to loosen (they are somewhat bulby). I use the Sony Hybrid tips on both the PFEs and the ADDIEMS, and those tips work wonderfully.

If you read the ADDIEM thread, there are more specific comparisons with the PFE.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #319 of 779
Apr 30, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #320 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any verification that these are not just fakes

Yeah, I will say that I am 99% sure that they are not fake. Everyone else is pretty sure too.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #322 of 779
Not fakes, just returns that the ebay seller managed to get somehow. Hey, if anyone thinks they are fake, then stay away. More for other buyers. Verification is they are the exact same as a pair I have seen (bought from the Apple store).

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #324 of 779
My impression listening to the Apples with the Fiio E5 (normal mode) (i.e. amped):

* Opens up the soundstage quite well indeed and is great for rock in this aspect. However a big soundstage is not always desirable in some genres e.g. some electronic music

* Gives it very smooth sounding mids. If you think the Apples have nice mids unamped, you should hear it amped. Gives the sound signature some warmth.

* However this warmth isn't always desirable. IMO, this warmth makes the punchiness and tightness of the bass less 'attack' sounding. It still has the deep frequency response and tightness, but it doesn't have the sharp sounding attack with it amped. It's not boomy however so don't confuse it with it being boomy because it isn't. It you want a bit of boom of course you can switch it to the bass mode on the Fiio E5 which gives you that.

Overall, however, for people listening to rock, making it amped is definitely a plus for these earphones, particularly in the soundstage and instrument separation department.

May 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #325 of 779
I have to agree with what tstarn06 has said through out this thread. For $40 on ebay, these are a steal. I would happily pay full price for these. Sound wise they have decent seperation, highs are crisp with slight roll off (if any), mids are fairly forward, and the bass is present, without being overpowering. While they could be stronger in the bass department, it is no where close to being anemic, and I prefer the clarity over more bass. The soundstage is limited, as it is directly in my head, but I payed $40!

I was so skeptical of these, and really didn't want to like them because they are from Apple, but here I am now.
redface.gif

I also had some Shure Yellow foams laying around, and decided to fit them inside of the apple sleeves. This vastly improved the isolation and also seemed to increase the depth of bass. YMMV.

May 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #326 of 779
Hey, glad to hear it. I might try that sleeve mod for kicks, as I have a whole bag of those Shure foamies around. Also have some de-cored Complys and olives. I really moved to the Hybrid tips, but no reason not to try someone else's successful mod.

Hey, nice tip on that foam under silicone mod. Sounds great, but comfort is a light tight. Might try it with the smaller tips.

May 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #327 of 779
The de-cored yellow foams I did it with had been used quite a few times, so they weren't as full as a new set. I'm not sure how easily a new set would fit in the medium sleeves I used, so it might be beneficial to use foams that have thinned down a bit.

May 1, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #328 of 779
I cut down an old decored olive small and tucked it into the small Apple sleeve (right ear is smaller than left) and that solved it. One size for each ear. I might try it on the Hybrids too. I know others have used it successfully with the Senns (IE line), but I didn't have any luck with those, though I might try it there too with the hybrids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back