Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Apr 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #212 of 779
yes, average_joe wrestled them on. The ADDIEM sound tube is not as thick as other canal phones (like Sony), more like the PFEs, which also will accept the olives. Might try it myself.

Update: Wow, they went on pretty easily. Never thought to try them. Nice. Using the mediums.

Moved back to the Sony hybrids, and they sound much better to me, olives not the right tips for these phones. Just my view, of course. Using medium Sony hybrids, the orange stems. Bass is much more pronounced, more soundstage, depth, something. They sound better.

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #214 of 779
NE-7M: Bassier, colored midrange with weird cupped sound, treble peak
Addiems- less bass, smooth mids, slight treble peak, more balanced and detailed, tip experimentation encouraged

Both good phones

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #216 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NE-7M: Bassier, colored midrange with weird cupped sound, treble peak
Addiems- less bass, smooth mids, slight treble peak, more balanced and detailed, tip experimentation encouraged

Both good phones

Matches my impression. The Ne-7m's colored mid range and weird imaging made me send them back. The treble was also a little too hot for me.

The ADDIEMs I liked better. Better clarity but I thought the SCL4 at $80 were better so returned them.

Both good at their price points.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #217 of 779
Just got them today in the mail.

Initial impressions, pre burn-in, out-of-the-box, with default tips:

1) Same old bad to open, good looking packaging that makes me feel like they don't want me to get into their earphones like other makers

* The cord is quite microphonic as others have stated and even still a tad microphonic if worn around-the-ear. 2nd/3rd most microphonic cord I've heard behind the microphonic king, the Sennheiser CX300 and the iM716.

* Laid-back sound signature, however not as laid back as the Jays s-Jays. The s-Jays are about 6 rows back, the ADDIEM 4 1/2 rows back, the NE-7M about 3 1/2 rows back, the Denon C751 about 1 1/2 rows back. I prefer my sound signature not as forward as the NE-7M but not as laid back as the ADDIEM so I still haven't found the perfect earphone in this aspect :p

* Focused on the mids but surprisingly good tight bass, particularly considering it's pre burn-in. At least it was much tighter than the s-Jays at the same stage of burn-in, which suffered from uncontrolled bass pre burn-in (tightens up with it).

* Clarity is the best of any sub $100 IEM i've heard (And I've heard lots, see my sig). Sure, the Head-Direct RE-2 could be argued against this, but I feel the RE-2 is significantly more coloured sounding than the ADDIEM.

* ADDIEM + well recorded music (e.g. old Rush, Porcupine Tree) = makes the earphone really shine. Detail in the mids = the best out of any sub $100 earphone.

The ADDIEM isn't super detailed however it is no slouch either on this aspect.

Soundstage and instrument separation: I'm mixed about this. However, thing is with good sub $100 earphones, all have their unique soundstages. the ADDIEM's soundstage is still 'in-your-head' (the NE-7M is the only earphone that has a feeling of 'outside-the-head' soundstage under US$100 I've heard). What unique about the ADDIEM is that the 'behind the head' aspect of the soundstage is more evident than other IEM's. It's not as wide as the RE2 but in terms of overall 'rounded' '3D' soundstage, the ADDIEM is best in this aspect under US$100.
Instrument separation is interesting as I find this is a weak aspect of the ADDIEM. it just doesn't do instrument separation well. Apart from the drums, which are recessed at times, the rest of the instruments are to either side about 20-30 degrees from one another.

Otherwise, yet, the ADDIEM are worth the price of admission.

Let's see what happens with a bit of burn-in over the next few days.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #218 of 779
You are convinced that BA drivers benefit from burn-in? Some say it's only important for dynamic IEMs. Others feel there could be something called "brain burn in" for all phones.

Also, I agree with much of your assessment, and did a comparison with the RE2 as well, and especially agree on the differences. Nice quickie review. Funniest thing is average_joe earlier posted that the instrument separation was way wide, in fact maybe even too wide for him. Goes to show you how different ears hear different things.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #220 of 779
tstarn06,

Do you remember how the Custom 3 sound compare to the ADDIEM? I used to own the ADDIEM before the Custom 3. I have to admit that when I upgraded to the Custom3 I kinda missed the treble peak on the ADDIEM, the remote too.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #221 of 779
Can't say I do. I only owned the Custom 3 like two weeks and didn't listen much. I do remember thinking they were worth the $150 I paid for them (Klipsch half price sale) but not more. I had (still have) the X10s and favored their sound sig. So I sold the C3s.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #222 of 779
Anyone using Complys with these?

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #223 of 779
Over 200 post already!

At this rate this thread will soon have to be renamed "Apple IEM's - the most highly regarded IEM's in Head-fi, overtaking W3 & UM3X, IE8, ATH-CK100, SE530 & Triple fi10"
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #224 of 779
The main thing, to me, is the discounted price. Not saying they are not worth $79, because they are (with the right tips). But for $35, they really are an amazing deal. Doubtful that price will continue, but they are out there for $50 new, still a bargain.

As for using Complys (or olives for that matter), I have tried the T130 (made for the PFEs) and I feel they really muffle/veil the ADDIEM sound sig. Same with olives. Mute the mids and highs to me, and I have tried them 3-4 times, to convince myself. As soon as I switch back to the Sony hybrid silicones, ahhhh! For me, fit is perfect with the darker green Sony tips (not the orange as I mistakenly said somewhere else). The light green that look like blue (largest) also work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back