Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Apr 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #181 of 779
R.I.P. $34.99 ebay deal. Only ones left are $44 and $55 for new ones, not bad. But guess we bought out the lot from the guy with the cheap (authentic) ones. Got my second pair today, for my daughter.

Anyway, still an excellent value, even at $79.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #183 of 779
Oddly enough mine showed up in my mailbox today....

I like what I'm hearing so far. There's ample bass, they're instantly clearer than my IE8. Strings sound more alive, vocals are clearer... I just might keep these and sell the IE8s.... crap, I have Triple.Fi's on the way too....

Honestly, they offer all I want in an IEM... so far.... will keep listening. I'd gladly pay the full retail price knowing what these sound like now.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #184 of 779
Wow, that's pretty interesting. Same response Montell had, sort of (he just felt they were good enough to replace his IE8s, which he had iso problems with). Also, I've experimented with tips, and now feel the Sony hybrids are a good match (the OEM tips are a little bulby, and require resealing more than the sonys, which are more bullet-shaped at the end.) I also found the PFE silicones to work well with the ADDIEMs. Foamies, not so good, as they muffle the highs.

Yes, they do have a very nice detail/crispness to them, though, as Bixby noted, can sometimes offer an off kilter treble response, but not enough to ruin the positive experience. As for bass, I don't find them weak, but a good seal is critical for hearing their bass (as with most IEMs).

Anyway, they are getting some interesting feedback/reviews. I am surprised at your view relative to the IE8s, of course. Will be curious to see if you sell the Senns. Another poster, Squirsier, sold his TF10s and kept the ADDIEMs, but it was also a fit issue, not entirely SQ.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #185 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, they offer all I want in an IEM... so far.... will keep listening. I'd gladly pay the full retail price knowing what these sound like now.

That was exactly my own thoughts when I tried them for the first time, and even today, 15 days later, and I definitely do not regret paying them the full retail price
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #187 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] Squirsier, sold his TF10s and kept the ADDIEMs, but it was also a fit issue, not entirely SQ.

While I sold the TF10 way before I ever acquired the ADDIEM, from memory, I can say that the ADDIEM just sound "fuller", which is probably what attracts me a lot to its sound. Not that the TF10 were bad - but maybe just a bit tad "dry" and "thin" (not lacking in bass, just... thin).

The ADDIEM, to me, sound full, rich and clear. Haven't had any issues with the treble peaks, but then, most of the music I listen to is "electronica" and generally demands great highs. Right now, I am listening to Deadbeat's "Roots and Wire" (electronic dub) and loooove how the ADDIEM make it sound. I put my ES7 to compare - and suddenly not so much.

And what about Royksopp's latest, "Junior"... audio bliss...
biggrin.gif

Very satisfied Apple customer. Love my iTouch (stock market watcher, ebook reader, movie trailer watcher, music listening device, picture viewer, yahoo messenger, skype phone, blizzard's battle.net authenticator, street mapper... etc etc ETC!) and the ADDIEM just pair with it extremely well.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #188 of 779
Quote:

Wow, that's pretty interesting. Same response Montell had, sort of (he just felt they were good enough to replace his IE8s, which he had iso problems with). Also, I've experimented with tips, and now feel the Sony hybrids are a good match (the OEM tips are a little bulby, and require resealing more than the sonys, which are more bullet-shaped at the end.) I also found the PFE silicones to work well with the ADDIEMs. Foamies, not so good, as they muffle the highs.

Yes, they do have a very nice detail/crispness to them, though, as Bixby noted, can sometimes offer an off kilter treble response, but not enough to ruin the positive experience. As for bass, I don't find them weak, but a good seal is critical for hearing their bass (as with most IEMs).

Anyway, they are getting some interesting feedback/reviews. I am surprised at your view relative to the IE8s, of course. Will be curious to see if you sell the Senns. Another poster, Squirsier, sold his TF10s and kept the ADDIEMs, but it was also a fit issue, not entirely SQ.

After a little more listening, I am hearing the slightly higher than average treble... it is borderline sibilant. I haven't reached the point where I've had to turn the volume down or yank em out of my ears yet.

The IE8s are easier to listen to, since the treble and midrange is tamer. I'm also noticing similar soundstage, which I find surprising.

It's going to take so more thorough comparisons between the IE8s, these and the Triple.Fi when I get those, to decide which I'm keeping... I'd like to keep all of them, but my wallet can only afford one. I'd like it to be the ADDIEMs simply because they're so frickin cheap... but I have to be sure to not to consider price when comparing them because I want to keep an unbiased ear, I don't want price to be the determining factor. What sounds best is the most important... after buying so many different IEMs, it'd be nice to finally find one that's good enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I should mention I've only so far been listening from my Macbook Air.. which tends to give a slight edge to mids/highs. I'll have to do the comparisons using my iPod Touch.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #189 of 779
Quote:

You mean one of the sets for $44 or $55? Or did you get the last one for $34.99?

biggrin.gif

Although when I bought them over the weekend they had 8 listed, so I don't think I got the very last pair.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #190 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

duuuuuuuuude! i didn't know they had a new album out?!
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #192 of 779
Sorry for the misinformation on my part. Sounds like the ADDIEM is more your sound zone, nevertheless. And thanks for the music tip, just downloaded the Junior album.

Also agree the ADDIEM mesh well with the Touch (they should), but they also sound fine with the Zune, Clip and Sony DAPs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I sold the TF10 way before I ever acquired the ADDIEM, from memory, I can say that the ADDIEM just sound "fuller", which is probably what attracts me a lot to its sound. Not that the TF10 were bad - but maybe just a bit tad "dry" and "thin" (not lacking in bass, just... thin).

The ADDIEM, to me, sound full, rich and clear. Haven't had any issues with the treble peaks, but then, most of the music I listen to is "electronica" and generally demands great highs. Right now, I am listening to Deadbeat's "Roots and Wire" (electronic dub) and loooove how the ADDIEM make it sound. I put my ES7 to compare - and suddenly not so much.

biggrin.gif

Very satisfied Apple customer. Love my iTouch (stock market watcher, ebook reader, movie trailer watcher, music listening device, picture viewer, yahoo messenger, skype phone, blizzard's battle.net authenticator, street mapper... etc etc ETC!) and the ADDIEM just pair with it extremely well.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #193 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a little more listening, I am hearing the slightly higher than average treble... it is borderline sibilant. I haven't reached the point where I've had to turn the volume down or yank em out of my ears yet.

The IE8s are easier to listen to, since the treble and midrange is tamer. I'm also noticing similar soundstage, which I find surprising.

It's going to take so more thorough comparisons between the IE8s, these and the Triple.Fi when I get those, to decide which I'm keeping... I'd like to keep all of them, but my wallet can only afford one. I'd like it to be the ADDIEMs simply because they're so frickin cheap... but I have to be sure to not to consider price when comparing them because I want to keep an unbiased ear, I don't want price to be the determining factor. What sounds best is the most important... after buying so many different IEMs, it'd be nice to finally find one that's good enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I should mention I've only so far been listening from my Macbook Air.. which tends to give a slight edge to mids/highs. I'll have to do the comparisons using my iPod Touch.

Definitely check out the Touch, and depending on the track, I sometimes use the bass booster EQ setting (I know, I know, distortion). But on some tracks, it adds a little warmth to the ADDIEM (tracks with little bass naturally).

Not surprised the IE8s are sounding tamer, but you have plenty of time for listening and deciding.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #194 of 779
Been listening with the Touch... sounds very nice. Unfortunately A/B'ing with the IE8 instantly makes the ADDIEMs sound anemic with the bass... which they're not. There's just so much more bass and immensity of sound with the IE8, it's really not fair to compare them.

I'll save the comparisons for the IE8 and Triple.Fi's.... and I'll just keep the ADDIEMs as a back up pair, and for the gym.. they're cheap enough I can keep them and one high end IEM. Plus, they really do sound good. If I had never listened to the IE8, I would have been more than happy to end my search right then and there.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #195 of 779
Same deal with me and the Westone 3s, which I definitely prefer to the Apples, but I still do like the latter, and I hate to ever part with a phone of that quality that costs $35. My serious listening is the W3 with the Minibox E+ and the Touch LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back