AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Jan 29, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #4,156 of 4,614
Does anyone know if the ap80 or ap80 pro supports audiobook playback?

ap80 has ability to resume playback from last position

which can help with long audio files

with audio books it might be possible to convert the files to mp3 with fre:ac app

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #4,157 of 4,614
ap80 has ability to resume playback from last position

which can help with long audio files

with audio books it might be possible to convert the files to mp3 with fre:ac app
Audiobook book proper support requires more than that... Adjust playback speed, keep last position in multiple audiobooks (not just 1), etc.

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #4,158 of 4,614
I posted my in-depth written review about AP80 PRO!!!

Surely a DAP I liked, good resolution, excellent build quality, lots of detail for the price, good stage and driving power. Also MSEB, so you can easily match it with anything out there :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...izs-ap80-pro-ultra-portable-music-player.html

HIDIZS-AP-80-PRO-AP80PRO-DAP-Digital-Music-Player-Streaming-Bluetooth-MSEB-Tuning-Control-Revi...jpg

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #4,161 of 4,614
Hi guys. The first post in this thread says the AP80 supports microSD cards up to 512 GB, but the company write-up on the Amazon page claims 1 TB. Can anyone confirm that they've used it with a 1 TB card?

im using a 512GB right now. which only holds about 465GB

1TB is very expensive. it would hold around 890GB or something

also ap80 can maybe only index up to 20 000 songs i think. metadata in when it updates database

i have 15600 songs about rn

but i dont use the database much. i play directly off the sd card

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #4,162 of 4,614
I'm guessing that the max capacity listed for any given player is a function of when it was released and when the specs were written. Many dirt cheap players say 32G limit but that's because bigger cards are typically formatted in something other than FAT32. I've successfully formatted up to 128G cards with FAT32 and used them in all sorts of cheap players (why tie up my good player just to spend a week burning in a new set of IEMs) so I wouldn't take the size limit too strongly. Granted there can be a memory limitation on total number of songs but that's basically a different issue

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #4,163 of 4,614
I'm guessing that the max capacity listed for any given player is a function of when it was released and when the specs were written. Many dirt cheap players say 32G limit but that's because bigger cards are typically formatted in something other than FAT32. I've successfully formatted up to 128G cards with FAT32 and used them in all sorts of cheap players (why tie up my good player just to spend a week burning in a new set of IEMs) so I wouldn't take the size limit too strongly. Granted there can be a memory limitation on total number of songs but that's basically a different issue

newer firmwares can handle exfat

i might roll my firmware back one because there is one bug in the new firmware that bugs me. when i unpause music it will glitch for a second.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #4,164 of 4,614
Hi guys. The first post in this thread says the AP80 supports microSD cards up to 512 GB, but the company write-up on the Amazon page claims 1 TB. Can anyone confirm that they've used it with a 1 TB card?

Since the SDXC standard covers cards up to 2 TB and all 512 GB SD cards comply with the SDXC standard (or the nascent and rare SDUC standard), it's assumed that any device that can handle 512 GB cards should also be able to handle 2 TB cards (if they ever hit the market). Many manufacturers only guarantee that their devices will work with cards they actually tried, and since the AP80 came out before 1TB cards, maybe Hidizs just chose not to claim compatibility with then-hypothetical storage cards.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #4,165 of 4,614
1tb micro sd is expensive

time to start compressing files

https://www.freac.org/

set this in the options and the program will dupicate the folder structure identically:

image.png

i still have 30GB free space on my 512GB micro sd

if i ever need more space i can compress some high res 24 96 flacs down to 16 44

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #4,166 of 4,614
1tb micro sd is expensive

time to start compressing files

https://www.freac.org/

set this in the options and the program will dupicate the folder structure identically:

image.png

i still have 30GB free space on my 512GB micro sd

if i ever need more space i can compress some high res 24 96 flacs down to 16 44
Oh, man. You are going to attract the "never reduce quality ever ever ever" crowd now. :)

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,167 of 4,614
Oh, man. You are going to attract the "never reduce quality ever ever ever" crowd now. :)

well you can always save your originals at home on your helioseal 20TB external hard drive lol

and just put the reduced quality files onto the micro sd card

but i reduced all my 32 192 and 24 192 files down to 24 96 and never saved the originals though. because 192 is just too much i think.

way too much waste of space going that high

sometimes i even reduce them down to 24 48 depending on what the spectogram looks like

some people dont delete songs they dont like. so they could do that to reduce size.

it doenst bother me at all to permanetly delete songs i dont like. its like killing cockroaches to me.

small_wd_20tb_18tb_hdds.jpg

image.png

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #4,168 of 4,614
after testing with several dacs and several listening sessions with friends I came to the conclusion that 16-96 is all you need for very good sound. 24bits is double the data and al but useless as long as you don't use the dac's volume or want to make a studio mix. 16bits is a lot of headroom. 24bits can't translate completely to analog, if you can achieve 20 bits you are very fortunate and wil get hearing damage within 1 hour. Given that the average background noise is about 40dB, maybe 20dB at night somewhere in the country you can deduct even more bits. So a real 16 bits is enough. And that is all dependant on dac method, ds needs more kHz to filter all the HF rubbish out than R2R.

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #4,169 of 4,614
hey, so i've found myself back on the AP80 bandwagon, but this time with the AP80 Pro. Like it a lot. Only issue I have come across is from time to time it will crash and reboot. Any reason why? I used two different SD cards in it and it happened. The first time was with a 16gb (while I waited for a larger one) Then again with my current 256gb card. Only got 3500 songs on it right now. Its happened three times so far. Is this something thats happened with people? Is there a FW that sorts it out. Im on 1.3 rn. I never had this issue with my vanilla AP80. Thanks in advance!

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #4,170 of 4,614
hey, so i've found myself back on the AP80 bandwagon, but this time with the AP80 Pro. Like it a lot. Only issue I have come across is from time to time it will crash and reboot. Any reason why? I used two different SD cards in it and it happened. The first time was with a 16gb (while I waited for a larger one) Then again with my current 256gb card. Only got 3500 songs on it right now. Its happened three times so far. Is this something thats happened with people? Is there a FW that sorts it out. Im on 1.3 rn. I never had this issue with my vanilla AP80. Thanks in advance!

if the screen freezes you just flick it off on

if the OS freezes you hold power button down until it reboots

right now im using ap80 pro. it does crash but very rare. maybe once per day

i cant remember how much my ap80 regular crashed. i think about the same.

i think they both crashed and freezed about the same.

screen freezes up 2 or 3 times per day, OS maybe once per day, and crash maybe once per day. a tolerable amount.

most of the time because im hitting buttons too fast

im on latest firmware. you could always install a different firmware.

i had a 256GB red patriot card once and it would not copy files over the usb cable. it would cut out.

all the other sd cards i used worked for copying over the usb cable

ap80 pro seems to get a bit less battery life then ap80, but havnt done thorough tests to prove that yet

if you need help finding more music PM me. i know alot of good bands across alot of different genres

also you might have some bad files that are causing the issue.

i had to transcode some flac to lastest version flac to fix some metadata issues

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back