AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #3,901 of 4,614
Hi there, i'm a new user to the ap80. I gotta say that this baby rocks! one thing i would like to share is that there is no 15k limit on database which made me worried cause i had already purchase the 512gb card. i like to share my experience with a 512gb sandisk microSD, formatted in windows as exfat. I have created folders in the root directory and named them jazz, club etc.. now contrary to the many posts i have read about file database limit of 15k, i went to put 17500 songs into a folder via drag and drop from itunes playlist straight into windows explorer folder created in the ap80 connected via usb on my desktop pc, windows 10. Here's how i created Playlist without any additional desktop apps. I created playlists of each folder via inbuilt heart icon on the top of the screen, remember to hit the save the playlist as m3u else you wont see it in the playlist_data folder that will be created after you do this. After creating the playlist you now can add to the playlist, go to files icon next to the heart icon and then go into another files icon, inside go select microsd card, choose the folder you want to add by tapping on it, give it time to react, when the folder opens.. press and hold a music file until checkboxes appear, tap the upperleft most box to select everything in the folder... now click the playlist icon next to the trash bin, you can click on the premade playlists or you can add directly to a new list from the create new option. From my experience, the creation of 17500k playlist took 10-15mins. This is day 4 using this baby, and finally getting the hang of it. i advise all to use mp3tag and edit all your mp3 tags and album art via this tool, i have used this to correct all the missing song names and missing artwork... you can use the function, view > sort by > cover, then scroll to the top, and you can see all the mp3 that have no cover art and add them via their inbuilt database, under tag sources > cover > Discogs. Play around with this mp3tag, really fun. I hope to try to stuff more into my card in the coming weeks, right now in total of all my folders its 25K mp3's and i still have 260GB free.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #3,902 of 4,614
Hi there, i'm a new user to the ap80. I gotta say that this baby rocks! one thing i would like to share is that there is no 15k limit on database which made me worried cause i had already purchase the 512gb card. i like to share my experience with a 512gb sandisk microSD, formatted in windows as exfat. I have created folders in the root directory and named them jazz, club etc.. now contrary to the many posts i have read about file database limit of 15k, i went to put 17500 songs into a folder via drag and drop from itunes playlist straight into windows explorer folder created in the ap80 connected via usb on my desktop pc, windows 10. Here's how i created Playlist without any additional desktop apps. I created playlists of each folder via inbuilt heart icon on the top of the screen, remember to hit the save the playlist as m3u else you wont see it in the playlist_data folder that will be created after you do this. After creating the playlist you now can add to the playlist, go to files icon next to the heart icon and then go into another files icon, inside go select microsd card, choose the folder you want to add by tapping on it, give it time to react, when the folder opens.. press and hold a music file until checkboxes appear, tap the upperleft most box to select everything in the folder... now click the playlist icon next to the trash bin, you can click on the premade playlists or you can add directly to a new list from the create new option. From my experience, the creation of 17500k playlist took 10-15mins. This is day 4 using this baby, and finally getting the hang of it. i advise all to use mp3tag and edit all your mp3 tags and album art via this tool, i have used this to correct all the missing song names and missing artwork... you can use the function, view > sort by > cover, then scroll to the top, and you can see all the mp3 that have no cover art and add them via their inbuilt database, under tag sources > cover > Discogs. Play around with this mp3tag, really fun. I hope to try to stuff more into my card in the coming weeks, right now in total of all my folders its 25K mp3's and i still have 260GB free.

Saying there is no 15k limit on the database is inaccurate. There are ways to avoid that limit, as you show, by using folder view and not using the database mode. But the limit in the database remains. Personally, I generally use folder mode because I'm heavily playlist-centric in my habits to begin with, so the database doesn't really add any value to my use case. Other people rely on the database for its functions that aren't easily duplicated in folder mode, and the 15k entry limit is a bummer for those who have large collections and want the database to handle them.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #3,903 of 4,614
Hello everyone! What is the sound sound signature of the AP80 pro like? The last dap I had was the ibasso dx120, but after 8 months my battery was swollen, and I could not send it to the factory because the shipping was very expensive, I finally exchanged it for a dragonfly red from a friend in my city. The AP80 pro comes close in sound quality to the ibasso? My current iem is dunu dk2001.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #3,904 of 4,614
Hello everyone! What is the sound sound signature of the AP80 pro like? The last dap I had was the ibasso dx120, but after 8 months my battery was swollen, and I could not send it to the factory because the shipping was very expensive, I finally exchanged it for a dragonfly red from a friend in my city. The AP80 pro comes close in sound quality to the ibasso? My current iem is dunu dk2001.

I find that the headphones gives you the soundstage not the player? i have 3 headphones and they all give different vibes. i personally like using my pioneer mx9t that can give me punchy bass and deeps as well. The 10 band eq can help push the highs for me.

Saying there is no 15k limit on the database is inaccurate. There are ways to avoid that limit, as you show, by using folder view and not using the database mode. But the limit in the database remains. Personally, I generally use folder mode because I'm heavily playlist-centric in my habits to begin with, so the database doesn't really add any value to my use case. Other people rely on the database for its functions that aren't easily duplicated in folder mode, and the 15k entry limit is a bummer for those who have large collections and want the database to handle them.

Yes.. As a newbie to the AP80 and reading the 15K database limit stuff gave me the irk that it just couldn't accept more than 15K as a whole, even loading playlists.. luckily i'm playlist centric like you and couldn't understand why it was so and had to try. Btw, thanks for posting alot of useful info on this player. This device is making me fall in love with my music again, im now listening to 25k of my 55k collection in a new light. Hell even the setup via bluetooth to my car stereo sounds better!

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #3,905 of 4,614
I find that the headphones gives you the soundstage not the player? i have 3 headphones and they all give different vibes. i personally like using my pioneer mx9t that can give me punchy bass and deeps as well. The 10 band eq can help push the highs for me.

Of course the player counts. I have had a fiio x1, fiio x3ii, cayin n3, ibasso dx120, and they all had a different flavor, in addition to greater definition between each other.

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #3,907 of 4,614
Sorry to jump in on this thread but has anyone have any suggestions for a armband for the ap80 ? I'm looking into this for my work-out sessions but can not seem to find one. Thanks.
Screenshot_20200618-214412_Email.jpg

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #3,910 of 4,614
Sorry to jump in, 261 pages is too much to scroll through...

Have you discussed BT LDAC reliability of AP80pro, maybe compared to other players? I was thinking of getting the Hiby R3pro, but it looks like that BT is not working well with it...

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #3,911 of 4,614

i found tagscanner to work better then mp3tag, as i stated in my tips
https://www.xdlab.ru/en/

i thought the database limit was 20K

can anyone confirm for 100% certain whether its 15K or 20K so i can update my tips

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-221#post-15250661

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #3,912 of 4,614
For those who are interested, I just posted my full detailed review of AP80 Pro, along with a number of comparisons to its AP80 siblings and a few others. Should have it mirrored on head-fi soon as well. Enjoy the read!

hidizs-ap80pro-09.jpg

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #3,913 of 4,614
For those who are interested, I just posted my full detailed review of AP80 Pro, along with a number of comparisons to its AP80 siblings and a few others. Should have it mirrored on head-fi soon as well. Enjoy the read!

hidizs-ap80pro-09.jpg

3.5mm port only uses one dac?

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #3,914 of 4,614
3.5mm port only uses one dac?

Good question. Don't want to speculate since they didn't provide a block diagram of internal design. I just asked Hidizs and will let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #3,915 of 4,614
Good question. Don't want to speculate since they didn't provide a block diagram of internal design. I just asked Hidizs and will let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

well does one port use more battery then the other?

does one port produce better sound then the other?

slightly better sound quality would not be worth a large hit to the play time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back