AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
May 22, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2,927 of 4,614
FWIW, I could not install the V1.1 update. After trying several cards and repeat downloads I gave up an e-mailed Hidizs. I received step by step instructions plus some advice in less than 24hr and a link to a clean copy of the firmware. It turned out one of my Sandisk 32gb microSD cards which worked perfectly, and which I had just formatted FAT32 would not work but an identical card did work. Who knows why things like this happen? They just do.

I was impressed with Hidizs service. I am also quite happy with my AP80. It is amazing for the price. It is what it is. Every device has quirks and/or software designer make decisions I would have made some other way. I just live with it. I never listen to DSD so that will never be a problem for me.

May 22, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #2,928 of 4,614
FWIW, I could not install the V1.1 update. After trying several cards and repeat downloads I gave up an e-mailed Hidizs. I received step by step instructions plus some advice in less than 24hr and a link to a clean copy of the firmware. It turned out one of my Sandisk 32gb microSD cards which worked perfectly, and which I had just formatted FAT32 would not work but an identical card did work. Who knows why things like this happen? They just do.

I was impressed with Hidizs service. I am also quite happy with my AP80. It is amazing for the price. It is what it is. Every device has quirks and/or software designer make decisions I would have made some other way. I just live with it. I never listen to DSD so that will never be a problem for me.

I can fully understand the upset over DSD to be sure. In my case I'm like you, don't listen to it, my collection is Flac and MP3 and the AP80 is remarkable as a standalone player. Ultraportable, and sounds ten times its size.
I'm glad to hear that your experience with support was a positive one, and also happy to see that a new firmware was released amongst all the online criticism, but still feel like this device is being failed by lackluster firmware. For me, I dont really run into any bugs, but for others some bugs can be really jarring.

Hopefully they will continue to iterate on the AP80 firmware and improve it over time. For now, I just suggest that people with music collections use it only (and non-dsd at that). For this purpose, it does extremely well for the price. If you're looking for more features from your DAC, this is not the device to pick.

May 22, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #2,929 of 4,614
Hidizs has put themselves in a bad position. They made the hardware which is quite nice but they are relying on Hiby for firmware and software. Never a good place to be, especially since Hiby has to give their own hardware resource priority. So no matter how fast Hidizs would like to fix bugs, they will be fixed when Hiby gets to them. At least that's how I understand it,

Personally, I think the AP80 is worth far more than I paid for it. I also have a Shanling M0 which is phenomenal but almost to small. These are just amazing devices.

May 22, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #2,930 of 4,614
Hidizs has put themselves in a bad position. They made the hardware which is quite nice but they are relying on Hiby for firmware and software. Never a good place to be, especially since Hiby has to give their own hardware resource priority. So no matter how fast Hidizs would like to fix bugs, they will be fixed when Hiby gets to them. At least that's how I understand it,

Personally, I think the AP80 is worth far more than I paid for it. I also have a Shanling M0 which is phenomenal but almost to small. These are just amazing devices.

I hear you.. Again, I feel like one of the lucky ones that just gets to enjoy it since it meets all of my criteria, but still feel for those that feel burned, especially early adopters.

I do agree though, for the price/sound ratio is quite shocking, especially for such a small little device. It can fit in the lighter pocket in my jeans, which I find kinda amazing.

May 23, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,931 of 4,614

One of the challenging aspects of dealing with Hiby's development philosophy is their lack of concern for user-generated playlists. It's clearly an afterthought, but it's the primary means by which I've listened to portable music since the days of making mix tapes from vinyl records in the 1980s. If they'd ever put a decent amount of effort into that part of their various firmwares, it would build a lot of good will for some of us old geezers. Podcasts are apparently just never going to get any love from the Chinese DAP manufacturers.

May 23, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,932 of 4,614
May 24, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,934 of 4,614
There were rumors that the AP80 could be rockboxable
That would solve most issues regarding podacsts/bookmarkings/faster playback etc...
being dualboot this could be a great solution
I have never seen those rumors. Would be great, if true!

May 24, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #2,936 of 4,614
My second AP80 that I'm gifting to a friend arrived. Its a slightly nicer device to operate, and the volume wheel is SOLID compared to my kickstarter generation silver one. (which is ok mind you)

Really I dont think i ever listen to DSD either, but since I have one brand new, and one antique one, if someone would like to link me free dsd files to test I'd be happy to determine whether the new ones no longer have hiss.

I'm really fond of the AP80.

May 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #2,939 of 4,614
I believe it was @vortex

Yes I think the user is Xvortex

This is a quote from him:

"AP80 is based on the Ingenic x1000 CPU and has an Linux OS as many devices such as xDuoo X3ii, X20, Shnaling .. etc. I've already made the Rockbox port for X3ii and X20, so I think it would be pretty easy to port it to AP80 too.
But unlike xDuoo, Hidizs doesn't seem very interested in porting alternative software on their player...

...If Hidizs decides to help me on RB port on their AP80 device - then RB will appear."

who knows, maybe one day.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,940 of 4,614
Yes I think the user is Xvortex

This is a quote from him:

"AP80 is based on the Ingenic x1000 CPU and has an Linux OS as many devices such as xDuoo X3ii, X20, Shnaling .. etc. I've already made the Rockbox port for X3ii and X20, so I think it would be pretty easy to port it to AP80 too.
But unlike xDuoo, Hidizs doesn't seem very interested in porting alternative software on their player...

...If Hidizs decides to help me on RB port on their AP80 device - then RB will appear."

who knows, maybe one day.

I asked and he said he's not doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back