AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
May 16, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #2,896 of 4,614
How many characters does the display show per entry in FILE BROWSER mode? What does this look like? I browse my library exclusively with file structure because metadata is too annoying to manage, and I am having a frustratingly hard time finding screenshots or reviews mentioning the file browser on this or other players featuring HibyOS. I currently have an M0 and am rather frustrated by its limit of 10 characters without scrolling; lots of wasted space in the UI for smoother looks rather than utility (there's a pointless large folder/file icon and the font size is way too big so as to fill up the menu entry rather than doing something useful like fitting two lines of text), and I have to rearrange names of a lot of my folders and tracks to be able to tell them apart.

For example, if I have a folder named "TOHO EUROBEAT VOL.10 HIGHLY RESPONSIVE TO PRAYERS" and the crucial bit (number) gets cut off. My main reason for upgrading DAP would be to prevent this problem.

May 16, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #2,897 of 4,614
Great review George! Though some people have issue with the player, when I use it I really enjoy it. Excellent sound. And I never have need to put it in my pocket, so no problem. Sure, it's not perfect, but what in this world is?
Sorry. Some? The FW is beta, the lock mechanism is not really working. The volume knob / power/wake up button is crappy, the database is NOT! working, you have a file limit and so on! That's the point we are talking about not about "phantasm reviews" without any comment about the bugs / issues and other "funny things". All these reviews are useless without any comment about the facts!

The AP80 does not cache any database items! I need several minutes to get into the genre mode for example! That's fact! I cannot store more than 15.000 files, cause the database is limited! That's fact! The whole GUI and database design is full of crap - that's fact! In 2019! My first DAP was much better... in 2003!

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #2,898 of 4,614
Sorry. Some? The FW is beta, the lock mechanism is not really working. The volume knob / power/wake up button is crappy, the database is NOT! working, you have a file limit and so on! That's the point we are talking about not about "phantasm reviews" without any comment about the bugs / issues and other "funny things". All these reviews are useless without any comment about the facts!

The AP80 does not cache any database items! I need several minutes to get into the genre mode for example! That's fact! I cannot store more than 15.000 files, cause the database is limited! That's fact! The whole GUI and database design is full of crap - that's fact! In 2019! My first DAP was much better... in 2003!
I'm pretty sure the point of beta software is to test and find issues that users are bound to experience. Also, if you find the UI and database in a device to be full of crap, that's not a fact, it's merely your opinion. If you think your 16 year old DAP is better anyway, why don't you use it then? There's not much of a reason to be on this thread if you're only going to talk about why you think the AP80 is so terrible and insult other's reviews that claim different opinions

May 16, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2,899 of 4,614

In the midst of all this angst, just saying it works for me. As is. Original firmware from KS campaign. Go figure. Wish you all the best going forward man. Take care.....

May 17, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #2,900 of 4,614
I'm pretty sure the point of beta software is to test and find issues that users are bound to experience. Also, if you find the UI and database in a device to be full of crap, that's not a fact, it's merely your opinion. If you think your 16 year old DAP is better anyway, why don't you use it then? There's not much of a reason to be on this thread if you're only going to talk about why you think the AP80 is so terrible and insult other's reviews that claim different opinions
Its this kind of attitude which will make companies like Hidizs keep a..f..ing their customers. Some here who have the courage to say it as it is are damn right about the useless reviews - especially the first review from IryxBRO which started this thread which made me fall into the trap. I do love the AP80 SQ but the firmware and useability issues drive me mad.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #2,901 of 4,614
Its this kind of attitude which will make companies like Hidizs keep a..f..ing their customers.
How so? Sorry if I came off as rude, I just felt like saying something after he called out a few reviews for being useless for not mentioning issues he was experiencing

May 17, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #2,902 of 4,614
How so? Sorry if I came off as rude, I just felt like saying something after he called out a few reviews for being useless for not mentioning issues he was experiencing
BTW have any of you noticed that the thread starter IryxBRO has nothing to say about the issues of the AP80 while elsewhere (on his website and HF) he keeps promoting other Hidizs products. He seems to have some kind of connection with Hidizs and it would be so very nice of him to ask them for at least one last damn firmware upgrade for the AP80 to address the major issues. One of the worst issue I have is that on screen play/pause and next buttons are almost always unresponsive (its a firmware issues because when I sweep the 'Now paying' screen left and back the buttons work again temporarily. I have removed the screen protector to increase the touchscreen sensitivity - but in vain. To make matters worst my hardware 'Next' button has sunken, though its still working (for how long?) and sometimes stays flush with the players body and needs to be wiggled out. In fact I no longer use the silicon case because the next button is no longer tactile and diificult to press with the case.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #2,904 of 4,614
Well, according to Hidizs Facebook post made 4 hours ago, firmware v1.1 has been released. Will this be a fix for many people with issues, I don't know but wanted to let the followers of this thread know. Here is the post: https://www.facebook.com/pg/hidizs/posts/?ref=page_internal
Thank you for the notice, I really appreciate. I subscribed to their mailing list but they didn't send me an update so it is nice of you to inform us.

Now I just updated my AP-80 and the only small problems I had with the device are now gone (don't put the update into a folder like I did at first). The device scan my entire library now without crashing, I can even shut it down and now it remember where it was when I press play on the screen. Still no hiss, hum, noise, etc.

Can't be happier. Who knew they where still working on it...

May 17, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #2,906 of 4,614
How many characters does the display show per entry in FILE BROWSER mode? What does this look like? I browse my library exclusively with file structure because metadata is too annoying to manage, and I am having a frustratingly hard time finding screenshots or reviews mentioning the file browser on this or other players featuring HibyOS. I currently have an M0 and am rather frustrated by its limit of 10 characters without scrolling; lots of wasted space in the UI for smoother looks rather than utility (there's a pointless large folder/file icon and the font size is way too big so as to fill up the menu entry rather than doing something useful like fitting two lines of text), and I have to rearrange names of a lot of my folders and tracks to be able to tell them apart.

For example, if I have a folder named "TOHO EUROBEAT VOL.10 HIGHLY RESPONSIVE TO PRAYERS" and the crucial bit (number) gets cut off. My main reason for upgrading DAP would be to prevent this problem.

The file browser list shows about 25 characters, depending on kerning, when font is set to small. It does not scroll.

May 19, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,910 of 4,614
Yeah, I understand this is not cool. Especially as they announced it.

But, honestly, who really listeneds to DSD on the go?
What for?
I do listen to DSD at work. I have the privilege of working at a place where my employer is happy if we listen to music when we work instead of talking to each other ^^
And for what I do it really help for concentration.
The difference here is that I bought my AP80 after the kickstarter campaign on Aliexpress and DSD's are working perfectly.
Sorry for those who beta tested the device for us, I would be seriously mad too if my hardware was faulty. Maybe if you ask them nicely they can do something for you.
(Most Chinese are supposed to follow the ''Wude'' martial code of honor if you respect them)

Because when I thought the battery of my AP80 was draining too fast they where ready to send me another one. But I was really polite with them and they where too. In the end it was on my side, so I kept the one I bought.

Good luck for those having problems. But personally even with games I don't buy early access, when I was younger they would pay you to be a beta tester, now people pay to be the tester...go figure. I love kickstarter the last one I bought was a board game but I would never buy any electronics on it, where do you go for your warranty if something doesn't work after that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back