AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
May 8, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #2,881 of 4,614
C

Changing microsd card will fix DSD issues... sure.

Also, how many people believe the issue does not exist... There are a lot more who confirmed that it does exist. It's a general issue and a fix by Hidizs is more than desired.

Yes, the issue is real for many/most owners of this DAP. And of course changing SD card and resetting system settings makes no difference, I've tried.

May 8, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #2,882 of 4,614
Yes, the issue is real for many/most owners of this DAP. And of course changing SD card and resetting system settings makes no difference, I've tried.
One of the features I would really like to be fixed is the resume function. My AP80 doesn't resume if I power off and also if I cycle between Player & Bluetooth mode. Coming from an iBasso DX50 I really love the AP80 but the broken resume function makes me so want to ditch it (unfortunately can't afford that right now). Also I remember that my Cowon D2 had the option whereby I could set the 'Play Now' as default start-up screen - that would be very cool if it could be implemented for the AP80.

May 8, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #2,883 of 4,614
C

Changing microsd card will fix DSD issues... sure.

Also, how many people believe the issue does not exist... There are a lot more who confirmed that it does exist. It's a general issue and a fix by Hidizs is more than desired.
You probably never heard of Zoom. They build professional recording device of all kind and all the music and movie industry use them...

https://www.zoom-na.com/

This is what they say:

SD Card Usage Precautions

Some SD Cards may have a production defect that can cause noise in the recording or result in blank data. Before starting an important recording session, doing a trial run is recommended, to verify that the card operates properly.

http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13188

This is a quote related to the new Sony audiophile SD Card:

''digital systems are inherently noise resistant, and often include error correction. There is no SD card or cable in the world that will help improve digital transmission if all the data is already being successfully transmitted. However, analog systems are susceptible to noise. In fact, a significant amount of analog design is dedicated to dealing with noise. In addition to random noise, which is introduced by thermal movement or other random processes in the devices, analog signals are also susceptible to interference, or other nearby signals which can corrupt the analog signal. Nearby electromagnetic fields can couple to analog traces on the board, degrading performance. A significant effort goes into carefully routing and shielding analog traces, as well as moving sources of interference further away.

High speed digital systems are a large source of interference. The fact that digital systems involve several wires switching at "full swing" at high frequency means that it produces a comparatively large electromagnetic field in the immediate vicinity. Again, a significant effort goes into keeping digital and analog components apart from each other in high quality audio systems. If your analog trace goes next to a memory running at hundreds of MHz, it will effectively increase the noise floor of your audio. ''

Have a nice day.

May 8, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #2,884 of 4,614
One of the features I would really like to be fixed is the resume function. My AP80 doesn't resume if I power off and also if I cycle between Player & Bluetooth mode. Coming from an iBasso DX50 I really love the AP80 but the broken resume function makes me so want to ditch it (unfortunately can't afford that right now). Also I remember that my Cowon D2 had the option whereby I could set the 'Play Now' as default start-up screen - that would be very cool if it could be implemented for the AP80.
I have found that if I pause the player, and then power it off, when powering back on it will resume from that spot. I still have to invoke the player before pressing the pause button again, but then it starts right up where I left it. Kind of annoying, this method. But it works.

May 8, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #2,885 of 4,614
You probably never heard of Zoom. They build professional recording device of all kind and all the music and movie industry use them...

https://www.zoom-na.com/

This is what they say:

SD Card Usage Precautions

Some SD Cards may have a production defect that can cause noise in the recording or result in blank data. Before starting an important recording session, doing a trial run is recommended, to verify that the card operates properly.

http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13188

This is a quote related to the new Sony audiophile SD Card:

''digital systems are inherently noise resistant, and often include error correction. There is no SD card or cable in the world that will help improve digital transmission if all the data is already being successfully transmitted. However, analog systems are susceptible to noise. In fact, a significant amount of analog design is dedicated to dealing with noise. In addition to random noise, which is introduced by thermal movement or other random processes in the devices, analog signals are also susceptible to interference, or other nearby signals which can corrupt the analog signal. Nearby electromagnetic fields can couple to analog traces on the board, degrading performance. A significant effort goes into carefully routing and shielding analog traces, as well as moving sources of interference further away.

High speed digital systems are a large source of interference. The fact that digital systems involve several wires switching at "full swing" at high frequency means that it produces a comparatively large electromagnetic field in the immediate vicinity. Again, a significant effort goes into keeping digital and analog components apart from each other in high quality audio systems. If your analog trace goes next to a memory running at hundreds of MHz, it will effectively increase the noise floor of your audio. ''

Have a nice day.
Cool, but they’re talking about the misplacement of analog traces on board next to something running memory. A hardware or bad design issue of a particular piece of equipment. Not your card.
The Zoom thing (which I have had a few and have used for years) is more of a general statement that your card could be not working properly (just bad or faulty).
Anyways, glad yours is working fine.

May 8, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #2,886 of 4,614
I actually like it a lot, but it’s unfinished it doesn’t make good business sense..I won’t rebuy front then...

A lot of us here got our units via Kickstarter, so we funded the project. Hidizs was so very attentive and assuring during the campaign and just after. Reassuring us with promises of firmware and support. Then, when they got our money....they cut the line and disappeared. So we just waited...and waited.
I don’t hate the unit, I like it but it’s unfinished. Seems to be the MO for a lot of Chinese DAP makers (which there are many). Unfortunate, really. They lost a lot of future customers.

May 9, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #2,887 of 4,614
I have found that if I pause the player, and then power it off, when powering back on it will resume from that spot. I still have to invoke the player before pressing the pause button again, but then it starts right up where I left it. Kind of annoying, this method. But it works.
Thanks for the heads-up bro. This explains why my AP80 sometime resumes. A nice stop-gap solution until (if ever?) Hidizs decides to release an update.

May 9, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #2,888 of 4,614

Strange, I don't have to do this to get resume to work. I mean, I still have to manually re-enter the player, but I power off the AP80 while it's playing and when I turn it back on (and re-enter the player for reasons) and hit play (again, for reasons), it starts back where it was.

In my mind, and the way that "resume" works in every other player I've used the past twenty years, is that when I turn it on, the music starts back where I was with no further interaction needed. I remember mentioning this bizarre "not resume but more of an automatic bookmark" feature was stupid and bad and wrong when I first got my device. Of course, Hidizs also promised podcast support in a future firmware before they got our money, so I'm not too surprised by the lack of post-sales firmware updates.

May 14, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #2,889 of 4,614
My review on HIDIZS AP80 is live now, a bit late maybe :)

I'm curious what people feel about it nowadays as well :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/05/hidizs-ap80-review-mini-square-one-dap.html

HIDIZS-AP80-AP-80-DAP-Player-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-32.jpg

May 14, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #2,890 of 4,614
I'm curious what people feel about it nowadays as well :)
George - very good write-up. As usual for you!!
As for what people feel about Hidizs nowadays, let's just say the AP80 is my first and last Hidizs product. I personally, will never buy Hidizs again. And that is a shame, since the AP80 is not bad at all.
I am done with Hidizs as a company.
For context, I own several entry level DAPs from FiiO, HiBy and Shanling. All Chinese companies. All offer good value. All (other than Hidizs) provide good support and try to deliver on their promises.
Hidizs on the other hand promised A LOT during the crowd funding campaign, delivered NONE of the promises, have NOT updated the firmware in months (and there is a list of known bugs), and gone totally silent! At least on Head-Fi.

Conclusion:
If you're reading this post, you're probably looking for entry level DAP. My advice to you: buy FiiO, HiBy or Shanling! All 3 companies would make you happier!

Did I answer your question George? :wink:

May 15, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #2,891 of 4,614
I described the issue @posting

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-190#post-14905312

The whole device is an ALPHA device!
In many cases the device lost the position.

btw. and another USESLESS review!
Where are the issues? You cannot! use this device as "mobile device" cause the lock mechanism is full of crap!

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,893 of 4,614
George - very good write-up. As usual for you!!
As for what people feel about Hidizs nowadays, let's just say the AP80 is my first and last Hidizs product. I personally, will never buy Hidizs again. And that is a shame, since the AP80 is not bad at all.
I am done with Hidizs as a company.
For context, I own several entry level DAPs from FiiO, HiBy and Shanling. All Chinese companies. All offer good value. All (other than Hidizs) provide good support and try to deliver on their promises.
Hidizs on the other hand promised A LOT during the crowd funding campaign, delivered NONE of the promises, have NOT updated the firmware in months (and there is a list of known bugs), and gone totally silent! At least on Head-Fi.

Conclusion:
If you're reading this post, you're probably looking for entry level DAP. My advice to you: buy FiiO, HiBy or Shanling! All 3 companies would make you happier!

Did I answer your question George? :wink:

Very fair things, I really want to know how people feel about it :)

I tried my best to convey the situation as I see it about it :)

Excellent review!!!!

Thank you very much, and happy you like it!!

May 15, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #2,894 of 4,614
May 15, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #2,895 of 4,614
Sure, it's not perfect, but what in this world is?
Most people (me included) understand nothing is perfect, but most people expect the company to keep improving the product (through FW upgrades). Not forever but for AT LEAST say 1 year? This device never saw any improvement! Some people call the FW beta (or even alpha)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back