AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
May 19, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #2,911 of 4,614
I do listen to DSD at work. I have the privilege of working at a place where my employer is happy if we listen to music when we work instead of talking to each other ^^
And for what I do it really help for concentration.
The difference here is that I bought my AP80 after the kickstarter campaign on Aliexpress and DSD's are working perfectly.
Sorry for those who beta tested the device for us, I would be seriously mad too if my hardware was faulty. Maybe if you ask them nicely they can do something for you.
(Most Chinese are supposed to follow the ''Wude'' martial code of honor if you respect them)

Because when I thought the battery of my AP80 was draining too fast they where ready to send me another one. But I was really polite with them and they where too. In the end it was on my side, so I kept the one I bought.

Good luck for those having problems. But personally even with games I don't buy early access, when I was younger they would pay you to be a beta tester, now people pay to be the tester...go figure. I love kickstarter the last one I bought was a board game but I would never buy any electronics on it, where do you go for your warranty if something doesn't work after that?

@Seb Julien , It might actually be possible that your player and @cazone 's AP80's are playing DSD the same way. How? Well, I tested some DSD files in my AP80, and in my AP200. (Yes I "love" the minimal customer service...)
Anyway, on the AP80, I can hear a noticable "hiss" (or low level background noise) listening through Moondrop Kanas Pro's. Only can hear it during low volume sections of the music, but hiss/noise is there. On the AP200, with the same files, there is no noticable hiss/noise. So, at least some AP80's are adding some hiss/noise that the AP200 does not. It's fairly low level noise (for me) on the KP's and also on some Massdrop HD6XX's. If I was not specifically looking for it, I might not have noticed the "DSD Hiss". And with cleaner, acoustic, and low volume sections or music, you can hear the hiss. Where with most rock, hip hop, full orchestra, etc. It is easy to not hear that background hiss at all.
Also, Flac versions of the same music do not have the "DSD Hiss" on the AP80. So, it's not an Amp issue; or on the Original Recording itself.

All that being said, it may also be that your earphones don't pick up the hiss; Or you could be correct and be lucky to have zero "DSD Hiss" on your AP80.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #2,912 of 4,614
It's a bit of a mystery how some people have the DSD problem and some don't, even on the same firmware. Faulty decoder chip? The first time I listened to a DSD album I didn't even notice it, Michael Jackson's Thriller. But once I read about it here it was plainly obvious, especially on quieter tracks, yes. I'm trying to record the output to a sound file to show the horribleness of this hissing/distortion. Makes DSDs totally unlistenable.

May 19, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #2,913 of 4,614
@Seb Julien , It might actually be possible that your player and @cazone 's AP80's are playing DSD the same way. How? Well, I tested some DSD files in my AP80, and in my AP200. (Yes I "love" the minimal customer service...)
Anyway, on the AP80, I can hear a noticable "hiss" (or low level background noise) listening through Moondrop Kanas Pro's. Only can hear it during low volume sections of the music, but hiss/noise is there. On the AP200, with the same files, there is no noticable hiss/noise. So, at least some AP80's are adding some hiss/noise that the AP200 does not. It's fairly low level noise (for me) on the KP's and also on some Massdrop HD6XX's. If I was not specifically looking for it, I might not have noticed the "DSD Hiss". And with cleaner, acoustic, and low volume sections or music, you can hear the hiss. Where with most rock, hip hop, full orchestra, etc. It is easy to not hear that background hiss at all.
Also, Flac versions of the same music do not have the "DSD Hiss" on the AP80. So, it's not an Amp issue; or on the Original Recording itself.

All that being said, it may also be that your earphones don't pick up the hiss; Or you could be correct and be lucky to have zero "DSD Hiss" on your AP80.
I already did the test a couple of ago with someone here. He gave me the link to some DSD where his device would give him hiss and not mine with the same files with different setups (never tried blue tooth). If you have a link to some music where I could test them to see if I could hear the hiss too. (Please no Rap of Hip hop). I can ask my 2 friends who own the device too if they have the same problem, if they have time.

May 19, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #2,914 of 4,614
It's a bit of a mystery how some people have the DSD problem and some don't, even on the same firmware. Faulty decoder chip? The first time I listened to a DSD album I didn't even notice it, Michael Jackson's Thriller. But once I read about it here it was plainly obvious, especially on quieter tracks, yes. I'm trying to record the output to a sound file to show the horribleness of this hissing/distortion. Makes DSDs totally unlistenable.
Ok right now I have been listening to Thriller for more than an hour, unless you have a better version:

DSD 64
sample rate: 2822.4Khz
Bit depth: 1 bit
Bitrate: 5644 kbps
the album is 1.66G
I hope we have the same version.

And no there is no hiss, on Beat it and Billy Jean it would have been really obvious.

May 20, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #2,915 of 4,614
Well, according to Hidizs Facebook post made 4 hours ago, firmware v1.1 has been released. Will this be a fix for many people with issues, I don't know but wanted to let the followers of this thread know. Here is the post: https://www.facebook.com/pg/hidizs/posts/?ref=page_internal
they implemented a volume knob lock, BUT the "power off" issue is still existing. The lock mechanism is not working for a power off by a mistake... (3 sec button press without any other lock mechanism).

May 20, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #2,916 of 4,614
they implemented a volume knob lock, BUT the "power off" issue is still existing. The lock mechanism is not working for a power off by a mistake... (3 sec button press without any other lock mechanism).
I think it can't be done if you need the volume knob to unlock the player. It would have been great if they had implemented a long-press for lock/unlock with the play/pause button.
BTW the resume function now works when you turn off and on - however from player mode to bluetooth and back it's not still not working. Most importantly for me the on-screen buttons in music player screen now work.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,917 of 4,614
I already did the test a couple of ago with someone here. He gave me the link to some DSD where his device would give him hiss and not mine with the same files with different setups (never tried blue tooth). If you have a link to some music where I could test them to see if I could hear the hiss too. (Please no Rap of Hip hop). I can ask my 2 friends who own the device too if they have the same problem, if they have time.

I could test dsd too.
Would someone point me to some free dsd test files? So we could talk about the same thing.
Thanks!

PS: I installed V1.1 and the database is working now. I'm happy

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #2,919 of 4,614
I just compared :

original CD 16BIT/44kHz vs Stereo DSD 64 2.8224Mbit/s

Joseph Haydn: String Quartet In D, Op. 76, No. 5 - Finale - Presto
Engegård Quartet

found here http://www.2l.no/hires/

TinAudio T2 on the AP80.
There is very audible hiss. There is no doubt. You hear it in the first seconds.

I already did the test with other people with this exact same file, and some of us don't have any hiss, or hum, or noise, etc. Even with DSD 128 using my T3 (that's the closest I have to your T2) and every headphone and earphone I own. Same thing for my brother in law and my nephew.
I even plugged the AP80 in my mixer then my Octal CCDA, and no I don't have any hiss.
Go back a couple of post start reading there:
Post #2823 of 2917

Its feels like Groundhog day around here...

May 20, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #2,920 of 4,614
I already did the test with other people with this exact same file, and some of us don't have any hiss, or hum, or noise, etc. Even with DSD 128 using my T3 (that's the closest I have to your T2) and every headphone and earphone I own. Same thing for my brother in law and my nephew.
I even plugged the AP80 in my mixer then my Octal CCDA, and no I don't have any hiss.
Go back a couple of post start reading there:
Post #2823 of 2917

Its feels like Groundhog day around here...

hi,
sorry, didn't see your previous post....
Happy for you having no hiss.
Could be a SD card thing. Or my AP80 ...

I'll try with the AP80 as a transport for the mojo.

c*

May 20, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #2,921 of 4,614
I could test dsd too.
Would someone point me to some free dsd test files? So we could talk about the same thing.
Thanks!

PS: I installed V1.1 and the database is working now. I'm happy
I don't know what you have tested but the database is laggy as before (no item cachings (pictures and other database items). A jump into a category genre for example is very, very slow until item displaying....
It seems a manual skip between tracks is a little bit better. Before the latest FW there were many crackles and other sounds while track changing by a manual skip. (edit: not correct, I found the same problems as before -> not fixed yet).
The EQ-issue with the bands and pre-gain is still existing (It's hard to pick the last band (16 KHz?)).
In summary, the latest FW fixed a little bit but it's too less. In addition the volume knob lock / unlock mechanism is okay, but not really needed cause the "power off" lock mechanism is still missed!

btw. playing through folder / album is not working with database....it's the same behaviour as before.... in summary. The AP80 is not usable with database just via folder....

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #2,923 of 4,614
Sorry... can anyone please explain to me what the '3. Add a volume control knob feature' is in the recent update? Is this some kind of lock?

I updated to V1.1 but other than the visual indicator mods, I don't notice anything different about the volume knob...

thanks!

:)

May 21, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,924 of 4,614
In the settings you can lock / unlock the volume via hard button. :wink:

... I found a NEW issue with the latest FW. The pre-gain of the EQ lost after reboot. Every time I have full power on my headphones....now, the device has a PRE-ALPHA status and sorry, this is not funny anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back