AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Apr 16, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #2,822 of 4,614
Never again am I backing a product by Hidizs
Pathetic is an understatement regarding their support for this device
I was trying to be a little bit more mellow, but I totally agree with you!

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #2,823 of 4,614
They just re-released a new batch of the device on Aliexpress. I don't think they will abandon it already. And I don't wanna repeat myself...but I do not have any problems reading perfectly DSD format and my friends either. Is it possible that you have a problem on the hardware side and not everyone is affected by it? Like the wobbling knob.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #2,824 of 4,614
They just re-released a new batch of the device on Aliexpress. I don't think they will abandon it already. And I don't wanna repeat myself...but I do not have any problems reading perfectly DSD format and my friends either. Is it possible that you have a problem on the hardware side and not everyone is affected by it? Like the wobbling knob.

Okay, here is a free DSD file you can download to your AP80 and test. On my AP80 this sounds like an unlistenable mess of gurgling hiss and noise. It's the first track: Hoff: Innocence by Hoff Ensemble. It's downloadable in a variety of formats. You can compare it to one of the non-DSD formats of the same track, which sound completely hiss-free on my DAP. I would love to find out if this sounds OK on your device, as that would mean the DSD problem is limited to certain devices, which I highly doubt...

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #2,825 of 4,614
Okay, here is a free DSD file you can download to your AP80 and test. On my AP80 this sounds like an unlistenable mess of gurgling hiss and noise. It's the first track: Hoff: Innocence by Hoff Ensemble. It's downloadable in a variety of formats. You can compare it to one of the non-DSD formats of the same track, which sound completely hiss-free on my DAP. I would love to find out if this sounds OK on your device, as that would mean the DSD problem is limited to certain devices, which I highly doubt...

http://www.2l.no/hires/
Thank you for the reply. I just downloaded half of the files on that page. And I listened twice the one you mentioned. Just to make sure this is the name. ( And to make sure everyone knows: the AP80 can only support DSD 64/128):

Hoff: Innocence
Hoff Ensemble
Stereo DSD 128
5.6448Mbit/s

423MB

My device plays the file perfectly. Are you certain it is the 128 and not the 256 you are playing?

Good luck.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #2,826 of 4,614
Thank you for the reply. I just downloaded half of the files on that page. And I listened twice the one you mentioned. Just to make sure this is the name. ( And to make sure everyone knows: the AP80 can only support DSD 64/128):

Hoff: Innocence
Hoff Ensemble
Stereo DSD 128
5.6448Mbit/s

423MB

My device plays the file perfectly. Are you certain it is the 128 and not the 256 you are playing?

I just tried the DSD64 one. And compared it to the CD 16bit/44kHz one, which is perfectly clear and silent.

Have you tried listening with headphones as this will show up the noise better?

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,828 of 4,614
2 set of earphones and 2 set of headphones. No noise, no hiss, etc. I will download the 64 and the 256 just to compare with the 128.
I just listened to the 64, it was perfect too. And obviously the 256 gave me an error. I thought it would start and gave me all kind of artifact, but no.
Maybe try resetting the AP80 maybe you touched something you should not.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #2,829 of 4,614
I just listened to the 64, it was perfect too. And obviously the 256 gave me an error. I thought it would start and gave me all kind of artifact, but no.
Maybe try resetting the AP80 maybe you touched something you should not.

Thanks for testing this. I will try a reset, but this was one of the first things I noticed with my AP80. Which firmware are you on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back