AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #2,717 of 4,614
Hi all, I followed your advice on getting my cover art to show and it worked like a dream. Thanks once again.

Sorry who's advice did you follow? I'm having no luck on mine - only about 40% of my art shows.

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #2,718 of 4,614
So, something of interest. I normally format my cards, using FAT32, via EaseUS Partition, as I also use cards in a Zishan DSD which can't cope with exFAT filesysystems.

Today, I formatted the card in exFat, and dumped 16GiB of FLACs onto it.

Scanning, took a long long time. I'd be curious if anyone who is having scanning issues has better results via a fat32 formatted card. Perhaps the lower level file operations are easier in FAT32 than they are in exFAT.

I had and still have scanning issues.
Formated my card from exFAT to fat32. And rolled back from FW 1.01 to 1.0.

80% of my music is now detected.(better than the 0% previously)

Give it a try. Maybe it is successful in your case.

Would be helpful if @Hidizs would address the problem .

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,719 of 4,614
Hi all, I followed your advice on getting my cover art to show and it worked like a dream. Thanks once again.
I hate when a song comes up on my player and it has no picture. That’s why I make it a priority to add cover art too! I’ve taken to replacing some cover art (mostly stuff from greatest hits comps) and adding the best photo I can find of that artist and adding it as a tag. Makes me enjoy looking at the player while I’m listening.

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,720 of 4,614
Sorry who's advice did you follow? I'm having no luck on mine - only about 40% of my art shows.

Where is your cover art coming from? What file type(s) are you inputting to the AP80? There are several ways that cover art gets associated with a track or album and there are at least two different formats of cover art. There are also some good apps for fixing your problem but we need to know more.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #2,722 of 4,614
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #2,723 of 4,614
I had and still have scanning issues.
Formated my card from exFAT to fat32. And rolled back from FW 1.01 to 1.0.

80% of my music is now detected.(better than the 0% previously)

Give it a try. Maybe it is successful in your case.

Would be helpful if @Hidizs would address the problem .

Have you tried using the Hiby music analyzer program to see if the scanner is choking on a specific file or files?

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #2,724 of 4,614
Where is your cover art coming from? What file type(s) are you inputting to the AP80? There are several ways that cover art gets associated with a track or album and there are at least two different formats of cover art. There are also some good apps for fixing your problem but we need to know more.

Most of my tracks have cover art already tagged.. mixture of .mp3 and flac, though I'm not aware of the cover art sizes - seems that if the comment below is accurate, I will need to double check that they are all 500x500 and renamed to cover.jpg (some aren't labelled this if my memory serves me)
I have used MP3tag forever, and can confirm that all art reads perfectly in Fubar, WMP and on my phone - I think its a situation where AP80 is just expecting to see something and my files are inconsistent.

Several on here. . I went into the files on the AP80 and made sure that the image was below 500x500 and renamed the file cover.jpg It worked perfectly for me.

Thanks for following up - looks like I have a lot of work to do! :)

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #2,726 of 4,614
I use two 256gb Sandisk cards with no issues running 1.0.1 firmware.

I did notice that the AP80 does not like cover art over a certain size. Anything beyond 1000x1000 did not show up for me so I fixed those FLAC files using MP3Tag.

I wish there was an option for artist cover art instead of randomly selecting the art from an album by that artist. I use the PlayerPro music app on my phone and you can download artist photos or add your own.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #2,727 of 4,614
The DSD situation is a joke. It's supposed to be a pristine sounding "Hi-Res" format. On the AP80 it sounds like an 8-bit mp3

Is that on firmware 1.0? I am using firmware 1.0 and there are no problems with Michael Jackson's Thriller in DSD. Not sure if better DSD formats cause problems due to processing time. Another bottleneck could be slow SD card resulting in data not being accessible fast enough. Think Class 10 cards work fine though.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #2,728 of 4,614
Is that on firmware 1.0? I am using firmware 1.0 and there are no problems with Michael Jackson's Thriller in DSD. Not sure if better DSD formats cause problems due to processing time. Another bottleneck could be slow SD card resulting in data not being accessible fast enough. Think Class 10 cards work fine though.

The problem is well documented here on all firmware versions, including 1.0.1 which mine came with. It's a low-volume backgroud hiss/distortion noise which you wouldn't notice on loud tracks, such as on Thriller. Try listening to a jazz/folk/classical track with quiet bits and the noise is immediately apparent. What's more, the three DSD "ouput modes", ie PCM, DoP, and Native, produce exactly the same sound and noise, so I suspect these are fake settings too. I'm using a fast U3 SD card, with 100MB/s read speeds, and 24-bit 192KHz FLACs play fine, with a higher bit-rate than DSD. The device is unusable with DSD files as stands.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #2,729 of 4,614
Have you tried using the Hiby music analyzer program to see if the scanner is choking on a specific file or files?

Nope. Where do I find this analysis program? Thank you

I use two 256gb Sandisk cards with no issues running 1.0.1 firmware.

Lucky you. My 256go SanDisk works perfectly in the AP60. The AP80 crashes during scanning..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back