AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Mar 20, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #2,746 of 4,614
I thought that at the beginning too, but I realised the default slider range in MSEB is too much, change it to 'middling' -40~+40 and it's much easier to dial in subtle changes. Depending on your headphones it sounds great without MSEB, but I find certain albums or certain headphones benefit greatly from what it can offer.
Have you tried the Soundfield setting in the preferences? That works pretty well too.

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #2,747 of 4,614
You could be right. Has anyone out there had success loading 10k of files, and if so how did you do it?

I have a 128Go Samsung card and the 256Go SanDisk.
The Samsung scans fine. The 256Go SanDisk freezes at approx. 5000 files (of 7300).

Hey @Hidizs Hk the AP80 is really a great little player! Sound is superb, form factor is great. Don't let yourself down. Fix the Firmware !

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #2,748 of 4,614
The database of the AP80 can hold a max. by 15K, but you can use music playing via folder (the data base ignores all files >15K - all my files are scanned without any problems, but 5K are not included, in my case the data base is useless so I have to use the folders).
In case of data base NO next album / next folder playback is possible, this is just possible via folder play.
The sound of the 80 is really good, but the device (lock button mechanism) / GUI / database is more than poor! In 2019 a file limit by 15K is strange and there is no file caching inside the database.
It seems, the asian app developers are not involved in standards (FiiO, Hidizs, Hiby and Co).

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #2,757 of 4,614
Thanks man, I'm going to try it, I believe the cable that comes with the Hidizs is for both data and charging right?

YEs, it's meant for power and data. Also... Some folks believe that you'll get a cleaner sound with a Data Only cable; Because the "noise" from the poor quality usb power won't be going to the AP80's (or ANY USB DAC's) battery/power supply, and possibly showing up as spikes in the amps...

To make sure it's not a Power plus Data cable; Just plug the "data only" cable you get into the AP80 and a powered USB Port. If the AP80 starts charging, it's not a data only cable.
I have seen data-only cables on EBAY and AliExpress.

(There are also "power only" USB cables, which the best of us when we can't get our device to connect to our PC's... Never will if it's power only! Unfortunatey I've never found any markings on USB cables specifying whether they are data only, power only, or both. Normally they are both data and power.)

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #2,758 of 4,614
I have some feedback about issues/improvements on the AP80 as of the 1.0.1 beta firmware.

1) Compilation albums under various artists do not get sorted by track number, but instead it gets sorted by artist name. It is a problem because I cannot listen to the album I want in the proper order, and it is by far the biggest issue I have with the firmware.

2) Albums from different artists that happen to have the same name get lumped together (under the Album menu).

3) Album name is not shown in the player UI. I would like to have more options to customise the UI. I personally do not want to have the file format, bitrate and favourite button displayed and I would like the album name to be displayed instead.

4) 15,000 song limit is too little. Your competitor (Shanling M0) can do 40,000 songs.

5) Buttons do not work if you have the music paused and idling for awhile (i.e. I cannot resume play by pressing the button if I have it on pause for awhile).

6) Color theme is not universally applied; the USB storage mode and DAC mode background are not affected by the color theme.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,760 of 4,614
Simple solution: browse by folders. Who has time to sort out 10,000+ trackID tags?

If I have to browse by folders, it doesn't fix the compilation album issue and only makes it worse.

I have my entire music collection sorted in folders by <Artist> followed by <Album>. If I have to rearrange them by albums to accommodate the compilation album issue that it is going more time to undo the effort I put into sorting the files over the years.

It is kind of baffling to that this modern DAP has this weird quirk of not sorting compilation albums by track number. If I knew that beforehand I might have just settled for another player.

But anyway, I mainly listen by shuffling the entire library and I'll guess I'll live with that for now. Crossing my fingers that they fix this once the firmware is out of beta.

EDIT: Formatting issues

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back