AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Mar 28, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #2,761 of 4,614
If I have to browse by folders, it doesn't fix the compilation album issue and only makes it worse.

I have my entire music collection sorted in folders by <Artist> followed by <Album>. If I have to rearrange them by albums to accommodate the compilation album issue that it is going more time to undo the effort I put into sorting the files over the years.

It is kind of baffling to that this modern DAP has this weird quirk of not sorting compilation albums by track number. If I knew that beforehand I might have just settled for another player.

But anyway, I mainly listen by shuffling the entire library and I'll guess I'll live with that for now. Crossing my fingers that they fix this once the firmware is out of beta.

EDIT: Formatting issues

Based on the year-long never-ending beta for the AP60II firmware, I think you may be overly optimistic that we'll ever see another update to the AP80's software.

I have my music sorted <album artist>/<album>/<track> - <song name> and I haven't noticed a problem with albums from various artists. I'll have to check for sure, but I've got some sampler albums from the 1980s that seem to play just fine in the right sequence. Do your tracks have the track number in the filename? Not that it should matter in the database mode, since filenames should be irrelevant there, but it's just a thought.

There's a strange trend in the new generations of DAPs (as contrasted with the older MP3 player era), where song artist is the only thing the system cares about, and album artist is ignored. Also, the organization for Genre tracks is horrific. Genre, then all tracks? Not, Genre, Artist, Album? I'm convinced that Hiby (the main firmware maker for so many DAPs today) set a precedent that they'd ignore all the UI/UX design work done by everyone from Creative to iRiver to Sony to Apple, and just build a strange thing from the ground up. See also, audiobook and podcast support.

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #2,762 of 4,614
Based on the year-long never-ending beta for the AP60II firmware, I think you may be overly optimistic that we'll ever see another update to the AP80's software.

I have my music sorted <album artist>/<album>/<track> - <song name> and I haven't noticed a problem with albums from various artists. I'll have to check for sure, but I've got some sampler albums from the 1980s that seem to play just fine in the right sequence. Do your tracks have the track number in the filename? Not that it should matter in the database mode, since filenames should be irrelevant there, but it's just a thought.

There's a strange trend in the new generations of DAPs (as contrasted with the older MP3 player era), where song artist is the only thing the system cares about, and album artist is ignored. Also, the organization for Genre tracks is horrific. Genre, then all tracks? Not, Genre, Artist, Album? I'm convinced that Hiby (the main firmware maker for so many DAPs today) set a precedent that they'd ignore all the UI/UX design work done by everyone from Creative to iRiver to Sony to Apple, and just build a strange thing from the ground up. See also, audiobook and podcast support.

Thanks for the advice. I do not have the track number in the filename. But I just tried and tested sorting a compilation album with your advice but it still doesn't work. It still prioritises sorting by artist name instead of track number.

It is a really strange quirk for this DAP. Like you said, many makers before them have done the UI/UX correctly. I'm pretty darn sure my old Sony Ericsson W910 phone would have sorted it properly. I thought I was crazy to expect a player to play an album by the track number by default.

The funny thing is, it handles strange characters really well and I have not gotten any tofu on any of my weird track names. That tofu issue was something I got occasionally when on a Walkman/iPod Classic in the past.

I guess in the meantime I'm fine with just shuffling, if I ever need to listen to a compilation album in its intended order, I'll just use another device.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #2,763 of 4,614
im looking into a set of BT iems, either true or not. With a good all round sound but not weak bass as I read a lot have. My question is, what are a good set at a ~$100aud?. I mostly wanna use them with the ap80 while I'm riding my bicycle. Decent enough battery. Do I ask too much?

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,764 of 4,614
Simple solution: browse by folders. Who has time to sort out 10,000+ trackID tags?
I did it!
Reason?: @home I use squeezeboxes with a perfect server software / database!
I tagged all my albums many, many years ago....and I use mobile "MP3 player" since ~19 years (Creative Nomad was my first device). In many cases I cannot see a database improvement or other basics such replaygain, gapless playback etc. pp.
To work with a file limit by 15K is a joke - we have 2019 not 2000! The AP80 database does not cache anything (no cover caching for example), no album and folder play is possible due to database limitation etc. pp... you MUST use the folder function to play tagged files although you can use a normal database.....the whole GUI is a joke, button lock mechanism is a joke...the whole design is not a design based on 2019 but it'a a design based on 2000!

Mar 31, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #2,765 of 4,614
Mar 31, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #2,766 of 4,614
Why are your guys writing useless reviews without any comment about issues, errors and gaps?
WHERE can I find the issues with the data base, with the buttons (button lock / power / volume knob) and many more?

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #2,767 of 4,614
Why are your guys writing useless reviews without any comment about issues, errors and gaps?
WHERE can I find the issues with the data base, with the buttons (button lock / power / volume knob) and many more?

The only issue I found in the way I use DAPs, was DSD stutter, which was resolved with a firmware update.

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #2,768 of 4,614

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-141#post-14658122

Issues with the AP80s delivered so far (FW1.0):
1. When using Hiby Link feature of the HibyMusic Android app, the album art doesn't show up. It works for others.
2. The system sometimes crashes, then restarts (once a day). Does not happen for all users.
3. Typos (like: Vorbis is spelled as "VOROIS").
Others (English language):
'Music database up...'. What about 'Music database update' (or even 'Database update'), without the '...'?
'Button operation w...'. When what?
'Battery percentage...'. If space permits, what about 'Battery percentage display' (or even 'Batt. percentage display')?
4. No scrolling when the information is too long. Affecting touch-based players under HiBy OS.
5. LDAC implementation still missing. Waiting for LDAC implementation in the update.
6. Bluetooth pairing issues (need to repeat the pairing process). No problem for others.
7. DSD playback, serious issue for several users (noise, hiss, same file is played fine in other players). Not for all users.
8. Streaming audio to the AP80 from a smartphone: default is SBC, even if the smartphone should support AptX/LDAC. No override even if Developer Options are open.
Waiting for LDAC and AptX bi-directional implementations in the update.
9. Pedometer can be very unreliable (one step counted as 5). As discussed since sample release.
10. Podcasts/audiobooks support still missing. Waiting for podcast/audiobook implementations in the update.
11. 'Resume' not resuming as expected after AP80 is switched ON (need to start the player (tap icon) and press 'play' to resume playback).
12. FM issue (bad/no reception). No problem for others, good reception. Seems to depend on the "configuration, location, signal strength, etc..."
13. Battery seems to be draining unusually fast. Need a better battery optimization in the next firmware. Time will tell.
14. Songs/Album arts are lost after selecting '...' (vertical) then 'View album'.

Feel free to add/comment :wink: Should become more precise with more users/comments.

As explained already and pointed out again by @IryxBRO: HiByOS is not developed by Hidizs.
Some 'bugs' would also affect other players running this OS, issues should be addresssed to the Hidizs team who should forward them to HibyOS developers.

The AP80 player is a good player bringing a quality/nice sound as stated in independant reviews (check 1st post/1st page) and comments.

Other important missing item: AP80 detailed user manual. Looking forward to seeing links on Hidizs' site for manual and firmware updates.

Suggestions to improve/tweak the firmware, thus the AP80 functionality:
1. Lock screen: display artist and title of the song instead of the filename. @mono-type
2. Option to turn off the always on (?) and inaccurate pedometer. @Winterheim
3. Fixed (level of the) digital output, instead of a variable one, as discussed already here and/or KS.
4. Being able to change the default alphabetical listing at startup: option to select either All or Files or Albums or Artists at startup.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #2,769 of 4,614
I recently bought a SanDisk 256go micro SD card.
Filled it up with music. Readable on my MacBook and a windows 10 laptop.
Also on my AP60 v1.

But not the AP80....
Scanning does not work. There is no music found...
Any idea? Someone else had this problem?
I just ran into the same problem myself . With the card installed my computer could see the music files and play them. However, the AP80 told me "no music found". Tried 3 different cards with the same result. This morning I went back to firmware 1.0. Now it sees the files. Always something with the AP80. Still having problems with the database update though. Always freezes. Can only use the AP80 by playing through "All Files". Next to useless!

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #2,770 of 4,614
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #2,771 of 4,614
Been away for... likely a couple of months, and almost forgot about this player. Sad to see that nothing has changed, the promised updated FW is still not around. The only good thing is my surprise to find the battery at around 80% after this time.

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #2,772 of 4,614
I just ran into the same problem myself . With the card installed my computer could see the music files and play them. However, the AP80 told me "no music found". Tried 3 different cards with the same result. This morning I went back to firmware 1.0. Now it sees the files. Always something with the AP80. Still having problems with the database update though. Always freezes. Can only use the AP80 by playing through "All Files". Next to useless!
How many files are on your 256GB microSD card ? Did you test the same card but with fewer files ?

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #2,773 of 4,614
I have tried it with 28 files and with 240 files on my 32gb and 1238gb card. My 256gb has 2400 files on it. All the same. Database update always freezes. I'll keep trying to find a solution. Meanwhile, perhaps I'll order a Fiio.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #2,774 of 4,614
Could be the card. I have a SanDisk 64gb card that the AP80 had trouble with. I now use a 512gb Samsung EVO with no problems at all. 8000 files so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back