AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #2,311 of 4,614
Good job Hidizs on the LDAC update. That was fast.

I don't think it was that fast. According to the included readme file, FW ver. 1.0.1 beta was built last November 23, 2018, meaning they were holding off this update for a month (of course, with the exception of those with stainless steel models, which came pre-installed with 1.0.1 beta). If this post by Ken is to be believed, they're testing out LDAC before they made the update available to everyone. Well, at least they're making sure LDAC is working properly before they released the update file.

I can also confirm that bluetooth streaming goes beyond SBC now. So we can at least strike that off the list. When I look up the AP80 among my paired bluetooth devices on the Galaxy S8, there is now a toggle for LDAC.
So bi-directional Bluetooth is now working properly, and now streams aptX and LDAC, not just SBC? Looks like the AP80 users who bought it for LDAC finally got their money's worth. Hiby Link album art display still doesn't work properly, though; it doesn't display the album art on the HibyMusic app on Android (dunno on iOS version).

Still looking forward to further improvements (especially UI tweaks like ticker text scrolling, etc.) on a future firmware update. I hope Hidizs wouldn't stop there.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #2,312 of 4,614
I don't think it was that fast. According to the included readme file, FW ver. 1.0.1 beta was built last November 23, 2018, meaning they were holding off this update for a month (of course, with the exception of those with stainless steel models, which came pre-installed with 1.0.1 beta). If this post by Ken is to be believed, they're testing out LDAC before they made the update available to everyone. Well, at least they're making sure LDAC is working properly before they released the update file.

So bi-directional Bluetooth is now working properly, and now streams aptX and LDAC, not just SBC? Looks like the AP80 users who bought it for LDAC finally got their money's worth. Hiby Link album art display still doesn't work properly, though; it doesn't display the album art on the HibyMusic app on Android (dunno on iOS version).

Still looking forward to further improvements (especially UI tweaks like ticker text scrolling, etc.) on a future firmware update. I hope Hidizs wouldn't stop there.

I've only seen people posting that LDAC reception works, not aptX. That doesn't mean it isn't working, just no evidence. I don't have any aptX transmitters besides the AP80, so I can't test it, but I'm sure someone else does.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,313 of 4,614
I've only seen people posting that LDAC reception works, not aptX. That doesn't mean it isn't working, just no evidence. I don't have any aptX transmitters besides the AP80, so I can't test it, but I'm sure someone else does.

Once I get the AP80 from Kickstarter, I can test the APTx (and APTx-HD if it has that).

Here is reply I finially got from them on Christmas Day...
"For Red ap80 orders will be shipped by the end of this week. By then, we will provide you the tracking number."
Since it's Friday, I am not holding my breath for a tracking number...

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,314 of 4,614

Found a flaw in this firmware's LDAC streaming implementation. LDAC streaming is invoked regardless of whether the High Quality toggle is on or off in AP80's bluetooth settings. On my smartphone (Samsung S8), when the LDAC toggle is off on the bluetooth paired list settings, you can't play anything from your apps (podcast or Spotify), Press play and it goes back to pause. Then when I toggle LDAC on from the bluetooth paired list settings for AP80, playback proceeds without issue.

So yeah, LDAC is available buts implementation seems to have been rushed. All things considered, it's a beta. Will try to see if this is the same when paired an LDAC-capable BT headphone but with LDAC turned off on the paired bluetooth settings for that headphone.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #2,315 of 4,614
Nothing for DSD files !!! And Iso files don't work!!! :frowning2:

I thought i tried by ISO files when testing the DSD issue and they were OK, but I definitely know DSD files sound like absolute crap. They didn't on the AP200 (so not sure what they screwed up), but the 200 finally got an update to support the far superior Hiby Music 3.0...so not listening to the AP80 much of late.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2,316 of 4,614
It would be nice if Hidizs let us know what is in the new update. I haven’t tried the LDAC yet, but the Bluetooth settings haven’t been updated, and in this section it would be good if they provided choices for all the various Bluetooth settings so the user can choose which quality is being output (other players with LDAC have this) and should be provided. Also noticed that you can now choose DSD output (PCM, DoP, Native) when used as transport. Haven’t tried it yet, but it’s there. DSD on the player still has hiss and wurble problems. Hope that gets fixed, like real soon.
Is there any way to have the player play through folders? Like if you choose an artist and have it play through all of that artist’s folders in that group?

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,317 of 4,614
It would be nice if Hidizs let us know what is in the new update. I haven’t tried the LDAC yet, but the Bluetooth settings haven’t been updated, and in this section it would be good if they provided choices for all the various Bluetooth settings so the user can choose which quality is being output (other players with LDAC have this) and should be provided. Also noticed that you can now choose DSD output (PCM, DoP, Native) when used as transport. Haven’t tried it yet, but it’s there. DSD on the player still has hiss and wurble problems. Hope that gets fixed, like real soon.
Is there any way to have the player play through folders? Like if you choose an artist and have it play through all of that artist’s folders in that group?

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,318 of 4,614
The ap80 just arrived to my home in Spain. May I ask, does the box include any indication of kickstarter or personal note? It is a gift for my dad and I wouldn't like he finds something like that when opening.
Thank you.

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,321 of 4,614

Play through folder and play through album are both options within the player, as I recall (at work, so can't check it). I know play through folder works, as that's how I play my podcasts (all in one /podcast folder with subfolders for each broadcast). I assume (since the manual is pretty bare bones) that the album option is applicable when you are playing via the database vs. file browser.

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #2,322 of 4,614
Hey Folks,

I am looking for some help on how to sync playlists from Media Monkey to my AP80. Anyone able to offer some advice? I am sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching this thread for the word "playlist" and for some reason I'm not getting any results, the rest of the internet hasn't been helpful either.
My playlists are moving to the unit but when on the unit the playlists aren't showing any songs.

Help?

Cheers

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #2,323 of 4,614
Hey Folks,

I am looking for some help on how to sync playlists from Media Monkey to my AP80. Anyone able to offer some advice? I am sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching this thread for the word "playlist" and for some reason I'm not getting any results, the rest of the internet hasn't been helpful either.
My playlists are moving to the unit but when on the unit the playlists aren't showing any songs.

Help?

Cheers

Playlists work in two ways - file browser and database. If you just want to make them work without a lot of fuss and wasted time, you can drop the playlists anywhere and browse to them via the File Browser mode. If you want to make the "Playlist" menu option do something useful with your externally-created playlists, it takes some futzing. First, make a playlist on the device itself, and then save it. This will prompt for a filename and create the directory /playlist_data with the M3U file in it. Now, you can put your own M3U files in that directory (I've attached my MediaMonkey settings below), and then load them from the Playlist menu. It will take a while (my 150+ M3U files took about 3 minutes). Now you can play them from the playlist menu, and you'll know it worked if you see a number that isn't 0 below each of their names. There are two benefits to going through all that effort, and they are both cosmetic - you can see how many tracks are in each playlist before you select it, and the lock screen will show the song title rather than the song file path. Hope this helps.

MM_Locations.png
MM_Playlists.png

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #2,324 of 4,614
Playlists work in two ways - file browser and database. If you just want to make them work without a lot of fuss and wasted time, you can drop the playlists anywhere and browse to them via the File Browser mode. If you want to make the "Playlist" menu option do something useful with your externally-created playlists, it takes some futzing. First, make a playlist on the device itself, and then save it.

Thank you, added to FAQ section

Users who are viewing this thread

Back