AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #2,072 of 4,614
I almost jumped on that deal, I had an R3 before and it’s very nice, more features and more mature software- beautiful screen. And tidal and a balanced output cherry on top .

You have chosen wisely:wink: Hidizs did you a favor in a way.
I'm loving it! I use Tidal, I don't even know why I backed the AP80, given that it doesn't have WiFi.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,074 of 4,614
Search 'lied to' however and you will :wink:

Tell the backers they will get the AP80 first, before the retailers... How do you call that?

Got this mail today:

"Sorry for the late reply and late shipping, Could you please kindly wait a bit patient, we are arranging the shipping now. You will receive the order very soon."

So they still have not shipped my dap and it's mid Dec.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #2,075 of 4,614
Tell the backers they will get the AP80 first, before the retailers... How do you call that?

Got this mail today:

"Sorry for the late reply and late shipping, Could you please kindly wait a bit patient, we are arranging the shipping now. You will receive the order very soon."

So they still have not shipped my dap and it's mid Dec.

Do you mind telling me what country you're in?

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,076 of 4,614
About the SDcard format:

The firmware update requires a card formatted with a FAT32 system.

What about the format(s) for playing the music files? I might have missed it but no clear info about it.
According to users' experience: What is working? What is not working?

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #2,077 of 4,614
What about the format(s) for playing the music files? I might have missed it but no clear info about it.

My sdcard is FAT32 running FLACs without any problems.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #2,078 of 4,614
At the moment all the excitement and enthusiasm I had for this product has drained away. That's a shame.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #2,079 of 4,614
I hope they get all the shipping issues sorted out soon, so they can maybe respond to the previously promised audiobook/podcast features, and other firmware tweaks.

I've had it for over a week now, and it's been a much better experience with Bluetooth pairing and general UI navigation than the AP60II I was using. It's so close to being great, I just hope that Hidizs doesn't abandon it as it seems to have a habit of doing.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #2,080 of 4,614
I hope they get all the shipping issues sorted out soon, so they can maybe respond to the previously promised audiobook/podcast features, and other firmware tweaks.

I've had it for over a week now, and it's been a much better experience with Bluetooth pairing and general UI navigation than the AP60II I was using. It's so close to being great, I just hope that Hidizs doesn't abandon it as it seems to have a habit of doing.

And LDAC too, if I remember correctly that is supposed to land this month:wink: We shall see, I’m not holding my breath.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,082 of 4,614

Yeah, I hope so, too. The AP80 is a promising device, but as I said earlier, needed much of the firmware tweaks (like text ticker scrolling display, LDAC, album art not displaying on Hiby Link, DSD playback fixes, etc.). Have those tweaks implemented, and it's definitely one of the greatest Chi-Fi DAPs out there. Such a shame if they'll pull off another AP200 on this.

I got the R3 and paid $150 last black Friday.
Oops, I didn't noticed that I typed R6. I meant to say Hiby R3. Sorry. :joy:

Damn, that's a nice deal. If I didn't backed the AP80, then I should've bought that instead. Bought in AliExpress, right? I've noticed in your pic that you have the leather case. Was it included, or bought separately?

Also, since you own a Hiby R3, could I ask if the Hiby OS of the R3 has the ticker text scrolling thingy (you know, when the information (filename, folder name, title, etc.) is too long to display)? The Hiby OS of the AP80 doesn't do that (remaining information is just displayed as an ellipsis, and it doesn't scroll further) so I'm curious if the R3 has the same issue.

About the SDcard format:

The firmware update requires a card formatted with a FAT32 system.

My sdcard is FAT32 running FLACs without any problems.
Also using FAT32 here on a 128GB card (of course, formatted via guiformat), and I don't have issues with FLAC playback, either. Formatted it to FAT32 anyway, since I wouldn't be using any large DSD files that are 4GB and above ATM.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2,083 of 4,614
Yeah, I hope so, too. The AP80 is a promising device, but as I said earlier, needed much of the firmware tweaks (like text ticker scrolling display, LDAC, album art not displaying on Hiby Link, DSD playback fixes, etc.). Have those tweaks implemented, and it's definitely one of the greatest Chi-Fi DAPs out there. Such a shame if they'll pull off another AP200 on this.

The text scrolling issue is perplexing, as they even have one of their menu items rendered illegible by the text being too long for the screen. The option to enable or disable the playback buttons when the screen is off is cut off at the end and just says, "Buttons enabled when..." or something similar (device in car, my butt in office). I figured out what it does by trial and error, but that's a pretty massive UI/UX gaff.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #2,084 of 4,614
The text scrolling issue is perplexing, as they even have one of their menu items rendered illegible by the text being too long for the screen. The option to enable or disable the playback buttons when the screen is off is cut off at the end and just says, "Buttons enabled when..." or something similar (device in car, my butt in office). I figured out what it does by trial and error, but that's a pretty massive UI/UX gaff.
But for some reason, as I noticed just recently, the scrolling text display works as it should on the lock screen (displaying the filename in the lower bottom of the screen), and also on the antialiasing filter options in the play settings. Clearly, the Hiby OS of the AP80 is capable of displaying text in such fashion, so it's odd that the text display doesn't scroll on everywhere else in the UI. :thinking:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back