AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #3,346 of 4,614
What do you guys think will happen when AP80 Pro is released?
a) Both AP80 and AP80 Pro cost the same
b) AP80 price doesn't change, AP80 Pro costs more
c) AP80 price drops, AP80 Pro gets the previous non-pro price tag

Oct 19, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #3,347 of 4,614
The AP80 is already on sale, clearly to move stock in preparation for the arrival of the Pro. My guess is it will remain at this discounted price, while the Pro will arrive prices somewhere between the AP80’s original price and the AP200. Hidizs has said in a Facebook comment that they are shooting for a price under $199.

Oct 19, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #3,348 of 4,614

d) AP80 is discontinued and AP80 Pro becomes the new and only AP80

the pro will probably be 50$ more. the ap80 already has great sound so the pro is only for the pros

i wonder if it will use up more battery power?

Oct 19, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #3,349 of 4,614
The AP80 is already on sale, clearly to move stock in preparation for the arrival of the Pro. My guess is it will remain at this discounted price, while the Pro will arrive prices somewhere between the AP80’s original price and the AP200. Hidizs has said in a Facebook comment that they are shooting for a price under $199.

i got my ap80 for 160$ CDN from amazon canada a few weeks ago. next day it went up to 199$ CDN where it is now still at.

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #3,350 of 4,614
And it will start sales via Kickstarter. Which usually means some reduction from retail price. Unsure if the $199 is expected Retail or expected Kickstarter early-bird price.

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #3,352 of 4,614
i wonder if it will use up more battery power?

It won't use more power. Same capacity and autonomy as it's predecessor...
even hiby has been able to optimize this point ! I'm really disappointed of that 'upgrade'.
The proposed specs should have been done already on ap80.
Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #3,353 of 4,614
It won't use more power. Same capacity and autonomy as it's predecessor...
even hiby has been able to optimize this point ! I'm really disappointed of that 'upgrade'.
The proposed specs should have been done already on ap80.
Ridiculous.

what is the point of running dual dacs? one dac chip for left channel and one for right?? how much does dual dacs improve the quality overall? 10% 20? 30?...

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #3,355 of 4,614
what is the point of running dual dacs? one dac chip for left channel and one for right?? how much does dual dacs improve the quality overall? 10% 20? 30?...

Less noise, better separation/isolation of left and right channels, and true balanced architecture since they are implementing 2.5mm balanced HO.

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #3,356 of 4,614
when i had my 256GB micro sd card formatted to FAT32 it would occasionally stop responding and dissapear (on both the pc and the ap80) when accessing it via the usb cable to the pc. only rebooting the ap80 would make it appear again on the ap80 and also pc (over usb cable)

this problem seems to be fixed by switching to exFAT

ACTUALLY it just did it again with exFAT. i was trying to copy about 30GB to the sd card over the usb cable and the sd card just disapeared. and the ap80 rebooted by itself.

so far its done this with two identical sd cards:
Patriot EP Series V30 A1 MICRO SDXC Card, 256GB

firmware 2.0

the only other card i tried was a 128GB ADATA brand card and i never had the issue on that

everything else works 100% perfect, playing music off the sd cards, or transfering files when plugging the sd cards directly into the pc

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #3,357 of 4,614
when i had my 256GB micro sd card formatted to FAT32 it would occasionally stop responding and dissapear (on both the pc and the ap80) when accessing it via the usb cable to the pc. only rebooting the ap80 would make it appear again on the ap80 and also pc (over usb cable)

this problem seems to be fixed by switching to exFAT

ACTUALLY it just did it again with exFAT. i was trying to copy about 30GB to the sd card over the usb cable and the sd card just disapeared. and the ap80 rebooted by itself.

so far its done this with two identical sd cards:
Patriot EP Series V30 A1 MICRO SDXC Card, 256GB

firmware 2.0

the only other card i tried was a 128GB ADATA brand card and i never had the issue on that

everything else works 100% perfect, playing music off the sd cards, or transfering files when plugging the sd cards directly into the pc
Do you have the timer set to shut off the unit after 15 minutes or something like that?

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #3,358 of 4,614
Do you have the timer set to shut off the unit after 15 minutes or something like that?

i have idle timer set to 5 min. but that shouldnt matter.

i just connected it and let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing happened. ap80 didnt reboot or anything. i never lost access to the sd card over the usb

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #3,359 of 4,614
i have idle timer set to 5 min. but that shouldnt matter.

i just connected it and let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing happened. ap80 didnt reboot or anything. i never lost access to the sd card over the usb
Try to transfer over files in smaller blocks than 30gb. Like 2 or 3gb blocks. Sometimes if I load up too many files at one time on a player (not just the Ap80). It will get really slow....then it might stop loading and get stuck...or kick off the sad card from the computer. Doesn’t ever happen if I sideload the card from a reader plus the loading is way faster.

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #3,360 of 4,614
Try to transfer over files in smaller blocks than 30gb. Like 2 or 3gb blocks. Sometimes if I load up too many files at one time on a player (not just the Ap80). It will get really slow....then it might stop loading and get stuck...or kick off the sad card from the computer. Doesn’t ever happen if I sideload the card from a reader plus the loading is way faster.

i get a solid 30MB/s when i put the sd card in the card reader on the laptop

but only like 10MB/s or 20MB/s going through the usb cable

the card works flawlessly for everything except seems to ococasionally glitch out over the usb cable and disconnect and cause the player to also not be able to see the card, or cause the player eto automaticlaly reboot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back