AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Nov 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #3,377 of 4,614
i have official confirmation from hidizs that using a 5V 2.4A charger is safe. despite the manual saying 5V 2A is recommended.

hidizs exact words:

"After checking,it is ok to use the 5V 2.4A."

It is ok to use any charger that is reliable and reputable. I've been using quick charge chargers and they've been working fine, as long as they output 5v. Particularly, I've been using Aukey chargers, Samsung included charger, and the Zendure Superport. Haven't experienced any issues at all.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #3,378 of 4,614
It is ok to use any charger that is reliable and reputable. I've been using quick charge chargers and they've been working fine, as long as they output 5v. Particularly, I've been using Aukey chargers, Samsung included charger, and the Zendure Superport. Haven't experienced any issues at all.

well lots of chargers these days claim to be 'smart'. being able to detect what the battery needs.

but anytime you your using a charger that can put out more then the recommended amount, whether its smart or not, your taking some amount of risk

by what you said, the fact that you havnt had any issues yet has not been due to your knowledge, but your luck.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #3,379 of 4,614
well lots of chargers these days claim to be 'smart'. being able to detect what the battery needs.

but anytime you your using a charger that can put out more then the recommended amount, whether its smart or not, your taking some amount of risk

by what you said, the fact that you havnt had any issues yet has not been due to your knowledge, but your luck.

Just because charger can source extra current, doesn't mean the dap will sink it.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #3,380 of 4,614
Just because charger can source extra current, doesn't mean the dap will sink it.

but then you are taking a chance that the dap has a resistor inside it to protect it, and also that the resistor itself can handle it.

which is risky because if anything breaks inside the dap you cannot easily repair it

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #3,381 of 4,614
but then you are taking a chance that the dap has a resistor inside it to protect it, and also that the resistor itself can handle it.

which is risky because if anything breaks inside the dap you cannot easily repair it

The device will only draw what it needs to draw. There should not be any risk. Like how 120V devices draw only what it needs from the power socket.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #3,382 of 4,614
The device will only draw what it needs to draw. There should not be any risk. Like how 120V devices draw only what it needs from the power socket.

your assuming all chargers are like stores that sit their power on the shelf and wait for the device to come and take what it wants

but chargers may not be so passive. they may be more like pushy door to door salesman who force the power into the device. and then you are relying on a possible resistor to reduce it.

risky

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #3,383 of 4,614
your assuming all chargers are like stores that sit their power on the shelf and wait for the device to come and take what it wants

but chargers may not be so passive. they may be more like pushy door to door salesman who force the power into the device. and then you are relying on a possible resistor to reduce it.

risky

If you're so worried, just get a reputable charger... It's not that hard. If a charger does what you describe, it is a badly designed one. They will always be constant in the voltage, but the amps will vary depending on what the device draws. A charger shall not push amps if there's no demand. And a charger shall not push more amps than what the device pulls.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #3,384 of 4,614
If you're so worried, just get a reputable charger... It's not that hard. If a charger does what you describe, it is a badly designed one. They will always be constant in the voltage, but the amps will vary depending on what the device draws. A charger shall not push amps if there's no demand. And a charger shall not push more amps than what the device pulls.

chargers are rated for a specific volts and amps. my wall charger and my usb hub charging ports are both rated for 5v 2.4a. and they both claim to be smart. so that means they cannot push more then 5v 2.4a maximum. but the smart part may reduce that maximum if a device requires less.

since hidizs confirmed that 5v 2.4a is safe that means i am not taking any risks using either of my chargers, because that is their max. so the smart part will be useless and potentially only slow my charge down if it reduces the amps.

plugging into any charger that has a higher maximum then 5v or 2.4a will be at least some risk.

otherwise why would hidizs have given a recommneded spec for the amps? why did they say 5v2a is recommended and not simply say 5v

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #3,385 of 4,614
chargers are rated for a specific volts and amps. my wall charger and my usb hub charging ports are both rated for 5v 2.4a. and they both claim to be smart. so that means they cannot push more then 5v 2.4a maximum. but the smart part may reduce that maximum if a device requires less.

since hidizs confirmed that 5v 2.4a is safe that means i am not taking any risks using either of my chargers, because that is their max. so the smart part will be useless and potentially only slow my charge down if it reduces the amps.

plugging into any charger that has a higher maximum then 5v or 2.4a will be at least some risk.

otherwise why would hidizs have given a recommneded spec for the amps? why did they say 5v2a is recommended and not simply say 5v

They recommend 5v/2a for optimum charging, but the AP80 will actually draw about 800mA and slowly go down as the battery is charged, measured with my USB meter, so even 2.4A is too much for it, but there's no risk. There's also no risk if my charger is up to 3A, And chargers are intelligent enough to not switch to another voltage. That only happens if there's a negotiation between them.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #3,386 of 4,614
the AP80 will actually draw about 800mA and slowly go down as the battery is charged, measured with my USB meter,

ok great. good to have some actual objective evidence. 800mA is about the default for a usb 3 port i think?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #3,387 of 4,614
ok great. good to have some actual objective evidence. 800mA is about the default for a usb 3 port i think?

No. The battery is just 800mAh, so it draws 800mA.

Even a USB 2.0 port today will push more than the 500mAh it supports. If there's a data signal, it will limit to 500mAh, but if there's not, it may use way more. This is why "data blocker" adapters exist.

USB 3.0 should be 900mA, but again, you can bypass this by using a data blocker adapter.

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #3,388 of 4,614
No. The battery is just 800mAh, so it draws 800mA.

Even a USB 2.0 port today will push more than the 500mAh it supports. If there's a data signal, it will limit to 500mAh, but if there's not, it may use way more. This is why "data blocker" adapters exist.

USB 3.0 should be 900mA, but again, you can bypass this by using a data blocker adapter.

is it possible to get a data blocker adapter built inside a usb charging cable?

also is fast/super charging nothing more then a battery that will draw more amps?

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #3,389 of 4,614
is it possible to get a data blocker adapter built inside a usb charging cable?

also is fast/super charging nothing more then a battery that will draw more amps?

1. There are charge-only cables
2. They are propietary protocols. Fast charging is just a generic marketing term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back