AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 19, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #3,106 of 4,614
I doubt it would be much, although the weight difference between Ak380 and Copper is pretty significant lol

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #3,109 of 4,614
New firmware update has just released, v2.0 beta. Adds a new Bluetooth codec developed by Hiby, and apparently fixes a lot of bugs.

https://www.hidizs.net/apps/help-ce...94RleB_SZ75COOOgXA#!hc-ap80-v20-beta-firmware

I can't try it as my AP80 is still in the mail, but I'm interested to hear people's experiences.
Just updated the firmware, Dont have a good way to test the UHT Bluetooth. All functions I tried seem the same. Radio glitch fixed. Overall sound quality seems the same.

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #3,111 of 4,614
Just updated the firmware, Dont have a good way to test the UHT Bluetooth. All functions I tried seem the same. Radio glitch fixed. Overall sound quality seems the same.

Using my R3 as a Bluetooth UAT transmitter at 1.2Mbit/s and the AP80 as the UAT receiver. So far it's working good. Stable playback so far :)

On Tidal Masters tracks, I have to use 900kbps instead of 1.2Mb. 1.2Mb works fine for 44.1Khz tracks.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #3,112 of 4,614
Aug 19, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #3,113 of 4,614
Update on AP80 repair, I had lines starting at the bottom of the screen that grew longer over time. I sent it in to Hidizs sometime in July. From the time they received it, it was repaired and shipped in a couple of weeks and I received it today, and looks like they replaced the screen. Interestingly enough, the hit boxes were quite a bit off when touching the screen, but now they seem to be spot on. I received this used so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but good to know if I have a problem again I can send it in to them.

88667FF7-1516-48F2-AB5F-417E27737E61.jpeg

186104EB-1B1F-4E81-877E-4720B988E7D0.jpeg

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #3,114 of 4,614
May I assume no podcast or audiobook functionality added (as promised to us, crowdfunding folks)?

If there's one thing that the AP80 crowdfunding campaign has taught me, it's that it would be profoundly naive to believe anything the manufacturer promises will be coming later. If it's not in the shipping product, it's not going to happen, more often than not.

I really want a simple podcast function, like almost every MP3 player I've owned in the past 18 years has had. Nothing fancy, just recognition that Podcasts are not music, a resume function, and maybe a speed control.

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #3,115 of 4,614
If there's one thing that the AP80 crowdfunding campaign has taught me, it's that it would be profoundly naive to believe anything the manufacturer promises will be coming later. If it's not in the shipping product, it's not going to happen, more often than not.

I really want a simple podcast function, like almost every MP3 player I've owned in the past 18 years has had. Nothing fancy, just recognition that Podcasts are not music, a resume function, and maybe a speed control.
Totally with you, both on not believing promises in the future (especially by Hidisz) and on how ridiculous it is that modern DAPs cannot provide very basic podcast support that I had 20 years ago on my MP3 player :frowning2:

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #3,116 of 4,614
@AndySocial Thank you for backing us up! The podcast support will be available in the later software updates sir! :D

@AndySocial , It's just not "later" enough yet... And you know that "Ken" loves himself !

At least they have provided many good features with firmware updates on the AP80. The AP60 Pro, sadly had one firmware update attempt that resulted in the screen backlight staying on when in playing music and in sleep mode; Resulting in poor battery life. Ken (and Hidizs) definately does not love the AP60.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #3,117 of 4,614
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #3,118 of 4,614

I am with you on this, if it had a bookmark function and variable play speed (up to X2.5 time faster) then we are back in business. then they could just add an fm recording option and done.
it's not that hard to implement.

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #3,120 of 4,614
I think I noticed the price of the AP80 dropping by about 10 dollars.
I have a feeling that a new device will be coming soon!
Maybe we'll see the manufacturer's representative show up soon, acting like they're not really really bad at post-sales support, or like they never promised things they had no intention to deliver. But this time will be different, baby. I won't hit you again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back