AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 9, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #3,091 of 4,614
This DAP is so far ahead of my Fiio X3ii and xDuoo in sound quality it's unbelievable. The AP80 jumps through a lot of hoops and, barring a few minor quirks, is a budget champ. Have had mine since Kickstarter and it's problem free. It works fine with my over-the-ear cans as well, but really shines and does something special with earbuds. Especially the Ry4s with UE cable. Love this combo. Gonna go listen now..........

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #3,092 of 4,614
Just bought the AP80 for $101 on an Amazon lightning deal. I've been looking at getting a DAP that's flexible to be used as standalone with my collection of IEMs or to be used as transport with my iFi Nano BL if need be. I thought about the Cayin N3 for a long time but never picked it up and now it's no longer available. This will be the first DAP i've owned since owning a Zune.
How do you know when the lightning deals happen? I need it!

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #3,093 of 4,614
Also, might a future revision of this player come?
It's been a while since its release now, and it could use some minor improvements.
BT 5.0, higher battery capacity maybe, etc.
You could call it the AP81, maybe!

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #3,094 of 4,614
Hello! I've recently purchased a Hidizs AP80 and I am trying to transfer all of my playlists over to it. I originally used poweramp on my phone when playling music, which saves the playlists in a M3U8 format (which appears to be unrecognized by the ap80), so I decided to go ahead and create new playlists using windows media player on my pc.

I exported the playlists, which ended up being saved as .wpl format (also unrecognized by ap80), so I downloaded a software called WPLtoM3U converter and converted all the playlists into a .m3u format which the music player does pick up on when I attempt to import them. Now the issue is that after importing the playlists, they are all empty... 0 tracks in all of them. I am lost on how to solve this problem without having to manually create playlists on the tiny ap80 screen, which I'd rather avoid at all costs. Help much appreciated!

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #3,095 of 4,614
Hello! I've recently purchased a Hidizs AP80 and I am trying to transfer all of my playlists over to it. I originally used poweramp on my phone when playling music, which saves the playlists in a M3U8 format (which appears to be unrecognized by the ap80), so I decided to go ahead and create new playlists using windows media player on my pc.

I exported the playlists, which ended up being saved as .wpl format (also unrecognized by ap80), so I downloaded a software called WPLtoM3U converter and converted all the playlists into a .m3u format which the music player does pick up on when I attempt to import them. Now the issue is that after importing the playlists, they are all empty... 0 tracks in all of them. I am lost on how to solve this problem without having to manually create playlists on the tiny ap80 screen, which I'd rather avoid at all costs. Help much appreciated!

I use MediaMonkey, although MusicBee also works, and I assume PowerAmp would as well, once you get the settings dialed in. I have the playlist setting as M3U, and using Linux file separators (slash for Linux vs. backslash for Windows), and relative file paths. If they're saved to the playlist_data directory, you can test them before importing them into the database by navigating via the Folder view. If the playlists work via that method, then you should feel confident importing them into the database. Shown below are my settings in MediaMonkey.
MM_Playlists.png

MM_Locations.png

There are two benefits to importing them - the playlist view shows how many tracks are in each playlist, and (if you use it) the lock screen shows the song's ID3 tag information for title and artist. If you run the playlists directly from the folder view, the lock screen shows the full file path to the track, which is annoyingly long for most of my music and takes forever to scroll to the end.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #3,096 of 4,614
My AP80 suddenly stopped working as a volume control as well as its corresponding user interface to change it using touch screen is not appearing. Other functions are working volume the same control ie start up, shutdown. Not sure if this happened after accidentally upgrading the FW to same version.
The only option to change volume available to me now is to use small scrollbar which comes along with other options like BT, gain USB but that is cumbersome to use.
Anybody faced this issue and was able to fix it?

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #3,097 of 4,614
My AP80 suddenly stopped working as a volume control as well as its corresponding user interface to change it using touch screen is not appearing. Other functions are working volume the same control ie start up, shutdown. Not sure if this happened after accidentally upgrading the FW to same version.
The only option to change volume available to me now is to use small scrollbar which comes along with other options like BT, gain USB but that is cumbersome to use.
Anybody faced this issue and was able to fix it?
No, but try factory reset. That may cure it.

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #3,099 of 4,614
Already tried factory rest as well as FW update. I believe its a software issue as other functions using wheel are working.

Has anybody done FW downgrade?
You accidently locked the volume and need to unlock it. Go to "System Settings" and look for "Lock volume Knob" ; Make sure it us NOT selected !

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #3,100 of 4,614
I use MediaMonkey, although MusicBee also works, and I assume PowerAmp would as well, once you get the settings dialed in. I have the playlist setting as M3U, and using Linux file separators (slash for Linux vs. backslash for Windows), and relative file paths. If they're saved to the playlist_data directory, you can test them before importing them into the database by navigating via the Folder view. If the playlists work via that method, then you should feel confident importing them into the database.
MM_Playlists.png

MM_Locations.png

There are two benefits to importing them - the playlist view shows how many tracks are in each playlist, and (if you use it) the lock screen shows the song's ID3 tag information for title and artist. If you run the playlists directly from the folder view, the lock screen shows the full file path to the track, which is annoyingly long for most of my music and takes forever to scroll to the end.

I don't really understand what you mean when you speak about the linux file separators. Using them for what?

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #3,101 of 4,614
I don't really understand what you mean when you speak about the linux file separators. Using them for what?
As shown in the screen shots, the file separators are used within the M3U file when it lists the files. I don't know if the AP80 understands backslashes, but it definitely understands forward slashes.

Longer (possibly unnecessarily long) explanation:
When you see a file path in Windows, it will use the old DOS convention of backslashes, and will look like C:\Windows\Users\Etc
When you see a file path in Unix or Linux or MacOS, it will use the Unix convention of slashes, and will look like /home/dude/songs
The M3U file will have a list of those paths, and may look like this:
../Music/Prince/1999/03 - Delirious.mp3
../Music/Metallica/Metallica/01 - Enter Sandman.mp3​
This example is using relative paths (the two dots meaning "go up a level" before you go into the Music directory), and Linux file separators (slashes).
The same M3U file on your local hard drive may look like this:
d:\Tunes\Prince\1999\03 - Delirious.mp3
d:\Tunes\Metallica\Metallica\01 - Enter Sandman.mp3​
This is using absolute paths (starting with a drive letter) and Windows/DOS file separators (back slashes).

The relative/absolute and Windows/Linux options tend to be the two most likely culprits to M3U files not working on any particular device.

Aug 15, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #3,103 of 4,614
That's what came to my mind when I encountered this issue. I tried this as well but no success. I should have mentioned this earlier..

Sorry that did not help. But it really sounds like somehow that "feature" is now active on your AP80.

Have not tried to downgrade the Firmware. Have you tried re-updating the firmware from the System Settings? (Basically reinstalling the same firmware to hopefully over-ride the glitch...)

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #3,105 of 4,614
Just bought the copper version for HK2000/US257 and it looks gorgeous

What is the difference in weight between the original aluminum and this copper version? Anybody?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back