Anyone here only own 1 pair of headphones? How are you holding up?
May 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 117
The main problem is trying to find your truly preferred sound signature.  It's so hard to know what you ideally want in a sound signature unless you know you'e really missing something.  Once you know you found it, then you can upgrade from there. 

May 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 117
Quote:
It's interesting how most people only own one or two pairs that are around $500> each. I'm currently thinking that maybe I should just go that route. Sell everything then get a $400-500 pair headphone.

I went from D2000 as my main headphone to HE-400.  All I can say is if you THINK you're missing a lot with the D2000 then there might not be any need to upgrade for now.  If anything a D5000 would be a safe bet for sometime down the line.

With a D2000 you are missing a lot of the mids and the bass is domineering. This is fine if that sig suits your preferences but other phones will have massively different sigs

May 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 117
Sorry meant to put a don't in front of that THINK.

D2000 bass isn't so dominating and strong as it is slow decaying.  Other than that I think its bass strikes a nice balance between extension, authority and relative volume compared to the rest of its presentation.   Besides that its other major problem is a recessed upper midrange from around 2-5khz and too much upper-mid treble from around 6-8khz.  Not to mention that its lower treble has a timbre problem in that it sounds metallic.  (And EQ will not magically correct timbre and decay problems)

May 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #19 of 117
I own a few relatively cheap cans, I'm just a highschool student with a love for music. So I won't have the option of getting over $400 for a few years. My DBI pro 700 are my absolute favorite.

May 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 117
I only have two at the moment; the only two headphones I've purchased in the last decade.  I don't plan on buying anymore for the rest of my life (trying to get out of this sooner rather than later).  These phones work more than well for the music I listen to. 

May 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 117
Quote:

I went from D2000 as my main headphone to HE-400.  All I can say is if you don't THINK you're missing a lot with the D2000 then there might not be any need to upgrade for now.  If anything a D5000 would be a safe bet for sometime down the line.

plus one for me...I did the same and am loving the he400's. I find that just about everything sounds great on the HFM!!

May 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #22 of 117
Quote:
I only have two at the moment; the only two headphones I've purchased in the last decade.  I don't plan on buying anymore for the rest of my life (trying to get out of this sooner rather than later).  These phones work more than well for the music I listen to. 

Trying to "get out of this"? What do you mean?

May 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #24 of 117
Quote:
It's a hobby that may be costing him too much money. It's his decision. This can get very expensive as I'm sure you've seen.

Of course it's his decision. Im simply trying to understand if he's wanting to get rid of headphones entirely or get out of the never ending pursuit of better gear/sound.

I have an $8 pair of IEMs that I love, so you can still have enjoyable sound for very little money....so was curious as to what he was referring to specifically.

May 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #25 of 117
I was going through a busy period for a while, and the fact was that most of my listening had become on the go. I felt like I couldn't justify all my desktop gear anymore. So I went and sold my ~5-6 pairs of full-sizes, my amps and dac all in one go, and plopped down for a pair of Westone 4's (still kept my speaker rig of course). Practically, it made total sense, but the materialistic side in me says otherwise. But I've lasted this long. So this should be a testament to others, that it's entirely possible to live on one pair of headphones.

Then again, now that I have time to sit down at home and listen, I might just go for an LCD-2. And maybe I should get another pair of K702's. And a D5000. The O2+ODAC sounds enticing as well. Maybe I should get some backup IEMs as well. Those GR07's look spiffy, as well as the DBA-02 MKII's...

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #26 of 117
I have a pair of 20 dollars ecko headphone that i really dont use, a pair of fake beats solo that i really dont use, pioneer se m390 that i rarely use but my brother uses it sometimes, beyerdynamic dt990 i use it at home regularly, koss tbse1 that i just got for portable use and sony mdr z1000 for portable use but maybe ill even use it at home. i never sell any of my stuff, i just dont like selling

May 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #28 of 117
used to have a handful of headphones, sold almost all and now just have an LCD-2. i dont regret anything but i still dont have any hp for when i go out

May 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #29 of 117
I had only one pair up until recently.
I have the beyerdynamic t5p and it's great for all around use but I also got a pair of sr325i to use solely at home when I want a very different sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back