Anyone else excited about the (possible) new ipod?
Sep 6, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #46 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWolf
This is Apple we are talking about. I would not put it pas Apple to make the next verson of the iPod incompatible with Rockbox. Without Rockbox, the iPod is just junk. Sorry, but Apple's firmware for the 5g is crap. It takes Rockbox to make it sound good. And for what it's worth, would you want more storage for mediocer sound? I don't for sure. So hold on to your 5g till you know enough about the new iPods. Not everything new is better.

Honestly, why should Apple try to make their new iPod's compatible with Rockbox? Such a small percentage of iPod users even know that Rockbox exists that a business such as Apple, and yes, they are clearly a business out there to make money, would not pay any attention to the Rockbox users.

And I agree with nelamvr6, for a portable unit, I've been pleased with my 4G's sound for the most part. Sure, Rockbox does improve it, but I don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot when I boot into the Apple OS, usually for battery life issues.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say that Rockbox isn't worth it for us, cause it is, but Apple really won't care about that. And I'm interested to see what Apple has to offer for us as far as new iPods go. If anything, it might make getting a 5G cheaper, and then I could try out the hardware EQ that everyone's raving about.

Sep 6, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #47 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
Honestly, why should Apple try to make their new iPod's compatible with Rockbox?

Conversely I seriously doubt that Apple would go out of their way to make the new iPods incompatible either.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rockbox is not even on their radar at all.

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #49 of 192
Agreed. But Apple may 'add more features' and conversely the good people at Rockbox have a harder time
tongue.gif

P.S. Last time we got a boombox. Whoop. Let's not get too excited
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #51 of 192
I REALLY hope this time we get a bigger hard drive. I would jump even at 80gb, but 100 or 120 would be even sweeter. With my iTunes library at 185gb and climbing, I'd appreciate any chance to get more of it on an iPod.

But I'll be keeping my RedWineAudio iMod-ed 4G iPod regardless. Unless Vinnie decides he can mod the new ones
orphsmile.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #52 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I REALLY hope this time we get a bigger hard drive. I would jump even at 80gb

It seems like you may get your wish, if Apple is not going into production on a [true] Video iPod. Here's what I've heard so far based on what many here are stating and others:

1. Nano is upgraded to 8 or 10GB of Flash and MPEG4 (and/or H.264) Video feature is added

2. iPod is upgraded to 80GB

3. iTunes Movie Video Store is opened; Jukebox/Streaming Device is added as a home entertainment device allowing you to maintain a HDD-based Video library of movies and iPod Video is announced for future

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #53 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWolf
This is Apple we are talking about. I would not put it pas Apple to make the next verson of the iPod incompatible with Rockbox. Without Rockbox, the iPod is just junk. Sorry, but Apple's firmware for the 5g is crap. It takes Rockbox to make it sound good. And for what it's worth, would you want more storage for mediocer sound? I don't for sure. So hold on to your 5g till you know enough about the new iPods. Not everything new is better.

I didn't notice any audible difference while using rockbox with no EQ
Honestly, i never use EQ anyway, so the original firmware's back on
Rockbox on my ipod was slow and buggy

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #54 of 192
That announcement almost has to be a new Ipod. The Mac Pro,mac mini and, Imac have all been updated. The only things left are Macbook Pro and Ipod because it would be stupid to do a WHOLE meeting just for new software or OS.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #55 of 192
yeah if the hard drive space is bumped up to 100gb and vinnie says he can do the mod on it, then i am 100% going to get that new ipod, even if its 500-600 bucks...

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #56 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
i am 100% going to get that new ipod, even if its 500-600 bucks...

please, no overstatement.

ppl are complaining about the price of the upcoming PS3 and you are saying that you will buy a simple dap for $600?????????????????????where's the logic?

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #57 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj

ppl are complaining about the price of the upcoming PS3 and you are saying that you will buy a simple dap for $600?????????????????????where's the logic?

a 120gb DAP! I'd shell 600 for that in a heartbeat.

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #58 of 192
The 60 GB iPod Photo (4G) was $600 when it came out, and I bought one (actually for $570 with student discount). It did have a few more accessories with it than you get now, though.

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #59 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj

Personally I could not care less about the upcoming PS3. But I would like more capacity on my DAP.

I'm not sure I would pay $600 though. $500 would be tempting, but only for a doubling of the current max capacity to 120GB.

In any event, I will just wait a few months, the price will plummet just like always.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #60 of 192
Hope it's not a cell with radio added. No all in one bulkiness for me. I was already upset my latest newfangled cell came with mp3 playing capabilities and horrid looking video recording (ugh why bother putting that in the phone if it looks like crap!). And why listen to all those silly commercials on fm radio? I never listen to radio.

I would rather just buy Nanos from now on if iPods get bigger and more bulkier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back