Anyone else excited about the (possible) new ipod?
Sep 5, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 192
not sure if anyone has heard this, but some people seem to the new ipod will be an all-in-one - we're talking phone, wi-fi, dap of course...

http://dapmp3review.blogspot.com/
...this site has a very proffessional video (scroll down), of what a designer predicts the next ipod will look like...it truly is quite groundbreaking, even if just a conception.

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #32 of 192
I am very excited. I have been without a DAP for almost a year (since I gave my ipod to my sister) and it has been hard holding back getting a 5G, since there are so many good deals in the FS forum.

Hopefully the 60 GB is the new "base" model that will be $300. I don't really care about video, but it's a nice addition if it has a bigger screen.

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #33 of 192
tongue.gif
I definately been waiting for this since my Creative Zen Micro broke last year. The EXACT same day the 5G Video Ipod came out. But I believe the new Ipod will probably just have a better scratch resistant casing, improvement on the media player function and possibly a touchscreen since that is what people keep saying is delaying this new revision.

Sep 5, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #34 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by hulkster
not sure if anyone has heard this, but some people seem to the new ipod will be an all-in-one - we're talking phone, wi-fi, dap of course...

...this site has a very proffessional video (scroll down), of what a designer predicts the next ipod will look like...it truly is quite groundbreaking, even if just a conception.

Holy crap! i just creamed myself over that video
eek.gif

If the new ipod is anything like that.. i'll b in front of the queue

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #35 of 192
Ugh, I already have a phone that suits my needs. I don't want another one, and I seriously hope the next iPod isn't one.

One of the problems with all in one devices is that, unless one model does everything perfectly, I'm likely to wind up with several of them anyway because I want each individual feature done right, so I'll wind up with one phonemusicPDAcamera for the music, one cameraphoneinternetappliance for the phone, and one musicradioPDAphone for the PDA. It's not consolidating anything for those of us who want good quality, it's just giving us more baggage with each component.

Sep 5, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #37 of 192
Quote:

That is an amazing design...worth the play; I am not sure how many duty cycles the two hinges would support, though.

Sep 5, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #39 of 192
Quote:

I didn't find that fan render of the next Ipod anything good
rolleyes.gif
I don't want a cell phone. All it is is just a couple of hinges and I imagine who ever created that didn't give much time into practical use.

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #43 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1Turbo
One week to go:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2018

Fascinating. That video streaming device would permit most of the video library to be stored on the Jukebox, and then streamed on demand to the device. I would assume that Apple will be using the newer H.264 (MPEG4 Part 10) standard that is 40% more efficient than standard MPEG4 Movies and will download more rapidly.

This is a big step closer to having Home Theater be converged with PC-type devices, in this case a type ofdirect attached storage. I am definitely pleased as it gives video fans a far better deal than renting movies from Cable or Satellite!

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #44 of 192
This is Apple we are talking about. I would not put it pas Apple to make the next verson of the iPod incompatible with Rockbox. Without Rockbox, the iPod is just junk. Sorry, but Apple's firmware for the 5g is crap. It takes Rockbox to make it sound good. And for what it's worth, would you want more storage for mediocer sound? I don't for sure. So hold on to your 5g till you know enough about the new iPods. Not everything new is better.

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #45 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWolf
This is Apple we are talking about. I would not put it pas Apple to make the next verson of the iPod incompatible with Rockbox. Without Rockbox, the iPod is just junk. Sorry, but Apple's firmware for the 5g is crap. It takes Rockbox to make it sound good. And for what it's worth, would you want more storage for mediocer sound? I don't for sure. So hold on to your 5g till you know enough about the new iPods. Not everything new is better.

You must be specifically refering to 5G iPods. I've not heard any 5G iPods, but I can assure you that the SQ from my 4G iPod is certainly not "junk".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back