Anyone else excited about the (possible) new ipod?
Sep 3, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #16 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
I live for the day of a flash memory based large capacity iPod. I would rather they start making them smaller rather than compatible for videos. I don't care to look at videos on such a small screen.

That would be excellent. I hope they manage to streamline the production for large flash memory chips so that the prices will come down. Currently, large capacity flash memory based storage devices are far too expensive: few thousand dollars for 60gig+

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 192
Anyone hear that the new Nano will actually use an aluminum casing (ala Mini)?

That would be sweet.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
That would be excellent. I hope they manage to streamline the production for large flash memory chips so that the prices will come down. Currently, large capacity flash memory based storage devices are far too expensive: few thousand dollars for 60gig+

Considering their large Flash RAM purchases last year, it seems like you may get your wish!

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
I'm actually more excited about the new Nano which apparently will be 8gb and about the same price as the current 4 gig one. Sansa killer coming out.

Lol no way can apple do that. And why would they? Adding $50+ to the 4GB version for 8GB would be fine
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 192
Short answer: no

Sep 4, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #23 of 192
Quote:

If the 6G is offered with that new 120gb drive I am all over it.

Yep, just a few modifications (better headphone output, longer battery life etc.) and a bigger drive would be fine.

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 192
If anything iPod related (and not with their Mac computers), I'm also assuming a revision of the Nano. I'm betting that if it is as such, it'll be a bump in capacity and little more. I wouldn't bet on a new shell, as an aluminum shell would look awkward with the plastic click wheel (call me crazy, but I thought both generations of the Mini looked very ugly); though if they could pull off something like that Monolith DAP, it would be fantastic.

They probably won't add more to the iPod line in the holidays besides extra capacity and maybe a shift towards more PMP-oriented tasks. They've had a lot of success with the 5G, and I wouldn't think any appreciable increase in battery life would be in order (didn't they go down from the battery life of the 4G to the 5G 30GB?) considering they'd still want to milk the market with the assorted battery add-on packs designed for the device. Functionality will probably remain the same as its always been; they'll add little else except the things that can't be added from accessories, considering the widely expanding accessory market of the device.

Excited by the new Nano? Nah. The "new stuff" has been done before by companies like Sansa for cheaper. Excited by the iPod 6G? Maybe. I'm holding out for the iPod 7G, though.

Sep 4, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #26 of 192
I'm definately getting a new DAP this xmas - I have had my current ones about a year
tongue.gif

I'm now mighty tempted to get an iPod for the first time - mainly due to (fat) uninspiring (fat) Creative offerings and Cowon seemingly not updating the X5 - I don't care for the A2. Same applies to iRiver

Not bothered about larger capacities - although that may change when I get an external HD so I can justify switching to lossless. I'd be happy if Apple offered a better screen than 5G and other improvements. If the Nano matches the Sandisk for 8gb, or even 10gb - I'm there

Sep 4, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 192
I personally could not care less about video.

I want more capacity. If the hard drive is bigger in the 6G and everything else stays the same I'm buying one.

If SQ improves, so much the better, but I am happy with the SQ of my 4G iPod with an LOD, so SQ equal to the current models would be just fine with me.

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger
I can certainly understand why the iPod is so popular. But, there are so many alternatives that simply offer more features and better sound quality for the same, or even less money, that I can't see myself ever getting one.

Granted, there are a world of accessories available for the iPod that no other brand can compete with. But, I think I would rather have an 8 gig Sansa (with all of its features, but limited accessories) than a 4 gig Nano for the same money.

Though I can agree when it comes to the smaller capacity players, when we approach 40-60 gigs of music I want a way to navigate as painlessly as possible. I want to easily scroll through my albums and play them with as little effort as possible, because at the end of the day I got a portable MP3 player for the convenient way it lets me listen to music, not because I wanted a cool gadget. When I'm dealing with hundreds of albums, ease of use trumps features, and that's where the iPod wins.

Again, though, for smaller players it's not as much of an issue so the extra features of other models become more important.

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #29 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by sethsez
Though I can agree when it comes to the smaller capacity players, when we approach 40-60 gigs of music I want a way to navigate as painlessly as possible. I want to easily scroll through my albums and play them with as little effort as possible, because at the end of the day I got a portable MP3 player for the convenient way it lets me listen to music, not because I wanted a cool gadget. When I'm dealing with hundreds of albums, ease of use trumps features, and that's where the iPod wins.

Again, though, for smaller players it's not as much of an issue so the extra features of other models become more important.

Well put.

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 192
I own a 5G and am mildly excited about a potential 6G with more capacity, maybe even digital output and some other cool add-ons that I cannot articulate right now but would appreciate.

I am even more excited about an easy to use Windows Media file player as the sound of windows media files are more to my liking - not saying they sound better - just better to my ears. Also I do not like being tied to iTunes so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back