Anyone else excited about the (possible) new ipod?
Sep 1, 2006 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 192

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...eptember-12th/

Personally, i'll probably be buying one as soon as someone here says it sounds better
biggrin.gif

Send my 5G out for warranty since it's been bugging me with skipping, sell that and get a new ipod
eek.gif

Not if it's much bigger though
Sorry fat ipods
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 192
I can certainly understand why the iPod is so popular. But, there are so many alternatives that simply offer more features and better sound quality for the same, or even less money, that I can't see myself ever getting one.

Granted, there are a world of accessories available for the iPod that no other brand can compete with. But, I think I would rather have an 8 gig Sansa (with all of its features, but limited accessories) than a 4 gig Nano for the same money.

Also, if you buy iPod accessories that connect to its propreitary connector then you are stuck using them only with the iPod.

Having said that, I can't wait to see what they have in store
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger
I can certainly understand why the iPod is so popular. But, there are so many alternatives that simply offer more features and better sound quality for the same, or even less money, that I can't see myself ever getting one.

Granted, there are a world of accessories available for the iPod that no other brand can compete with. But, I think I would rather have an 8 gig Sansa (with all of its features, but limited accessories) than a 4 gig Nano for the same money.

Also, if you buy iPod accessories that connect to its propreitary connector then you are stuck using them only with the iPod.

biggrin.gif

Very well stated.

I wish they would change their design. It's really a turn off IMO.
For god's sake, will they ever improve their battery life?

Sep 2, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 192
i wish sandisk released an hdd verison of the sansa. flash players for me are something to bring when im doin an activity, like skating or road biking. i love mine but i need something bigger to hold flac and videos. i dont want to get a zune, but it may be my only option.

Sep 2, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 192
My gigabeat doesn't do flac, but it does do wma losstless and video is quite good too. You might want to check it out if you haven't had the chance already.

Great deal on both the 30 and 60 gig models here

Sep 2, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 192
If the new 6G ipod is that touchscreen one, I'm all for it... Unless the SQ is terrible, along with the batt life for videos.

If this doesn't turn out well, I'm going for the iRiver G10 hands down. I wouldn't mind about the cost of the G10 (considering iRiver overprices all their products at their release) if it was better than the 6G.

Sep 2, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 192
I am actually very happy. I just unloaded my 4gb Nano on ebay, JIT. I did it partially because I knew a larger capacity was coming out, but also because I use my portable for mowing lawn and exercising and stuff, at 4gb I would rather scuff up my mini than the sleek looking Nano. As soon as an 8gb or larger capacity Nano hits the market, I will buy it- scuffs be damned.

Sep 2, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 192
Quote:

My gigabeat doesn't do flac, but it does do wma losstless and video is quite good too. You might want to check it out if you haven't had the chance already.

Great deal on both the 30 and 60 gig models here

i completely forgot about the gigabeat. thats the only player i havent looked at yet. i think im too picky for my own good. but i'll definitely check it out. im gonna hold off on picking a player until the zune comes out. that way i will be able to compare and contrast.

Sep 2, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 192
The Nano is due for a freshening and will wind up with more memory. Also, a G6 will probably be coming along in time for the holidays. It's Apple's biggest seller, after all.

Sep 2, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 192
I'm actually very happy with the 5G iPod. I've just discovered RockBox (thanks to some fellow Head-Fi members!), which makes it every bit as functional as the Zen Vision:M. Ten-band equalizer, and many formats supported! It's never let me down, built well, has PLENTY of cases available for it, lots of speaker docks just for it... Apple's customer support is excellent. I think people knock the iPod too much. The battery life isn't bad... sure, it's only an advertised 14/20 hours, but unlike many of the competition it ACTUALLY HITS those numbers. Still it isn't a Sony HDD player, and I would like 25-30 hours playback.

But I'm also very excited about the new iPod... I don't need it, but if I have the cash when it arrives I'm pretty sure I won't be able to resist.

Anyone want to buy a pair of brand new Shure E500's? Not kidding...

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 192
Quote:

biggrin.gif

It's kind of a turn off how now EVERYONE has one, but..
For me it's a case of laziness (i ripped all my music in AAC)
and i think the interface is better than any other players i've tried
I don't mind the 14hrs battery life, i don't listen to music that long portably in one day anyway
But yeah, if there's something that has a better interface and sound quality, or even matches the ipod, i'd move straight away
Being in the ipod bandwagon isnt cool anymore
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #13 of 192
I'll buy one the day it's announced if it has a bigger hard drive. My 4G is closing in on 2 years now, and I'm still waiting for a larger drive. Adding new music means deleting other stuff first.

I just hope they don't go bigger to appease the video crowd. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the interface too, with all the talk about "no-touch," etc.

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 192
Yes!

I'd buy it in a flash if they-
increase capacity (80/100gig)
keep the size the same (or even slim it down even further)
support FM radio
remove restrictions on video resolution

It would be great if they (probably impractical)-
increase screen size
add wifi/bluetooth capability (for wireless sync, broadcast)
increase battery life (probably not possible)
add touchscreen
support more audio/video formats (ie support other lossless formats)

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 192
I'm actually more excited about the new Nano which apparently will be 8gb and about the same price as the current 4 gig one. Sansa killer coming out.

I live for the day of a flash memory based large capacity iPod. I would rather they start making them smaller rather than compatible for videos. I don't care to look at videos on such a small screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back