Any real alternative to D2000 (DT880 pro?)
May 16, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
Yea they seem well built but that screw holding on to that giant cup...i dont know man.
Im really torn apart between the d2000 and dt990pro now...so hard to decide
blink.gif

Based on what I've read about the DT990 and the measurements I've seen, I'd definitely go for the D2000. 

Seriously, the overall build quality on the D2000s is quite good. Treat them well, though. They're not meant to be thrown around or anything. The screws holding on to the cups haven't given me any issues, and I have thrown mine around quite a bit.

May 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #17 of 31
Wow those Kenwoods look really nice, problem is i need to pay 32% TAX and deal with customs in my country if i buy anything above 315$(incl. shipping) so that's why i'm not buying from AC or bhphotovideo...would've bought PRo900 from bhphotovideo last week at 329$ if this stupid law did not exist.
mad.gif

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this, i'll check the hfi-2400.

Quote:
Kenwood KH-K1000; not just an alternative, a superior 'phone (imho). More balanced, more comfortable, better build, and so on. No rattling screws either. AC sells them, and should ship to Israel.
That having been said, the D2000 isn't as fragile as people make them out to be; the only ones I've seen fully come apart are the result of shipping damage or outright abuse. You list "40 or so cases" - out of how many tens of thousands of units shipped over the last few years? I'd take the Kenwood over them for a variety of reasons, but I wouldn't write the D2000 off entirely; if it's what you like, get it. AC sells that too, so that's better than fleabay (you'll get the real deal and have some degree of recourse if they're damaged (http://www.audiocubes.com/faq.php)).
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=2071
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=2417
And lest you think I'm a salesbot - I'm not. I've been happy with the few purchases I've made through AC, and they're the only source of the K1000 outside of Japan that I'm aware of, and they happen to ship internationally. They also sell the Denon and will apply their warranty terms to it, so if it does break, you have that (as opposed to eBay where you basically take what you get).
Another alternative, and probably a cheaper one, would be the Ultrasone HFI-2400. It has more bass than the Kenwoods (and virtue of that, I would believe the Denons (I have not compared the Ultrasone against the Denon, only the Kenwood)). The mids aren't quite as spot-on, but they're very good. Very comfortable, built like a tank, etc. The only potential qualm with the Ultrasone (and this is any Ultrasone) is that not everyone experiences S-LOGIC the same way. See here for more:
http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/hfi-2400.html (and they do list a distributor in Israel: http://www.sontronics.co.il/ (I don't read Hebrew so I can't help much beyond what the Ultrasone site says)).
I'd list none of the above as fatiguing. I like the Ultrasones least of the bunch (too much bass for me; I am an anti-basshead though).
Regarding the Beyers - I've honestly never heard the 880/990; the T70 was harsh and etched though. CSDs show the T70 having a nasty ridge while the 990 seem free of it; I'm guessing they're not as bad as a result. The D2000s at $350 are not a bad price - the Kenwoods are slightly better but more expensive, the HFI-2400s are competitive but not as well rounded, albeit slightly cheaper (list is $329 US, they're usually around $229 though). I think compared to something like the T70, they're much better suited for more or less anything. Along with the Kenwoods, the Denon headphones really hit "all-rounder" out of the park. I think the HFI-2400 is the next closest tier, it's just the extra bass (but for the genres you listed it might be perfect; I liked them very much with rock and trance).

May 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #18 of 31
Holy whatnow - 32%?!?

Also - on the reliability of the D2000s: I had mine for two years with absolutely no issues, and as far as I know they're still in service with whoever bought them. I bought them very soon after they came out, and from what Tyll has said Denon went back and made improvements on the design recently. I've seen the "the cup snapped off" threads too, and I just have to wonder what kind of abuse the headphones had to endure (and usually it's thanks to United Parcel Smashers).

Give'em a shot - they're very good and very moddable if you want to tweak the sound a bit (I liked the "open mod" the most).

May 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
Thought i should update, i caved and got the D2000 from Ebay
tongue_smile.gif
 320$ after tax.

I'm glad you went with the D2000s, but why did you get them from eBay when they're $200 open box at Electronics Expo? Their open box products are in brand new condition and come with full manufacturer warranties...

Either way, what do you think of them?

May 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

I'm glad you went with the D2000s, but why did you get them from eBay when they're $200 open box at Electronics Expo? Their open box products are in brand new condition and come with full manufacturer warranties...

Either way, what do you think of them?

Out of stock on EE and also "Currently we only ship within the United States. We do NOT ship internationally." Given that OP is from Israel he can't really order from EE.

May 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #24 of 31
May 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:
Gah, didnt get them yet, this is the line im seeing infront of me all week long: Status of your item:Dispatched to sort facility.
blink.gif

DHL? there site showed that for 2 weeks after I received mine

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #27 of 31
I own the D2000s, the 880s, and the DT770s, and right now I'd say I prefer the 770s overall. More comfortable than the denons because they weigh a lot less and much better bass than the 880s, which if you are anything close to a basshead, have very little bass at all (unless you mod them).

Only disadvantage from the 770s is that they benefit the most from amping, but I'd say they still sound good un-amped.

I should add that my main use is for gaming, if you are talking music, then the D2000s have a slight advantage over the 770s and I'd say are much better than the 880s.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:
I own the D2000s, the 880s, and the DT770s, and right now I'd say I prefer the 770s overall. More comfortable than the denons because they weigh a lot less and much better bass than the 880s, which if you are anything close to a basshead, have very little bass at all (unless you mod them).

Only disadvantage from the 770s is that they benefit the most from amping, but I'd say they still sound good un-amped.

I should add that my main use is for gaming, if you are talking music, then the D2000s have a slight advantage over the 770s and I'd say are much better than the 880s.

Really? D2000 better then DT880 for gaming? thats news

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:
Really? D2000 better then DT880 for gaming? thats news

I suppose it depends on what you want. Some people value positional cues and clarity above, say, immersion and bass. I want all of them, and the DT880 has no bass (or I should say, very LITTLE bass) compared to the D2000, at least with my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back