Any over-ear closed headphone with great metal/rock signature????
Sep 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kennethac

New Head-Fier
Hi! I've been reading A LOT about hi-end headphones and planning to invest in my first real phones. 

By the moment i've got a crush on Grados even not having listened to them ever but i think already have an idea what they sound like. Their stage (if i understood what's that, haha), their natural sound emphasized on mids... The thing is that they doesn't fit at all to my needs: commuting, studying at quiet places, using them at my home that is kind of noisy even with room's door closed. Basically i realized i can't use open phones at most of the places i'd like to use them. 

Maybe is good to mention my music tastes so you can give me a good opinion: mostly metal and rock, a lot of jazz-fusion, some bossa nova, and lately psytrance but i'm not looking for ultra-bassy phones. Actually from all the stuff i've read i think what I want are natural-sounding headphones. Not harsh nor bassy. 

So, between all the options i've read about, taking away the Grados because of their openness, the two options that I THINK fit me better are maybe AudioTechnica ATH-M50 and Sony MDR-V6. Both of them as far as i know are really praised around this neighborhood but also receive some critics that make me get confused and keep reading review after review and spinning like in a circle, always thinking about if there's a closed option that archieves what Grados do, and their famous "rock & metal" signature. But closed. From M50's i read their sound is like "U shaped" meaning that they are both bassy and harsh, and weak at mids (the emphasis of rock music) so i'm not convinced about them even knowing the're famous around here. And from V6's also read they are very very harsh, and focused on pro usage. Also that they reveal from music more than i should want them to. I'll use them exclusively for music listening. Not even reviewing, only pleasure listening.

I'm from outside the States, specifically from Costa Rica so i'm forced to buy them on Amazon having no idea of how any of them really sound, and buying and shipping them this way is practically impossible to return them if i regret. The closest thing i have to get an idea is the famous "Build a Headphone Graph", so my reference point has always been the Grado SR60/SR80. And Costa Rica doesn't really have a good stock of headphones, beyond the ones you can find on Walmart or the cheap Sony's at CD's stores, for example. 

The finest headphone i've used are Senn's PMX 200's bought at Office Depot, and i remember they were really really bass-shy but i ended getting use to them until they broke. Take that as a reference.

So, guys, please tell me. Do you think is there a closed headphone as good as possible for rock/metal music in the range of $150 ???? Actually i'm stretching my original $100 butget but i want more options. 

I've always hated the sound of cheap closed headphones, they sound like listening to music through a pillow, and if i buy anything that sounds like that i'll throw them through the window :)

Thanks and Pura Vida!!! Sorry for my not-good-enough english

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 20
No te preocupes...te entendemos bien! 

I probably wouldn't focus on finding a headphone that sounds like a Grado...Grados are a pretty unique animal and nothing else really sounds similar. I would just go into more detail about what type of sound you prefer. So far you've said you don't like harsh or bassy, so to me that would mean you don't like headphones that are overly bright or have a boomy low end. Something that is a more neutral sound signature is likely what you're after, with an emphasis on strong, non-recessed mids. Since you say you don't really prefer the sound of less expensive closed headphones, have you maybe considered IEMs instead? There are a lot of great options for IEMs in your price range and they would meet your portable needs. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 20
I don't really like IEM's. They turn really uncomfortable after an hour or two. That's why i'm looking for over-ear ones. My Galaxy S had as stock headphones some IEM's. THey also broke down like a week ago, but never loved them so i'm weirdly happy.

Also doesn't matter if they're huge. That's not a problem.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 20
MDR-V6 or HD25-1 II. Most rock and metal aren't recorded with a huge soundstage anyway, but tonal qualities can be reproduced by well-designed closed cans, so even Dream Theater, Kamelot, Nightwish and Epica, etc won't seem lacking.

Oh,the MDR-series is a fairly popular monitor, so chances are what you're listening to was used at some point of the recording.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
Yeah at some point i almost bought the mdr-v6 until i read they were too harsh. What can you tell me about that?

Might be due to the source. Bands can monitor with it at some point (ie, each individual member as their track gets recorded) but they have powerful consoles and reasonably flat-response sources to listen from, not to mention the mixing and mastering will be on the speakers anyway. I've listened to these with upgraded OCC cables - used an iPod 5g with a PB-1 and CMOY - and I didn't find them harsh.

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Well my source will be a Galaxy S Wifi 4 with the Poweramp player app. Any other opinion about good closed phones for rock & metal under $150???

Seriously consider a different source. Phones are never a good choice.

Grado's phones are all great for rock but they're open. My K240 Studios are good at mostly anything, and they're over-ear. They are semi-open but I have found that they isolate just fine for me.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 20
I actually have the M50 and it was also my first phone that I got for christmas. I listen to a lot of metal, trance type stuff also. As your first phones, I promise you will love them. If you really want to come into the audiohphilia world, you'll eventually realised that the mids are slightly recessed and it will make you want more. All in all making you buy perhaps, an amp, better source, or better headphones.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

There was just recently a thread with exactly the same question, maybe you can find advices there too =  http://www.head-fi.org/t/642752/suggestions-for-closed-headphones-for-rock-metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back