Any comfy, long lasting closed headphones for gaming recommendations?
Nov 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Xdflames

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I ended up here on my search for a couple headphones that meet my requirements, and I would be grateful to any help you guys could give me.

The things I want are:
-Comfort (a must, for gaming sessions from 2 hours to 6 hours at a time)
-Long lasting (I don't want to have to buy a pair of headphones for another year at least)
-Good sound quality (I'm not really intense into music, but I do like to have an enjoyable listening experience.. I also do not know anything about sound to be honest, so I'm really nooby about anything sound related, especially any terms you might use)

My past experiences have always been headsets, and I'm looking into just buying a standalone mic to get a better quality pair of headphones, which I feel is definitely worth it. I've been using Razer Carcharias for about two years now, and they've been pretty good to me for the most part, but a couple days ago the cord got tangled up in my chair and when I needed to get up really fast, I hit my chair and it pulled the cord very tightly (not the first time it has happened) and it ended up making it so the left side of my headphones stopped working, which as you can imagine is pretty frustrating. Before that, I just went out to Wal-Mart and got a $15 headset every 6 months.

Some of the headphones I have been looking at are the Audio Technica ATH-M50, and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. Could you guys give me any other recommendations or opinions on these two? I am willing to pay up to $300 to get a pair of long lasting, quality headphones.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 17
If you want closed yes get the DT770. 250 ohm

If sound isolation is not an issue. DT880 250 ohm

Get a fiio E10 amp to drive them for 50 bucks.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 17
i love my Sennheiser HD280 Pro's - stick a cheapo mic to the side and you're winning. 
Bear in mind Arai Helmets say I have a very small head so mileage may vary...

I used them religiously since I plugged them into my amp and fired up GT5 on the PS3... since then I've not played anything without plugging them in... (until my 558's) 
Totally upped my CS:S game, L4D2 and they rock for Borderlands 2...

+ they're robust as hell, literally could chuck them in my bag and climb a mountain with them with confidence they'll be fine the other end. 

Chap I know uses some Sony MDR-V6's for his Battlefield 3 affair - they do sound rather good, easily on par with the sennheisers and probably cheaper, less clampy too!  

both a lot cheaper than $300 if that helps? 

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 17
Well, like I've said.. I have no idea what the advantages of using an amp is as I have no idea about sound period. Could someone offer an explanation for me to understand?
Is all they do is bump up the sound quality and volume?

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Well, like I've said.. I have no idea what the advantages of using an amp is as I have no idea about sound period. Could someone offer an explanation for me to understand?

depends on your source, I have a super-budget sony mp3 player which is only good for 16ohm headphones, my hd280's and 558's are really, really quiet up to the point if it being at full volume but with not a lot of sound coming out of the headphones. 
the amp takes that 16ohm input and ups it to what the headphones need. 

If your onboard sound is only rated for 32ohms but your headphones have an impedence of a lot more, you're not getting maximum power. 

Kinda like if you go out and buy a shiny new graphics card which uses 300w, your measly 250w PSU aint gonna be driving that card properly. It'll work, but in limp mode. your headphone limp mode depends on your source and headphones. the bigger the disparity, the quieter and lighter it'll be. 

probably a crap description but I hope it helps! (

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
+1 on the DT770!

actually, an E7 being a DAC means any integrated audio would be consigned to the bin, pretty good sound and should drive the DT770's! 

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 17
Oh okay, I see. An amp is literally amplifying the power that it gets so that it can work at full performance..

So what would be the difference of the DT770 Pro 80 ohms and the DT770 250 ohms? Quality?

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 17

First I agree with you on the beyers because:

1. Built like a tank.
2. They have soft velour ear pads that don't promote sweaty hot ears for long use.
3. For gaming they will give you more of a feel of space also referred to as the soundstage. How you can imagine the space in your head from the sound.

In terms of an amp, different headphones have a certain amount of resistance to electrical current. Headphones with more resistance require more power to run them properly to get full sound. There are more factors involved but that is the basic explanation.

Beyers are fairly easy to run overall but they do require amping to get the best out of them. The Fiio E10 is a great entry level tiny amp that you can plug directly into your PC's USB and it acts like an external sound card if you will.

It also has a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) chip inside of it. This is the chip that takes all of the raw data and converts it to actual sound. Your computer already has such a chip on the motherboard more than likely but using a dedicated unit like the E10, you will bypass that inferior circuit and guarantee yourself a quality source to plug your headphones into.

Some headphones don't have much resistance at all and don't really "need" an amp (like the M50 you mentioned as an example). But many prefer to use an external DAC/AMP anyway which they prefer or believe to have superior sound in some way.

To make things simply for you, I have recommended the e10 because it can drive the Beyers beautifully and it is inexpensive. It is a good place to start for sure.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
i love my Sennheiser HD280 Pro's - stick a cheapo mic to the side and you're winning. 
Bear in mind Arai Helmets say I have a very small head so mileage may vary...

I used them religiously since I plugged them into my amp and fired up GT5 on the PS3... since then I've not played anything without plugging them in... (until my 558's) 
Totally upped my CS:S game, L4D2 and they rock for Borderlands 2...

+ they're robust as hell, literally could chuck them in my bag and climb a mountain with them with confidence they'll be fine the other end. 

Chap I know uses some Sony MDR-V6's for his Battlefield 3 affair - they do sound rather good, easily on par with the sennheisers and probably cheaper, less clampy too!  

both a lot cheaper than $300 if that helps? 

Well, I've read in a couple places that the HD280's are very small. So I'm not really sure on how well that would work out for me.

Quote:
If you want closed yes get the DT770. 250 ohm
If sound isolation is not an issue. DT880 250 ohm
Get a fiio E10 amp to drive them for 50 bucks.

Quote:
+1 on the DT770!

Quote:
First I agree with you on the beyers because:
1. Built like a tank.
2. They have soft velour ear pads that don't promote sweaty hot ears for long use.
3. For gaming they will give you more of a feel of space also referred to as the soundstage. How you can imagine the space in your head from the sound.
In terms of an amp, different headphones have a certain amount of resistance to electrical current. Headphones with more resistance require more power to run them properly to get full sound. There are more factors involved but that is the basic explanation.
Beyers are fairly easy to run overall but they do require amping to get the best out of them. The Fiio E10 is a great entry level tiny amp that you can plug directly into your PC's USB and it acts like an external sound card if you will.
It also has a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) chip inside of it. This is the chip that takes all of the raw data and converts it to actual sound. Your computer already has such a chip on the motherboard more than likely but using a dedicated unit like the E10, you will bypass that inferior circuit and guarantee yourself a quality source to plug your headphones into.
Some headphones don't have much resistance at all and don't really "need" an amp (like the M50 you mentioned as an example). But many prefer to use an external DAC/AMP anyway which they prefer or believe to have superior sound in some way.
To make things simply for you, I have recommended the e10 because it can drive the Beyers beautifully and it is inexpensive. It is a good place to start for sure.

Thank you guys very much. So far it seems like I will be getting the DT770's. However, what would be the difference between an 80ohms and 250ohms pair of headphones? Simply the quality?
I will also be getting the Fiio E10, since it definitely sounds like I want to use one, plus I will never say no to a new piece of tech.

Edit: To clarify, I do know that ohms is resistance, but would there really be that much more of a difference in sound quality, and would the jump from 80 to 250 cause any problems with anything?

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 17
Thank you guys very much. So far it seems like I will be getting the DT770's. However, what would be the difference between an 80ohms and 250ohms pair of headphones? Simply the quality?
I will also be getting the Fiio E10, since it definitely sounds like I want to use one, plus I will never say no to a new piece of tech.

Edit: To clarify, I do know that ohms is resistance, but would there really be that much more of a difference in sound quality, and would the jump from 80 to 250 cause any problems with anything?

Either or will work find with your new amp. The differences in sound are marginal at best.

You will enjoy your new set up over your previous one either way.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Either or will work find with your new amp. The differences in sound are marginal at best.
You will enjoy your new set up over your previous one either way.

Okay, it's good to know that there is isn't a huge difference. I will probably just get which ever one I see first. Thanks for your help, it's been great, along with everyone else here.

If no one else has anything to add, I will probably be getting the DT770's.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 17
let me just add the Soundmagic HP100, i think the DT770 is great, but the HP100 is better, the mids are not as recessed, they dont need an amp, but do sound better with one, comfort is equal and the HP100 have a detachable cable and carry case,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back