Any audiophiles that listen to dubstep?
Aug 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #31 of 92
Well I heard that the  Fiio E9+E7 was a good combo, and amp. Do you think that think will give my M50s a bass boost?

The next set of headphones I am thinking about are the

- DT990s ( I just want to hear some opinions on them)

- Ultrasound pros( Are they on ear or over ear? cannot tell by picture.)

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #32 of 92
Just had to barge in on this topic! Been a lurker for may a year and have done my own research/collection/spending...........
wink_face.gif
courtesy
of all those great reviews by all those other wonderful users, Skylab et all (p.s. my bank manager wants a word!!!).

i have lived in Bristol for many years and was deep in the DnB scene followed by breakbeat, dubstep, future garage and now the current crop of MISCELLANEOUS BASS MUSIC and love anything from Inner City to Squarepusher via Rhythm and Sound, King Tubby, Rob Smith, Appleblim, James Blake, Joy Orbison you name it. 

I have found and it seems that the general consensus for serious bass music is that the Dennon D5k/7k series smash all others. In fact the conclusion everyone reaches is that the D5K's have too much bass hence all the modifications that have been tried/tested up Lawton et all..............(depending on what you listen to
bigsmile_face.gif
) but I like mine just as they are.

I run my 5k's on an Earmax se valve amp which supposedly has a flat frequency response down to 1hz according to the literature anyway. The denons are probably not the ideal match for the amp being 25ohm but they still manage to develop serious sound pressure which is enough to make listening sessions time dependent before hearing damage occurs!!!

With things like Rhythm and Sounds - No Partial, and Luke Viberts - Die and live wrecked, the bass is literally AWESOME i.e it brings you to AWE........ before removing them quickly to avoid hearing damage.

When driven on my black cube linear everything gets reigned back a little and makes a fantastic pairing but i love my glowing glass thingies.

The top end is a little muted compared to my AT W1000X but the bottom end of the AT's is not anywhere near as good so its horses for courses.

Dubstep music and similar regularly goes down below 30Hz but most headphones will only give you an impression of it.  my HD650's (currently on the head)
are a perfect example of this but sound like stunningly cut crystal for the majority of all music.

In conclusion: 1) Dont spend too much! try before you buy! Every "phone" is different.
                       2)Bass is not always the only thing! A well rounded sound will be better in the long run.
                       3) XB series are not HeadFi

p.s I have a 1kW class D monoblock on a 12" driver for my car and some Monitor Audio RS8's for bass comparison.

p.p.s I just listened to "Skrillex" on my earmax.... I am deeply deeply sorry Mr Brocksieper for assaulting your carefully engineered audio circuits with such tomfoolery. Gives the current bad name of dubstep an even worse one! Just like what pendulum did to DnB.

p.p.p.s Sorry for the brain vomit!

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #33 of 92
I use the Sony MDR-XB1000 and the FiiO E7/E9 combo.

They will definitely rock your knot.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #36 of 92

Quote:

I agree.

But it doesn't give you that chest-punching feeling. Listening to dubstep on full-sized speakers is way better than on headphones.

What concerns me is that the surround sound option on my laptop increase the bass limit to about 43Hz.
With surround sound, I can go as low as 18-20Hz, below that all there is is a soft hum, which I suspect is 
noise in the recording. 

no way man i love my bassy headphones and i don't think i'll ever buy speakers. I have been listening to dubstep for more than 2 years, with no end in sight.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #38 of 92

Quote:
But it doesn't give you that chest-punching feeling. Listening to dubstep on full-sized speakers is way better than on headphones.

The way I see it, subwoofers physically move large amounts of air. This is what allows you to feel the subbass in your chest cavity and all over your body. It also gives the subbass more weight without muddying up the middbass and midrange frequencies. 

When you listen to dubstep on headphones you have to increase the amplitude of the subbass frequencies in order to try and sound like subwoofers. When you do this though you end up muddying the middbass and midrange region, which then forces you to increase the highs to compensate. This is why all bassy headphone have the V-curve sound signature. If you listen to the LCD-2s with a flat bass EQ, the subbass doesn't carry as much impact as the Pro 900 for example, but its much more clear.

So from a pure audiophile perspective, any time you listen to music with emphasis on subbass frequencies, subwoofers will ALWAYS be more acoustically accurate. Headphones are always going to be an imitation of that, not the real deal.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #40 of 92

Quote:
If you could run the LCD-2s through a good amp while sitting on a subwoofer, that would probably be about the best listening setup you could get for dubstep imo.

A headphone for the intimate details with a sub linked to the same signal. Always been my dream setup.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #41 of 92
IMO, best bass heavy headphones are DJ'ing headphones. They're all focused around punchy bass as it makes beat matching a whole lot easier when you mix.

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #44 of 92
Those look great! How do they work un amped? Also how is the sub bass on them?

They are low impedance cans so they will work nicely without a amp but I always run amped, I use my XB's for detroit techno and old school funk and they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back