Announcing the Launch of the SUSVARA
Jun 30, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #151 of 183
Waiting the next time showing in Japan.........:neutral_face:

HiFiMan has an office in Tokyo where you might be able to have a listen. Or you could come down to Fukuoka and have a listen if you like. :)

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #152 of 183
No help for me, but i can wait, no rush, got to check lcd4 as a comparison of preference. I think its early days still

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #153 of 183
They definitely don't feel heavy.

It's interesting finding out what amps can handle them. I maxxed out an Audio-gd NFB-1AMP with some tracks. It didn't clip though and behaved perfectly.

My Studio Six technically doesn't have enough grunt and I can max out the volume, so I've been using them with the Audiovalve Solaris mostly. They are sufficiently lively-sounding that where the NFB-1AMP was a bit boring with the HE1000 V2, it seems like a nice match with the Susvaras. A Master 9 would likely be better still. I don't think that they are the most nuanced, but they make music, even stuff that isn't that dramatic, sound exciting.

Wow! The He-6 does not require the NFB1-Amp to max out in order to sound loud. On my NFB1-Amp (hooked to the Reference 5.32 DAC), the highest I can get is 40 (out of 100) on the volume dial in high gain mode, at which point things get to be unbearably loud for me. If the Susvara requires the NFB1-Amp to max out on the volume, then that seems to suggest that it is much harder to drive than the He-6, unless there is something I am not understanding.. Are the Susvaras that much harder to drive than the He-6s? Is there something in the specs that justifies this discrepancy?

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #154 of 183
It isn't hard to drive I did he6 he1 susvara side by side by barely refrence amps putting out less than 1.5 watt at a meet. Sure I had the volume over half, and on this system at the Toronto meet, each sounded fine. I know they could sound much better but. 6 was the bass, 1 was balance granted a v1 version, susvara was the better,prototype, enough that I want to hear it again....

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #155 of 183
Wow! The He-6 does not require the NFB1-Amp to max out in order to sound loud. On my NFB1-Amp (hooked to the Reference 5.32 DAC), the highest I can get is 40 (out of 100) on the volume dial in high gain mode, at which point things get to be unbearably loud for me. If the Susvara requires the NFB1-Amp to max out on the volume, then that seems to suggest that it is much harder to drive than the He-6, unless there is something I am not understanding.. Are the Susvaras that much harder to drive than the He-6s? Is there something in the specs that justifies this discrepancy?

Some the tracks I listen to are significantly quieter than most recordings.

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #157 of 183
Thank you buddy, i gonna contact HiFiMAN:beyersmile:
I'm going on Wednesday after work. PM me. Bringing my WA7 to see if I can help answer the WA7/Susvara question.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #159 of 183
Some the tracks I listen to are significantly quieter than most recordings.
Gotcha! Now the quieter-than-normal tracks open an entirely different can of worms, true. The question remains as to whether the NFB1-Amp can drive the Susvaras under normal circumstances, in the same way as it drives the He-6.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #160 of 183
So I'm at the Hifiman Japan office at the moment with my iPad Pro - WA8 in "3 tube mode" - Susvara and as per what @Currawong has said, I'm pushing the WA8 at max volume. They are track dependent as some are mastered at higher levels than others but overall, I think the Susvara would benefit from a beefier amp than the WA8.

P.S. Comparing the Susvara side by side the Shangri-La is fun, as good as the Susvara may be, the electrostats are simply bliss.

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #161 of 183
So I'm at the Hifiman Japan office at the moment with my iPad Pro - WA8 in "3 tube mode" - Susvara and as per what @Currawong has said, I'm pushing the WA8 at max volume. They are track dependent as some are mastered at higher levels than others but overall, I think the Susvara would benefit from a beefier amp than the WA8.

P.S. Comparing the Susvara side by side the Shangri-La is fun, as good as the Susvara may be, the electrostats are simply bliss.

Not surprised as the WA8 isn't a particularly powerful amp (max 350mW@45 Ohm). Did you have the chance to try the Susvara from another amp?

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #162 of 183
Not surprised as the WA8 isn't a particularly powerful amp (max 350mW@45 Ohm). Did you have the chance to try the Susvara from another amp?
Not this time. This trip was really to answer someone's question if the WA8 could power the Susvara. I went there after work and stayed for about 1.5 hrs (was also listening to their Shangri-La, HE1Kv1 and HE1Kv2. I did try the Susvara with my DX200.

Edit: DOH! The person was asking about the WA7! Oh well, I got a private listening session out of the Susvara anyway :wink:.

IMG_2708.jpg
IMG_2709.jpg
IMG_2711.jpg
IMG_2707.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #163 of 183
Edit: DOH! The person was asking about the WA7! Oh well, I got a private listening session out of the Susvara anyway

So what you think about the Susvara?

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #164 of 183
Not this time. This trip was really to answer someone's question if the WA8 could power the Susvara. I went there after work and stayed for about 1.5 hrs (was also listening to their Shangri-La, HE1Kv1 and HE1Kv2. I did try the Susvara with my DX200.

Edit: DOH! The person was asking about the WA7! Oh well, I got a private listening session out of the Susvara anyway :wink:.

So what you think about the Susvara so far?

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #165 of 183
So how do I win one of these bad boys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back