Announcing the Launch of the SUSVARA
Jun 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #121 of 183
In Munich's HighEnd show, in a quit private room, we had a chance to hear the susvara, and compare it to a HE1000 V2, and.... we could not convince us that the susvara was better than the HE1000 V2.

So, considering that the susvara cost +50% than the HE1000 and also is more demanding on the Amplification, I do not see the interest for the susvara since the HE1000 V2 is already excellent !

--> Has someone else been able to compare the susvara and the HE1000 ? I will be very interested to hear other opinions regarding those 2 headphone comparaison....

NOTE re the low efficiency of the susvara: The new A&K SP1000 can drive very well the HE1000. I am not sure it will be the same with the susvara. --> Has anyone tested susvara with SP1000 or AK380+AKAMP ?

Not trying to pile on at all but I have to share that at the recent Los Angeles CanJam I had a chance to listen to Susvara briefly before the amp broke down and I share this sentiment. In fairness it was a TERRIBLE listening environment for critical listening of open cans and trying to decipher the more than likely subtle (but all important of course) differences between these two totl cans. After about 5 minutes I walked away thinking wow those sounded great, but are they better than the HE1000 v2 that I listened to right before and afterwards? They seemed to have a bit more control and resolution but the fact that I wasn't sure didn't bode well for them on this occasion. With that said, I really look forward to a proper audition someday.

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #122 of 183
Where I noticed the difference was on jazz recordings with vocals, the instruments came alive as the vocals pushed forward. This was very noticeable to me right away, like 15 seconds. Makes me think the set up is different and also it was v1 of he 1. Maybe v2 is that much better?

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #123 of 183
Well probably not the best amp for a comparison but I used the Oppo HA-1 as it's what was on hand (using the balanced output).

Susvara vs HE-6 (6-screw version) but this is very brief, from about 30-40 mins a/b'ing the headphones, all with CD quality music streamed over Qobuz.

They are more similar than different, so if you like the HE-6 you will like the Susvara I think, the main differences being that the Susvara sounds more open and expansive in it's soundstage, the HE-6 is more intimate. The Susvara also sounds a little fuller overall but without any excess bloat, both have excellent pace and timing, the Susvara just sounds more effortless in it's presentation. Vocals have a tad more substance to them, more presence and body, and they both fair very will in the treble range with excellent extension and clarity.

The comfort is night and day difference, the Susvara is superbly comfortable, wheras the HE-6 is heavier and gets uncomfortable after a short period of time.

IMG_20170620_130244.jpg

IMG_20170620_130346.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #126 of 183
I wanna see some Focal Utopia and SR-009 comparisons with the Susvara!

I'll try and get a pair of Utopia to test side by side at some point, no Stax where I live though.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #129 of 183
Likewise. It has been interesting to find out what amps really can output the power they say they can.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #130 of 183
Focal utopias should be at my workplace in a couple of weeks so I can then test them side by side.

The problem is having an amp that can power the Susvara that can also drive the Utopia. As the Susvara sounds best from speaker taps but you can't do that with the Utopia.

Probably use the Oppo HA-1 again.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #131 of 183
Jun 22, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #135 of 183
They definitely don't feel heavy.

It's interesting finding out what amps can handle them. I maxxed out an Audio-gd NFB-1AMP with some tracks. It didn't clip though and behaved perfectly.

My Studio Six technically doesn't have enough grunt and I can max out the volume, so I've been using them with the Audiovalve Solaris mostly. They are sufficiently lively-sounding that where the NFB-1AMP was a bit boring with the HE1000 V2, it seems like a nice match with the Susvaras. A Master 9 would likely be better still. I don't think that they are the most nuanced, but they make music, even stuff that isn't that dramatic, sound exciting.

HiFiMan_Susvara-D75_7771_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back