Announcing the Launch of the SUSVARA
Jun 6, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #106 of 183
It depends on the source gain, but it will likely be maxed out on Med Gain. You'll have to probably use High Gain, but the GS-X MK2 is so quiet it won't add any audible hissing or hum (as long as your source is clean). Only issue is to remember to turn gain back to Med for other headphones so you don't damage your hearing later. I was able to try the Susvara on a GS-X MK2 recently at the LA Audio Show since both HifiMan and HeadAmp were there, and in High Gain, I never really went past 2 O'Clock position in High gain with really quiet music.
Thx. First I'm going to a meet to test susvara, I doubt head amp is there being in Toronto, but that will be my first listen to any hifi man product. Frankly it has to be spectacular for that price. Second since I have limited room on my desk I stack gsx and under high gain there is a faint hum in the black. So med gain preferred and I'd bet I don't listen as loud as some here, so it may be ok. Or I have to consider some type of riser for gsx to separate them vertically. But baby steps as I dunno about susvara at this junction, but thx for the heads up.
Concerning source the TT set volume inline can be adjusted up, digital volume, lots of room....

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #107 of 183
Or I have to consider some type of riser for gsx to separate them vertically. But baby steps as I dunno about susvara at this junction, but thx for the heads up.
Concerning source the TT set volume inline can be adjusted up, digital volume, lots of room....

Crank your source for sure, hopefully it'll be loud enough to keep you in Med gain.

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #108 of 183
OK got to test susvara, he1000, and he 6, my first exposure to hifi mans sound. First any exaggerations are to drive the metaphor. second i listened on a variety of gear but i would confirm that my system of TT and gsx mk2 could power these puppies easy on medium gain, judging what i had as a comparable. 1.25 watts se tube, to 1.5 balanced solid state. Regardless my first impressions of hifi man is an interesting closed sounding open can, and please this is not negative. it just doesn't have the airy openess of hd800S..
In short he6 is a bass monster, he 1000 is a balanced machine, susvara brings the mids forward, vocals forward, and throws super low to high without missing a beat. Smooth, balanced, with that hifi man in your head sound. no sibilance. i used my own tunes and jazz it excelled at, electronic very nice, alternative rock bassy enough also good.
Susvara is comfortable to wear and its smooth delivery ensures long listening sessions are very doable. Given my present collection i could confirm that hifi man could fit nicely, next i have to listen to lcd 4 to compare the audez house sound in comparison. If money was not an object id pick susvara over he1000 any day. now that i have heard susvara i couldn't buy he1000, he6 is just a bass can within the range and conflict with my la900, not that they are the same. Playing the value game is just that, value. Its susvara or nothing for me in the hifi man range. By the way its a proto type can, not production. Hats off for the effort although a lottery winnings may be necessary. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #110 of 183
Unless they sell some, they can set the price to whatever they want without making any money. Had they priced it closer to $2K, I can only imagine how they'd have sold truck loads of these.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #111 of 183
Unless they sell some, they can set the price to whatever they want without making any money. Had they priced it closer to $2K, I can only imagine how they'd have sold truck loads of these.
I think he1000 is more than that currency dependant and I don't know what susvara tech costs but it sounded twice as good to me as he 1

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #112 of 183
I think he1000 is more than that currency dependant and I don't know what susvara tech costs but it sounded twice as good to me as he 1

For real ? You can say some headphone is TWICE as good as Another while both is high-end ? That is awesome. I hope SusVara MkII will sound as Twice as good to the MkI in the future

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #113 of 183
For real ? You can say some headphone is TWICE as good as Another while both is high-end ? That is awesome. I hope SusVara MkII will sound as Twice as good to the MkI in the future

I bit my tongue when I wrote that, I never give % or times better ever, just what my preference is. Now I'd like to give susvara more time, on my system, but I did do a half hour at least and found among other things its truly great on jazz, the purcussion, slap bass, and vocals so real and yet smooth. I really enjoyed he 1 but 30 seconds into susvara you knew susvara was the thing.
Now I have not heard audez, that's next.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #114 of 183
I was at the Toronto event and I heard the Susvara. The room had a lot of background noise and it was hard to get a real handle on the sound of the headphones. I heard three tracks. One of female vocals, one classical and one passage with heavier bass.My impression of the Susvara was certainly good but not 2X better than my HE1000 V1's. I would need a quiet, extended session to make any more definitive opinion of the Susvara. The opinion I did have was smooth, effortless presentation. What I did not hear or feel was the pressure of bass that I get with my HE 1000's. This could have been attributed to the source or amplification. In my case, I'll wait it out to make my final decision on the Susvara's merit.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #115 of 183
OK got to test susvara, he1000, and he 6, my first exposure to hifi mans sound. First any exaggerations are to drive the metaphor. second i listened on a variety of gear but i would confirm that my system of TT and gsx mk2 could power these puppies easy on medium gain, judging what i had as a comparable. 1.25 watts se tube, to 1.5 balanced solid state. Regardless my first impressions of hifi man is an interesting closed sounding open can, and please this is not negative. it just doesn't have the airy openess of hd800S..
In short he6 is a bass monster, he 1000 is a balanced machine, susvara brings the mids forward, vocals forward, and throws super low to high without missing a beat. Smooth, balanced, with that hifi man in your head sound. no sibilance. i used my own tunes and jazz it excelled at, electronic very nice, alternative rock bassy enough also good.
Susvara is comfortable to wear and its smooth delivery ensures long listening sessions are very doable. Given my present collection i could confirm that hifi man could fit nicely, next i have to listen to lcd 4 to compare the audez house sound in comparison. If money was not an object id pick susvara over he1000 any day. now that i have heard susvara i couldn't buy he1000, he6 is just a bass can within the range and conflict with my la900, not that they are the same. Playing the value game is just that, value. Its susvara or nothing for me in the hifi man range. By the way its a proto type can, not production. Hats off for the effort although a lottery winnings may be necessary. :L3000:

Thanks for your impressions. Yes, the Susvara is a very special pair of headphones. :)

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #116 of 183
Hope to read some reviews soon

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #117 of 183
+1

I have alot of flagship headphones or have owned them, 6k is something that is putting me off for a headphone. I have never complained about prices but 6k is a tough pill to swallow. I may just go estat and call it a day now that I have sold my amp/dac.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #118 of 183
whats this? :D

Running a Marantz PM-44 MKII SE into the HE-Adaptor into these....

IMG_20170619_174354.jpg

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #119 of 183
Well?

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #120 of 183
In Munich's HighEnd show, in a quit private room, we had a chance to hear the susvara, and compare it to a HE1000 V2, and.... we could not convince us that the susvara was better than the HE1000 V2.

So, considering that the susvara cost +50% than the HE1000 and also is more demanding on the Amplification, I do not see the interest for the susvara since the HE1000 V2 is already excellent !

--> Has someone else been able to compare the susvara and the HE1000 ? I will be very interested to hear other opinions regarding those 2 headphone comparaison....

NOTE re the low efficiency of the susvara: The new A&K SP1000 can drive very well the HE1000. I am not sure it will be the same with the susvara. --> Has anyone tested susvara with SP1000 or AK380+AKAMP ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back