Announcing the Launch of the SUSVARA
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #136 of 183
They definitely don't feel heavy.

It's interesting finding out what amps can handle them. I maxxed out an Audio-gd NFB-1AMP with some tracks. It didn't clip though and behaved perfectly.

My Studio Six technically doesn't have enough grunt and I can max out the volume, so I've been using them with the Audiovalve Solaris mostly. They are sufficiently lively-sounding that where the NFB-1AMP was a bit boring with the HE1000 V2, it seems like a nice match with the Susvaras. A Master 9 would likely be better still. I don't think that they are the most nuanced, but they make music, even stuff that isn't that dramatic, sound exciting.

Now that is a very nice setup... my measly Marantz PM-5005 looks terrible in comparison, but they sound great with it.

They really do require a hell of a lot of power :D

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #138 of 183
Then power requirements alone, Utopia wins :D
I have not listened to utopia but my suspicion is that these are not direct head to head cans. I have not read a utopia description of its sound that compared to what I heard listening to susvara. So I think it will be preference of sound.

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #139 of 183
The thing I'm missing with the Susvaras is the nuanced detail of the Utopias. I remember back when people were posting impressions of the original HE1000 and someone put a pair of Audeze pads on them and sealed up the bottom. I recall them saying that the result was much more impactful (or words to that effect) like the HE-6. The Susvara to me matches that description.

The Utopias, in comparison, require speed. That, to me, is why they seemed best out of two high-end tube amps.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #140 of 183
Heard the Susvara today. It sounded warmer than I imagined it would, but still very nice sounding. There was speed and detail, yet warmth and impact. It didn't sound sweet in the mids like the LCD-4, but there was enough meat on the bone to enjoy them quite a bit. I was surprised by the tuning, I don't know why but I was. I haven't heard the HE-6 but if they sounded like this then I can see the appeal. Meet conditions were not optimal so I can't really expand on soundstage, imaging or any fine details. All in all it's definitely a different headphone from the Utopia.

I also heard the HE-1000 right afterwards and they fell short for me, in direct comparison to the Susvara. The HE-1000 didn't sound as clean or as cohesive, IMO.

IMG_4856.JPG Snapseed.jpg IMG_4854.JPG IMG_4850.JPG

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #141 of 183
Felt pretty much the same, he 6 was a bass machine, he 1 came off tame and balanced, nice tho. Susvara warm with nice detail for the mids, vocals forward intimate, like a jazz club in my head. Need the tour to try on my equipment although my testing environment was quiet cause I went at opening.

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #142 of 183
Heard the Susvara today. It sounded warmer than I imagined it would, but still very nice sounding. There was speed and detail, yet warmth and impact. It didn't sound sweet in the mids like the LCD-4, but there was enough meat on the bone to enjoy them quite a bit. I was surprised by the tuning, I don't know why but I was. I haven't heard the HE-6 but if they sounded like this then I can see the appeal. Meet conditions were not optimal so I can't really expand on soundstage, imaging or any fine details. All in all it's definitely a different headphone from the Utopia.

I also heard the HE-1000 right afterwards and they fell short for me, in direct comparison to the Susvara. The HE-1000 didn't sound as clean or as cohesive, IMO.

So How's Susvara with WA7 Amp? Curious...

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #143 of 183
So How's Susvara with WA7 Amp? Curious...

If you're asking me I didn't try the Susvara with the WA7. Hopefully someone who has can answer your question.

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #144 of 183
The WA7 wouldn't have enough gain. You're pretty much looking at amps that have enough power even for speakers.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #145 of 183
i think this is ridiculous. I listened to susvara on systems with crappy players, ok dacs, and so so tube se amps or an acceptable old school solid state amp balanced. It played the susvara fine. Was it near the capability of my system, no. i did have to turn up the volume to half and over, on my system i would blow my eardrums out using hd800s.
the system is better from source though to the cans, the production out of them is better, end of.
Now I'm not knocking hifi man at the toronto meet but seriously it was not premiere gear, i had to plug in my iPhone as a source to control for the crap input. seriously an iPhone 7 with a dongle.....it still sounded good.
I can't wait to test the susvara chops on my system if they get the tour going.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #146 of 183
there is the amp, tube, i believe 1.25 watt se that i used at the toronto meet, bottom left picture top of page, it sounded fine, warm, half power and i plugged my iPhone into it.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #149 of 183
Just blitzing the three susvara threads on head fi. Couple of questions from the initial toronto meet, which left me intrigued with the prototype that i tested. In the next few months 1) is there a canada tour going. 2) who in canada ( toronto) is actually carrying susvara. How do i get my hands on one to test on my equipment.
thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back