Anedio D2 DAC release
Feb 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #123 of 1,417
I would have thought you'd be among the first to receive your D2. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #124 of 1,417

Quote:
Yep, the race is on! First person to receive it wins! 

Seriously though, many of us should be receiving the D2 in the next few weeks. I'm excited to hear it, though as most people know I'm pretty conservative about initial impressions and opinions. 

Would I be the winner? I will recieving mine on Mon, but won't be listening to it till Friday when I reach home. :p

I hope that we have a winner at our hand.

KK

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #125 of 1,417

Quote:
I would have thought you'd be among the first to receive your D2. 
biggrin.gif

Mine should be coming soon, I just heard from James the other day.

By the way - in case anyone is wondering about the holdup: Apparently they were waiting for one very important part to be delivered so they could finish each D2. The part is a new lower phase noise master clock. It is a new design that was not available when the D1 was made, so it is improved over the already great original. 

I picture rows of D2 units already built but missing the master clocks, just sitting there waiting for completion so they can ship. I don't know if that is accurate but hopefully they start getting into the hands of end users soon.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #126 of 1,417

Quote:

Would I be the winner? I will recieving mine on Mon, but won't be listening to it till Friday when I reach home. :p

I hope that we have a winner at our hand.

KK

We have a winner! Congratulations! The prize is...... getting to experience the D2 before the rest of us!

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #128 of 1,417
I am very anxious about to know the user's experience of the Anedio D2. I have a pair of monitors Axiom Audio M60V2 powered by Emotiva XPA-2 and headphones AKG K702.

One point of strong interest for me is how well will work the hibrid volume control (32 bits digital + one resistive divider) in the Anedio D2.

Best regards

Edgar Puglisi

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #130 of 1,417
I am a little disappointed because I read this review of Anedio D1 from http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/249-anedio-d1-dac-ess-sabre-9018

"Allow me to strike a bum note at this juncture: the Anedio's headphone stage and AKG 702 cans ain't a good pairing.  They sound thin, lifeless and seriously lacking in bass.  My friend - over for the afternoon - agreed.  Ultrasone DJ1 Pros faired much better...
For

1. Exceptional detail retrieval
  2. Sun-drenched clarity
  3. Versatility as pre-amplifier (and headphone amplifier)

Against
  1. Headphone output not suited to AKG 701/702"

--------------------

I hope the headphone amplifier section in the new Anedio D2 is better than D1, especially in the bass frequencies because AKG K701 and K702 are very common and good headphones for the price.

Edgar Puglisi

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #131 of 1,417
In the D1 thread it was mentioned that James of Anedio uses K70x's frequently, IIRC, and also that not everyone drew the same conclusion as Mr. Darko.

FWIW I sold my Meier Concerto (a highly regarded amp) because I found it no better than the D1 HPA with my 701's.

The D2 will just be that much better I'm sure.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #132 of 1,417
Yeah I wasn't really sure how Darko arrived at that conclusion. The only thing I can say is that some people fundamentally dislike the K701 sound signature unless they run them with a very warm amp. The D1 is not the type to color them, but drives them exceedingly well. If you don't like the result it means you probably need some different headphones. It's totally understandable but isn't the fault of the Anedio.

I know Darko tends to like tube gear and warmth in general, so this is the likely explanation. I wish he had tried a few other headphones though. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #133 of 1,417
FWIW, IME the K701/2 needs a good bit of current, I had them alongside the HE-5/EF5 combo a while ago and they demanded close to the same amount of power as the HiFiMAN ortho.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #135 of 1,417

Quote:
My D2 arrived!  That makes me the first to post a pic in here!

Nice! Mine arrived as well, though I didn't get a chance to take a pic. 

The new case is interesting. Compared to the original, it is smaller and lighter, and more understated on the front panel. I kind of miss the blue accents and the "retro" look of the original, though the D2 has a definite resemblance in the design theme. So they both work for me I guess.

Btw nice table there. I want to chop it up and turn it into some woody headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back