Anedio D2 DAC release
Mar 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #136 of 1,417

Quote:
The new case is interesting. Compared to the original, it is smaller and lighter, and more understated on the front panel. I kind of miss the blue accents and the "retro" look of the original, though the D2 has a definite resemblance in the design theme. So they both work for me I guess.

We're just talking aestethics here, but I have a different opinion than you - I won't miss the blue lights one bit. I think they look tacky and show-offy.
Do we know when the pre-order period will end ?

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #137 of 1,417
I'm primarily using D2 to drive the LCD2 headphones.  My LCD2 is pretty much brand new, only had a couple hours on it.

Quick impression on D2 so far:

- The sound is very smooth with none of those digital artifacts.  Though a certain female vocal could sound smoother still.

- I couldn't tell much of a sonic difference using Toslink (Logitech Duet via Lifatec glass Toslink cable into D2) vs USB playback using Foobar2000.  I used some redbook classical tracks and the Chesky "The Worlds Greatest Audiophile" 24/96 high-res tracks.

- The transients and attacks are a bit slower than my full blown 2-ch stereo system.  The reverbs and decays are also a little less.  The former could be the characteristic of LCD2 or the limitation of the D2's heaphone amp.  The latter could improve once the unit has more break-in hours.  In my experience the Cree SiC would need 72-hr to reach 90% break-in.

- Bass is not nearly as punchy or tight as my full blown 2-ch.  But things could improve once the break-in is complete.

My 2-ch system consists of amps that have no negative feedbacks and high current drive (>50amps peak).  I run a bi-amp system with DSP active crossover, so there is no passive crossover b/w bass drivers and mid-range drivers/tweeters.  This achieves very high level of transparency.  It is a full digital setup with no DAC from the source to the amps.

So naturally, if D2 loses to my full blown 2-ch, I'm not surprised :)

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #138 of 1,417

Quote:
We're just talking aestethics here, but I have a different opinion than you - I won't miss the blue lights one bit. I think they look tacky and show-offy.
Do we know when the pre-order period will end ?

Yeah, I know those lights rubbed some people the wrong way. To each his own I guess. The new design is probably a safer bet in terms of pleasing the majority of people. 

Quote:
I'm primarily using D2 to drive the LCD2 headphones.  My LCD2 is pretty much brand new, only had a couple hours on it.

Quick impression on D2 so far:

- The sound is very smooth with none of those digital artifacts.  Though a certain female vocal could sound smoother still.

- I couldn't tell much of a sonic difference using Toslink (Logitech Duet via Lifatec glass Toslink cable into D2) vs USB playback using Foobar2000.  I used some redbook classical tracks and the Chesky "The Worlds Greatest Audiophile" 24/96 high-res tracks.

- The transients and attacks are a bit slower than my full blown 2-ch stereo system.  The reverbs and decays are also a little less.  The former could be the characteristic of LCD2 or the limitation of the D2's heaphone amp.  The latter could improve once the unit has more break-in hours.  In my experience the Cree SiC would need 72-hr to reach 90% break-in.

- Bass is not nearly as punchy or tight as my full blown 2-ch.  But things could improve once the break-in is complete.

My 2-ch system consists of amps that have no negative feedbacks and high current drive (>50amps peak).  I run a bi-amp system with DSP active crossover, so there is no passive crossover b/w bass drivers and mid-range drivers/tweeters.  This achieves very high level of transparency.  It is a full digital setup with no DAC from the source to the amps.

So naturally, if D2 loses to my full blown 2-ch, I'm not surprised :)

What are the specifics of your 2-channel setup if you don't mind me asking? Sounds intriguing.  I know James from Anedio was bi-amping some Magnepans with custom made active crossovers, and he enjoyed the results. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #140 of 1,417
Every toslink I have heard dishonors the name "Toshiba" . I suspect this accounts for the loss of transient response. There is another energy transformation here, from light to electrical, and I find these the most problematical I.E electrical to mechanical in speakers and vice versa in microphones.  I would love to hear impressions using SPDIF. Mine will ship next week. James is reducing the gain on my unit to better suit my tube amps. I wll post a review as soon as I have broken the unit in. I will also list all associated equpment as I will be using this primarily with speakers in my main system.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #142 of 1,417

Quote:
Jame's xovers were analogue. I would also like to know how your DSP xover works without some form of AD and/or DA. Regards

Yep, analog active crossover is still different from digital-based. 

I guess I'm familiar with digital stuff like the NAD M2 or my own Lead Audio LA-200, where you have digital inputs and then some form of Pulse Width Modulation combined with feedback and noise shaping. In those cases it can correctly be said that the signal is never converted to analog through a traditional DAC (though of course the very nature of PWM means it no longer remains strictly digital either). 

But I'm not up to date on how a DSP crossover would be used in such a scenario. I think some of the higher end DEQX units allow for digital in and digital out, so maybe that's what we are talking about?

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #143 of 1,417
Just placed my pre-order.  (Is it here yet?)  I'm coming from a Lavry DA-10, which I enjoyed very much, and I look forward to hearing what the D2 brings to the table given Project86's glowing review of the D1.  A buddy loaned me a V-Dac  (original version) to tide me over until the D2 arrives.  It's certainly serviceable, but not the sound quality I got from the Lavry, let alone what I hope to get with the D2.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #144 of 1,417

Quote:
Just placed my pre-order.  (Is it here yet?) 

I'm sure you already knew, but there will be a short wait till the D2 is back in stock. The U2 is also temporarily unavailable, with PCBs scheduled to arrive in 2-3 weeks. 

Anedio is just now getting back on their feet, and I'd be surprised if things will not be back to normal after the next resupply. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #147 of 1,417
We have a winner! Congratulations! The prize is...... getting to experience the D2 before the rest of us!

Just got back to Singapore and plug in the D2 to my Mac. Need to entertain my wife and kids first before I can do some serious listening. :p

BTW, I was referring to the D2 when I said that I hope we have a winner at hand. :D

Anyway , got to go back to entertain my family before they disown me. :p

Enjoy ur new toy...

KK

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #148 of 1,417
Internal pic of the D2.  Essentially, the U2 circuit board is included inside.  It is no longer using the Crystek CCHD-950 low jitter clock.  It is using something else.  I'm not sure what it is yet.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #150 of 1,417
Just want to check with the Mac users,

I can only get the Mac to recognize the D2 as a 24bit/48Khz DAC. Anyone is having the same problem? 
confused.gif

KK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back