Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #3,226 of 9,526
Silver lining?  It might be the kick in the ass Google/Android needs to prioritize this feature across their platform.

Unfortunately, it's only going to work in that respect if people care enough to actually make it matter. Given how most are, probably not (but then the potential as far as dock capabilities go in this respect is hard to ignore... Potentially there could be universal dock audio among other things...)

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,228 of 9,526
A word of warning to all users of UARP: the recent update changes the way the program handles clocks of USB audio class 2 devices, and this may result in loss of functionnality!

Thus, I can no longer use M2Tech HiFace DAC with Galaxy S3 :frowning2:(

I urge eXtream Software Development team to look into the issue as soon as possible! It's a paid program, and it's a pity some users who paid for the app will no longer be able to use it with their devices after the update!

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #3,229 of 9,526
  So, I had some time with the Z1 and Note 3 over the weekend, in relation to USB DACs I had these results with mine:

Z1: Apex Glacier, HiFimeDIY, Tiny-M working. Pico not working.
Note 3: Pico, HiFimeDIY, Tiny-M working. Apex Glacier not working (very annoying!)

Didn't have time to compare audio properly, had to check loads of other things like camera/connectivity etc. Will do some blind tests at release of these and others, particularly keen to try 24-bit Vs 16-bit and see whether anyone can do better than guessing when blinded.

Talk about Internet FUD....

Your post has made me almost skip upgrading from a Note 2

I ended up buying the Note 3 on faith. IT WORKS PERFECTLY WITH MY APEX GLACIER

I repeat: Apex Glacier is 100% compatible with the Note 3 (4G LTE 9005 model)

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #3,230 of 9,526

Careful with your manners there. Your style of response doesn't make your content anymore credible than his.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #3,231 of 9,526

You're going to go far here with that attitude, you might want to ease up a bit and try to get along? Perhaps take a look at my contribution to the thread before posting so aggressively?

It's great that your Apex is working with your Note, my Apex however doesn't work with my retail Note 3 (same LTE 9005 model) anymore than it did the pre-retail one I tested it with before. So, now the question becomes why does yours work, and mine doesn't? I wonder if they have changed anything about the USB connection in later (or earlier) Glaciers. When did you get yours?

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3,232 of 9,526

You're going to go far here with that attitude, you might want to ease up a bit and try to get along? Perhaps take a look at my contribution to the thread before posting so aggressively?

It's great that your Apex is working with your Note, my Apex however doesn't work with my retail Note 3 (same LTE 9005 model) anymore than it did the pre-retail one I tested it with before. So, now the question becomes why does yours work, and mine doesn't? I wonder if they have changed anything about the USB connection in later (or earlier) Glaciers. When did you get yours?

Just today.

It's a Hong Kong ROM, N9005XXUBMI7, which is the same version as the latest there is.

Sorry was a lil over excited :)

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #3,234 of 9,526
A word of warning to all users of UARP: the recent update changes the way the program handles clocks of USB audio class 2 devices, and this may result in loss of functionnality!

Thus, I can no longer use M2Tech HiFace DAC with Galaxy S3
frown.gif
(

I urge eXtream Software Development team to look into the issue as soon as possible! It's a paid program, and it's a pity some users who paid for the app will no longer be able to use it with their devices after the update!

UPDATE:

eXtream SD were very prompt to respond to my e-mail! Excellent customer service, I wish many big SW companies were 1/10th so efficient and user-friendly.

Anyway, the solution for UARP users who lost functionnality after the latest update, is to contact the developer's support, and they will provide you with a solution. Basically, they'll help you to roll back to the previous version of UARP.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3,236 of 9,526
Does anybody know if USB DACs on Android will work asynchronously?  For example, I wonder if the HRT Musicstreamer II will work in asynchronous mode with Android.

I THINK they do. At least, the M2Tech hiFace DAC, which is asynchronous, works. And it looks like the clocking is provided by the device. Maybe, eXtream SD guys are the best to ask.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #3,237 of 9,526
I think asynchronous DACs can revert to synchronous operation if it is not supported.  So in theory, the device will still work, but possibly not in asynchronous mode.
The HRT Musicstreamer 2 works on some Android phones, but I don't know if it is operating asynchronously.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #3,238 of 9,526

Yeah supposedly 4.4 will include OTG USB audio support but its just a rumor at this point. My guess is it will happen. The Nexus 7's hardware has the capability to do it but at this point it requires a custom ROM with USB audio support.

The leaked information mentions that the Nexus 5 will have OTG and USB audio support. The Intent USB_AUDIO_DEVICE_PLUG that you see in the screenshot has existed for quite some time, so that doesn't mean anything general about USB audio in 4.4.

For the UARP users with a USB audio spec 2 device: I am receiving a M2Tech HiFace DAC today that hopefully reproduces the sample rate issues. I expect to solve it in the next days, apologies for this.

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #3,240 of 9,526
I have been looking for a Micro USB Male to Micro USB Male OTG cable with right angled connectors - probably spent 6 hours searching google, ebay, amazon, and contacting random sellers. And it just does not seem like anyone makes them or willing to make them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back