Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3,241 of 9,526
Oct 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #3,246 of 9,526
  I can confirm the GS4 doesn´t work with my ODAC, which worked beautifuly with the GS3. 
Very bad move from Samsung. Had I known before, I wouldn´t have bought this phone. If anoybody has a way to let them know how they screwed this up. Maybe there´s hope that they can fix this. 

The Galaxy Note 3 (i.e. SM-N9005), using Neutron / Poweramp or USB Audio Recorder PRO, can work with an ODAC.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3,247 of 9,526
Can someone please explain how a USB cable can result in better sound?

From: [Mod Edit: URL removed. Site belongs to a banned member.]

"Anyway, as you can imagine the most important thing is whether or not it actually sounds any different or better than the cheap cable I have. In the past I found that headphone cables make the most obvious difference, then analog interconnects and finally digital cables. That being said the difference this cable made was obvious from the off. It had a typical warm copper sound to it that was very mellow and smooth. It helps tame a little bit of treble glare if presence in the earphone like with the Fischer Audio DBA-02 or Rhapsodio R^2 and gives a nice smooth, buttery tone to the midrange. I also found the old iBasso cable I used to take a bit of life out of the DACs that I knew and loved. At the time I thought maybe Android was just not that good a transport but I can now conclude that the cable was just getting in the way and that this turns my Android rig into one that is truly amazing."

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #3,248 of 9,526
Can someone please explain how a USB cable can result in better sound?

From: [Mod Edit: URL removed. Site belongs to a banned member.]
"Anyway, as you can imagine the most important thing is whether or not it actually sounds any different or better than the cheap cable I have. In the past I found that headphone cables make the most obvious difference, then analog interconnects and finally digital cables. That being said the difference this cable made was obvious from the off. It had a typical warm copper sound to it that was very mellow and smooth. It helps tame a little bit of treble glare if presence in the earphone like with the Fischer Audio DBA-02 or Rhapsodio R^2 and gives a nice smooth, buttery tone to the midrange. I also found the old iBasso cable I used to take a bit of life out of the DACs that I knew and loved. At the time I thought maybe Android was just not that good a transport but I can now conclude that the cable was just getting in the way and that this turns my Android rig into one that is truly amazing."

It can't. He's experiencing expectation bias (or he's full of you know what). Theoretically, with the right tools, you could prove him wrong by showing that the exact same ones and zeros are being received by the DAC regardless of which cable you use (unless the cable is actually malfunctioning).

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #3,250 of 9,526
Well, while I have never been obsesses with expensive cables, I have to say there is underlying physical sense to such claims. Another question is whether you can hear differences or not.

But just remember, that there are never any bits travelling across metal conductors. There are always all the same good old electrical impulses that do the trick. And as such, they have two key characteristics that are later used to decipher them into "bits": their magnitude and their timing.

IF a conductor can have a MEASURABLE impact on these two characteristics, theoretically it can have an impact on the end product - the sound.

Never used any USB cables more expensive than 15 bucks, and never heard any differences, but I can understand the underlying theory. I just don't hear it - but it does not mean it's not there, is it? :)))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3,251 of 9,526
You're right and I should have pointed out that timing plays a part as well. Most people who claim USB cables can sound different point to jitter as the reason since there's not much else that could vary but I still question that the signal being received is any different because of the cable. Most people with knowledge on the subject (technical/engineering knowledge on cables and electronics as opposed to subjective audiophile experiences) would tell you that any properly shielded USB cable that isn't malfunctioning will produce the same results and that includes the < $5 ones you find on Amazon and the like.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #3,252 of 9,526
But just remember, that there are never any bits travelling across metal conductors. There are always all the same good old electrical impulses that do the trick. And as such, they have two key characteristics that are later used to decipher them into "bits": their magnitude and their timing.

The only way variance in the magnitude and timing of the electrical impulses could effect the sound is if they effect the resulting digital signal because two identical digital signals will produce the same analog signal on any given DAC.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #3,253 of 9,526
Not only electrical impulses to deliver 1s and 0s. It really transfers power/electricity (and all its problems). 

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #3,254 of 9,526
Yes but that's converted to a digital signal, ones and zeros, and unless those differ the sound is identical.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #3,255 of 9,526
This conversation is best carried out in Sound Science section. It's not new and has been controversial for as long as I know the topic has been asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back