Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,396 of 9,526
Quote:
Folks, Im gonna be totally noobesque here......

Im no programmer so I get confused with all the talk of controllers etc etc.

I'll keep it simple and hopefully I'll get a " Dummies guide to using *blank* as DAC for android smart phone &/or Tablet "

I have the FiiO E17 ( The toughy from what Ive been reading )
And As source I have the Sony S1 tablet & Sony Xperia phone ( Plan to get the S3 )

What cables, apps etc will I need IF indeed this is possible???

Many thanks :)

u need OTG cable and usb audio recorder pro "application"
i think you need to have at least android 4.0 + for smartphone and 3.1+ for tablet

the setup will like below

Sources "tablet or phone" >>>> OTG cable + cable that comes with e17 >>>>e17>>>your earphone

and u will use usb audio recorder to play music through your e17

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,398 of 9,526
Quote:
Thankyou. 
Have you any links please and is this guaranteed to work on the E17?

i dun guarantee it, u need to check it urself, get an OTG cable and you can try usb audio recorder pro before u buy it.

some other devices used usb audio recorder pro + e17 and get it to work,e.g note 2 and s3, i dunno about sony devices, maybe danba knows @_@

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,399 of 9,526
Quote:
I am currently using Fiio E17 with mi SGS3 and it has an option to "disable" usb charging .... this is useful to avoid battery draining from SGS3 ! I don't know about the other dac/amp if they can do like this !
good luck

Any chance on a picture of this setup please???
Sorry Im on a 'Droid > E17/D-Zero > HD25/DT1350/M-80 hunting spree lol...

P.s. 

Not to wollax.
After a tad of research and some thinking, 

I will be getting an S3.
I already have the E17 & Im getting the Pelican PB2 next month to go with a balanced HD25.
So I think Im going to grab a D-Zero also. 

Then I have the following options - 

S3 > E17 > HD25 ( single ended )
S3 > D-Zero > HD25 ( single ended )
S3 > D-Zero > Pelican ( Through Line-out ) > Balanced HD25. 

So many idea's going through my head right now lol.

Basically I'll have the popular iPhone/iPod > CLAS > Amp rig ( CLAS is a bday pressy in June )
However Im of the rare breed who likes Apple & Android equally lol So I would like to have the option of using both.

Thanks for your help tonight guys :) ( I know I can be a pain lol )

Now, Lets hope some nice NON generic OTG Cables pop up on the market soon, After all, 
The Apple folks get a nice sexy USB to LOD, Why cant the Droid crowd get one too?! lol...

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,400 of 9,526
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, and if it isn't I apologize, but what do I need to do in order to get a DAC ( I was looking at getting the FiiO e17, but if there is a better option let me know) to work with my ASUS TF300T without USB Audio Recorder PRO ( I don't want to deal with loading in one song at a time, and I also have a lot of 320kbs mp3s ). If I need to root and get a different kernel I will. The tablet is running on 4.1.1 Jelly Bean currently.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,401 of 9,526
I think you should find some developers on Xda forum to enable the USB audio driver
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1582

or ask developers of existing music players to work with eXtream Software Development on a USB audio service interface.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=music+player&c=apps

Quote:
I spoke to eXtream Software Development they and the dev of Neutron Player, are looking into this. They are looking to see how feasible it is to implement reliably.

Thats all for now though.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,402 of 9,526
So, I have my Fiio E10 working well with my Acer A500 under USB Audio Recorder but I dont understand howsome folks are running USB audio in other media players such as Neutron. As soon as I select the 'play in media player' option in USB Audio Recorder the sound reverts to the internal processor.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers!

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,403 of 9,526
I'd guess you exit recorder, and start Neutron by itself.  if Neutron worked before with your DAC, seems to me it should work as I have described..  Just my 2 cents worth

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,404 of 9,526
Quote:
So, I have my Fiio E10 working well with my Acer A500 under USB Audio Recorder but I dont understand howsome folks are running USB audio in other media players such as Neutron. As soon as I select the 'play in media player' option in USB Audio Recorder the sound reverts to the internal processor.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers!

This is still under development, no one is able to do this, yet!

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,407 of 9,526
I have headphones, an amp with a mini usb port, and a phone with a micro usb port. Besides the obvious 3.5 mm cable to go from the headphones to the amp, is there anything else I would need besides a micro to mini usb cord? Using a Galaxy Note 2, a ViiO E07K, my V-Moda M-100 heaadphones and cord, and a micro to mini usb cord.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,408 of 9,526
Quote:
I have headphones, an amp with a mini usb port, and a phone with a micro usb port. Besides the obvious 3.5 mm cable to go from the headphones to the amp, is there anything else I would need besides a micro to mini usb cord? Using a Galaxy Note 2, a ViiO E07K, my V-Moda M-100 heaadphones and cord, and a micro to mini usb cord.

If what you had is just an amp, then nope, it sounds like you're good! Your Note 2 will do the digital-to-analog conversion, amplify it, output it via the 3.5mm jack, which you'll then run into the amp, and from the amp into the M100s. Now, it becomes a bit more interesting if your amp is also a DAC-- which yours is. The problem is that I don't believe the E07k has been confirmed to work without the USB Recorder app, which makes it suboptimal for music playback. 

As an aside, IMO, part of the improvement in SQ in utilizing an external DAC is that you get an un-amplified output (even when the volume is changed, I believe it is done digitally), so you don't get the reduction in quality that comes from re-amplifying an amplified signal. There are vastly more knowledgeable minds about these matters here than mine, however, so I stand open to correction if it's warranted. (Obviously, if your cans can't run sufficiently from the Note 2s output, then you'd pretty much have to use external amplification, but I'd still wager you'd be better off using both your external DAC and amp. But your M100s should be fine.) 

So I'd say if you can get the E07k to work as both a DAC and an amp, you'll be very well off! If you can only use it as an amp, I'd say your chances of experiencing significant improvements in SQ would diminish pretty dramatically. 

Again, this is just my opinion, and I don't pretend it's even remotely as knowledgeable as some 'round these parts (lookin' at you, DanBa!! 
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #1,409 of 9,526
Quote:

If what you had is just an amp, then nope, it sounds like you're good! Your Note 2 will do the digital-to-analog conversion, amplify it, output it via the 3.5mm jack, which you'll then run into the amp, and from the amp into the M100s. Now, it becomes a bit more interesting if your amp is also a DAC-- which yours is. The problem is that I don't believe the E07k has been confirmed to work without the USB Recorder app, which makes it suboptimal for music playback. 

As an aside, IMO, part of the improvement in SQ in utilizing an external DAC is that you get an un-amplified output (even when the volume is changed, I believe it is done digitally), so you don't get the reduction in quality that comes from re-amplifying an amplified signal. There are vastly more knowledgeable minds about these matters here than mine, however, so I stand open to correction if it's warranted. (Obviously, if your cans can't run sufficiently from the Note 2s output, then you'd pretty much have to use external amplification, but I'd still wager you'd be better off using both your external DAC and amp. But your M100s should be fine.) 

So I'd say if you can get the E07k to work as both a DAC and an amp, you'll be very well off! If you can only use it as an amp, I'd say your chances of experiencing significant improvements in SQ would diminish pretty dramatically. 

Again, this is just my opinion, and I don't pretend it's even remotely as knowledgeable as some 'round these parts (lookin' at you, DanBa!! 
biggrin.gif
)

Im not very clued up on the digital side of things, However you're pretty much on the ball there.
By using an external DAC you bypass the sources internal amp and DAC,
So you're source basically becomes a Transport. 
The external DAC's etc are usually capable of outputting higher bitrates etc ( I believe )
So you end up with a far cleaner sound and your rig is also going be more optimal :)

But like you said, There are better minds so please correct me if im wrong or right folks lol.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #1,410 of 9,526
Higher bit rates, sample rates, or bit depth going to the DAC have **** all impact on quality. The way you describe it anyway.

24bit bit depth helps prevent the loss of quality incurred from using 16bit output and digital volume control.

Higher bit rate files in lossy formats like mp3 and aac do improve sound quality.

External DACs have better signal to noise ratio and dynamic range, basically it's clearer and provides more details.
Im not very clued up on the digital side of things, However you're pretty much on the ball there.
By using an external DAC you bypass the sources internal amp and DAC,
So you're source basically becomes a Transport. 
The external DAC's etc are usually capable of outputting higher bitrates etc ( I believe )
So you end up with a far cleaner sound and your rig is also going be more optimal :)

But like you said, There are better minds so please correct me if im wrong or right folks lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back