Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 11, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #8,236 of 9,526
If there's one major advantage using the 10" Lenovo tablet (or any tablet). Using it a few hours a day I get well over a week battery life using it as a transport. Pretty sure it holds a 7000mah battery. True champion at running for days without concern.

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #8,237 of 9,526

I have ana android phone and I dont love the way it sounds. I wnat to go for a dac/amp for it.

What are the best options under 200 euros?

The android is 5 version so it works with dac.

AudioQuest Dragonfly Red, this you can carry in your shirt pocket and easily get better audio from any phone or computer
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion

I really like the way it looks and the fact that I can use it on my companies pc as well as my own mac.

Does it amplify also?

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #8,238 of 9,526

I really like the way it looks and the fact that I can use it on my companies pc as well as my own mac.

Does it amplify also?

I haven't try it out for myself but everything said about the Red has been very positive, good power for the size also this doesn't have a bettery that is one less thing to worry about just plug and play

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #8,239 of 9,526

Does it amplify also?

It amplifies plenty. Drives my Q701 perfectly.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #8,240 of 9,526
It amplifies plenty. Drives my Q701 perfectly.

FWIW, the Black seems to have more gain than the Red from the feedback in the main DF Red/Black thread - one of the rare instances where I find myself wishing I had harder-to-drive cans. Gain is only one part of the equation when it comes to driving headphones, but its annoying that I cant even take the DFB to 15% of it's capability with the 33-ohm Solo2 without using an external amp.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #8,241 of 9,526
My doggie needs help...

How do you suppress multiple pop-ups of Neutron and Hibymusic trying to connect to your DAC?

- I have multiple players on my android box (NeutronMP, Hibymusic).
- My DAC/Amp (Geek Pulse Infinity) is connected to it.
- I use my android box to view movies.
- Once in a while a pop-up from Neutron or Hiby appears to allow then to connect to the DAC.
- I won't allow these apps to have access  or I won't be able to hear audio from the film I am watching from another app.

Michael

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #8,242 of 9,526
Hi ladies and gents I need some help.
I can't remember were the info is...
My S5 is getting drained fast in my chain.
I just ordered a powered usb hub and want to power the 5V line via that.
Is there any pre made adapters about or do I have to try cutting up 2 USB Cables and practice my soldering...

Cheers for any thoughts or links

Keep smiling

Dave

Android device, USB DAC, USB hard drive & USB hub connected using regular USB OTG adapter & regular USB cables:

Android device >> USB OTG cable >> USB hub >> 
>> regular USB cable >> USB DAC
>> regular USB cable >> USB hard drive

Android device with micro USB receptacle >> micro USB OTG plug to USB standard-A receptacle adapter + regular USB cable usually provided by the USB hub maker >> USB hub

The insertion of the micro USB OTG plug (i.e. ID pin 4 grounded) into the micro USB receptacle of a dual-role Android device shall configure the Android device to USB host mode, able to work with a standard USB DAC always operating as USB peripheral.

Android device with micro USB receptacle >> micro USB OTG plug to USB standard-A receptacle adapter + regular USB standard-A plug to USB standard-B / mini-B / micro-B plug cable >> USB hub with USB standard-B / mini-B / micro-B receptacle >>
>> regular USB cable usually provided by the USB DAC maker >> USB DAC
>> regular USB cable usually provided by the USB hard drive maker >> USB hard drive

I can't remember were the info is...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4710#post_10544580

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #8,244 of 9,526
Thank you you are a superstar

Dave 8^)

QFT - without this thread and the tireless contribution of folks like @DanBa, many of us would have gone away convinced that USB audio on Android was nothing more than slick marketing from DAC manufacturers. It speaks volumes that many of these same manufacturers include a link to this thread in their online support pages - cant say I blame them given the minefield that phone/tablet manufacturers have left us with. I'm skeptical about many, many things in this crazy hobby but threads like this reaffirm my faith in the community.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #8,246 of 9,526
anyone tried a USB DAC on a Shield K1 with Marshmallow please ?

have a Samsung Tab S and Note 3 and annoyed that neither work with a USB DAC - other than with specific USB software (no use since all my music listening is with Spotify etc)

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #8,247 of 9,526
Its (and always) a hit and miss...

Those two (Samsung Tab S and Note 3) works with mine.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #8,248 of 9,526
anyone tried a USB DAC on a Shield K1 with Marshmallow please ?

have a Samsung Tab S and Note 3 and annoyed that neither work with a USB DAC - other than with specific USB software (no use since all my music listening is with Spotify etc)

Yup, like above its hit and miss.

I've owned 2 Note 3's which both worked natively. 2 Galaxy S4's on the same version of Android, only one worked natively. eBay is a good place for finding used Androids for our purpose even partially working. Often they might not read sim cards, network locked etc but still perfectly fine for us.

For dedicated home use I'm sticking with tablets for now.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #8,249 of 9,526
thanks Mickey and H20Fidelity - its annoying its so hit and miss on Android

both my Note 3 (Qualcom) and Tab S (Exynos) worked perfectly with 4.4 - neither work with Lollipop :frowning2:

Note 3 does work - with a work-around - faffy work around - but the Note 3 sounds ok as it is - it is the Tab S I don't like the sound of - and that I can't get the E17 to work with at all

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,250 of 9,526
To be specific, on my Note 3 with my Geek Out 1K DAC/Amp it worked with 4.4 but not w/ 5.02 and worked again with 5.1.

My M2Tech Hiface DAC have always worked. My Geek Pulse Infinity desktop DAC/Amp when it came worked in all of my devices w/c had 5.1 already.

My Tab S when bought came with Android 5.1 and worked on all my devices

My Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Ed. have always worked regardless of Android versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back