Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 5, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #8,222 of 9,526
Hello you very helpful bunch,

I have an LG G5 and the "martin" hybrid valve headphone amplifier with DAC (Kickstarter).

So I have sound working fine.

The problem is when I connect the phones USB-C to the DAC's micro-USB my phone starts charging the DAC's internal battery, I lose 1% phone battery charge for every minute the DAC is connected, not useable.

So, if it's possible, I need a cable that will block my phone from charging the DAC/Amp battery, can anyone please help?

Thanks.

Richard

Jul 5, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #8,223 of 9,526
I am not able to use Fiio Q1 DAC with my Oneplus One & UAPP..
UAPP always shows error that DAC is not found whereas this website says that OPO and Fiio Q1 are compatible 
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver

CAn anyone help me in the right direction

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #8,224 of 9,526
  I am not able to use Fiio Q1 DAC with my Oneplus One & UAPP..
UAPP always shows error that DAC is not found whereas this website says that OPO and Fiio Q1 are compatible 
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver

CAn anyone help me in the right direction

Android USB audio
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
FAQ
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XYy1FuzDUea3U3aTJ1RkpQdW8/edit?pref=2&pli=1

I have an Android device, a USB DAC and a USB OTG cable which are reportedly compatible, but I have not been able to make it work.
Is there a trick to make it work?

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #8,225 of 9,526
  Hello you very helpful bunch,

I have an LG G5 and the "martin" hybrid valve headphone amplifier with DAC (Kickstarter).

So I have sound working fine.

The problem is when I connect the phones USB-C to the DAC's micro-USB my phone starts charging the DAC's internal battery, I lose 1% phone battery charge for every minute the DAC is connected, not useable.

So, if it's possible, I need a cable that will block my phone from charging the DAC/Amp battery, can anyone please help?

Thanks.

Richard

I gather this is using a standard OTG cable/adapter for flashdrives?

What you can do is order this extension cable below.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251477749784?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then an OTG cable from this seller and attach it to the end. (or just this otg cable alone if you're stacking)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&rmvSB=true%7Ctrue&_ssn=yourcharger&item=301556014007&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xotg.TRS5&_nkw=otg&_sacat=0

That should stop your phone from charging the DAC.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #8,226 of 9,526
I have ana android phone and I dont love the way it sounds. I wnat to go for a dac/amp for it.

What are the best options under 200 euros?

The android is 5 version so it works with dac.

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #8,227 of 9,526
I have ana android phone and I dont love the way it sounds. I wnat to go for a dac/amp for it.

http://penonaudio.com/xDuoo-XD-05

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #8,228 of 9,526

AudioQuest Dragonfly Red, this you can carry in your shirt pocket and easily get better audio from any phone or computer
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805832/new-dragonfly-black-and-red-discussion

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #8,229 of 9,526
Head-Fi to the rescue - after two unsuccesful attempts with cheap Android phones, I finally got something that works straight up :

Lenovo Tab3 A7-10 -> Onkyo HF Player -> Dragonfly Black -> Beats Solo2

All up, probably one of the cheapest rigs here but I like what I'm hearing and that's the main thing. A big thank you to those who've kept this thread current - its a lifesaver for those of us who cant afford flagship phones or the iPad.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #8,230 of 9,526
  Head-Fi to the rescue - after two unsuccesful attempts with cheap Android phones, I finally got something that works straight up :

Lenovo Tab3 A7-10 -> Onkyo HF Player -> Dragonfly Black -> Beats Solo2

All up, probably one of the cheapest rigs here but I like what I'm hearing and that's the main thing. A big thank you to those who've kept this thread current - its a lifesaver for those of us who cant afford flagship phones or the iPad.

Really glad to hear you have it working. I think inexpensive tablets are an excellent alternative to smartphones when the location suits. I purchased my Lenovo tablet originally for movies, during my research I read it had OTG though wasn't my main thinking. After getting my DAC working with it the tablet has gained considerable more use, an excellent addition.  

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #8,231 of 9,526
Thanks again, @H20Fidelity - the only downside is that I now find myself looking at 600--ohm Beyers and cheaper planars (T50RPII 'cheap', not SH LCD-X :d) to see just what the DFB will drive at anything above very low volume on my tablet. Manufacturers clearly read Head-Fi - understandable if they want their product to sell - but I suspect that they've over-estimated the number of people who need to drive HD800s from a portable device (or perhaps I've just under-estimated that group !).

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #8,232 of 9,526
Thanks again, @H20Fidelity
- the only downside is that I now find myself looking at 600--ohm Beyers and cheaper planars (T50RPII 'cheap', not SH LCD-X :d) to see just what the DFB will drive at anything above very low volume on my tablet. Manufacturers clearly read Head-Fi - understandable if they want their product to sell - but I suspect that they've over-estimated the number of people who need to drive HD800s from a portable device (or perhaps I've just under-estimated that group !).

That sounds like a task for a demo store near you to test.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #8,233 of 9,526
That sounds like a task for a demo store near you to test.

Sadly, I live in a one-horse town and even the horse is bored. Like many Head-Fiers, I'm now forced to buy everything online - first world problem, I know, but frustrating nonetheless. Still, when I lived in Thailand I couldnt visit Bangkok without spending money on new toys, so it might be a blessing after all.

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #8,234 of 9,526
Hi ladies and gents I need some help.
I can't remember were the info is...
My S5 is getting drained fast in my chain.
I just ordered a powered usb hub and want to power the 5V line via that.
Is there any pre made adapters about or do I have to try cutting up 2 USB Cables and practice my soldering...

Cheers for any thoughts or links

Keep smiling

Dave

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #8,235 of 9,526
Hi ladies and gents I need some help.
I can't remember were the info is...
My S5 is getting drained fast in my chain.
I just ordered a powered usb hub and want to power the 5V line via that.
Is there any pre made adapters about or do I have to try cutting up 2 USB Cables and practice my soldering...

Cheers for any thoughts or links

Keep smiling

Dave

For me, it was just a case of plugging the cable that came with my USB hub into the OTG adapter's female USB-A output and pluugging the Dragonfly into the other side of the USB hub - works perfectly with my laptop but I'm having issues with my Lenovo tablet (loud clicking instead of music, and from memory that's a handshaking issue). The hub WILL accept a micro USB connector as input, but I wasnt happy with intermittent dropouts and went back to the stock cable. Given how cheap many USB hubs are online (or even in thrift stores), my advice is to give it a shot - you dont have much to lose even if it doesnt work for you. FWIW, I'm ecstatic with the hub from my laptop but that's probably a topic unto itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back