Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 20, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #8,043 of 9,526
So want to have an all-in-one media player and decided to try a beastly HiMedia Q10 Pro at about $200
http://www.futeko.com/products/MP068.php
http://www.himediatech.com/q10pro.html

Trully a beast! It runs smoother playing 2160p/60Hz videos than my PC with a GTX970.

Geek Out 1k and Geek Pulse Infinity runs via USB thru Neutron MP. Plays DXD and DSD128 without a hitch. Couldn't play UAPP, Onkyo HF or Hiby due to interface problems (could not access settings).

It doesn't support my DACs natively though. Therefore no sound while playing videos. Will test later thru Toslink/SPDIF.

Update: Toslink works!

So DXD and DSD thru USB.
Movies and Internet media via Toslink.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #8,045 of 9,526
Is OTG a must requirement for USB DAC/Portable HD/Mouse/Keyboard etc.. to work on Android?

My Q10 Pro TV Box runs on Android 5.1 and can have access directly on my Portable HD, DAC and Mouse w/o OTG cable.

A guy in a forum says it runs on my unit's OTG implementation. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #8,046 of 9,526
Just in case anyone was interested the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime running Android 5.1.1 does NOT support OTG at all.  

Pretty good phone as it is a step below the S series (aside from phablets) and supports LTE band 12 on T-Mobile.  HP out sound is pretty poor with a somewhat U shaped response.  Mids way too back for me.  I have to use my 2nd Gen Moto G running HP out to get proper placement of mids for my ears.  I give up a bit at the extremes though.  

And really have not found a reasonable priced USB OTG dac/amp that is  all that much better with my iems than the hp out.

cheers

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #8,047 of 9,526

Is OTG a must requirement for USB DAC/Portable HD/Mouse/Keyboard etc.. to work on Android?
My Q10 Pro TV Box runs on Android 5.1 and can have access directly on my Portable HD, DAC and Mouse w/o OTG cable.
A guy in a forum says it runs on my unit's OTG implementation. 

Nope! The Android device must have a USB host port in order to work with USB DAC/Portable HD/Mouse/Keyboard/etc.

USB is a master-slave communication bus: USB communication can only take place between a master device and a slave device.
A master, or USB host, is usually a computing device.
A slave, or USB peripheral, can be a USB DAC, a hard disk drive, a mouse, a keyboard, a computing device, etc.

The HiMedia Q10 Pro TV box has several USB ports:
http://www.futeko.com/products/MP068.php
. Three USB host ports:
music player running on Q10 Pro operating as USB host > Q10 Pro: USB host port >> regular USB cable >> USB DAC: USB peripheral port > USB  DAC
. One USB peripheral port:
Q10 Pro operating as USB peripheral > Q10 Pro: USB peripheral port >> regular USB cable >> PC: USB host port > file explorer running on PC

The smartphone has only one USB port: it should be a dual-role USB port, sometimes a USB host port, sometimes a USB slave port.
As legacy computers, legacy peripherals like Android smartphones having all the features of a computer need to interconnect with peripherals. This slave-to-slave communication functionality is not supported by the master-to-slave communication USB model.
To address this need, the USB OTG concept is added to the USB standard in 2009.

USB OTG retains the legacy master-to-slave or USB host-to-USB peripheral communication model.
A USB OTG device is a dual-role USB device, sometimes a USB host, sometimes a USB peripheral:
. a USB OTG-capable Android device operating as a USB peripheral can interwork with a PC operating as a USB host
. a USB OTG-capable Android device operating as a USB host can interwork with a USB DAC always operating as a USB peripheral.

A USB OTG software program and USB OTG hardware components are added at the USB level. A USB OTG device is configured to USB host mode or USB peripheral mode by USB OTG software/hardware measuring the value of the ID resistance of the USB interface:
. Smartphone configured as USB host:
music player running on smartphone > smartphone: USB "host" port >> so called USB OTG cable (ID pin grounded) >> USB DAC: USB peripheral port > USB  DAC
. Smartphone configured as USB peripheral:
smartphone > smartphone: USB "peripheral" port >> regular USB cable >> PC: USB host port > file explorer running on PC

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #8,048 of 9,526
Thanks for the clear explanation Bro. As always....

Michael

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #8,049 of 9,526
Hello,
I recently bought JDS C5D and start using it with PC and my phone (Nexus 5 with Android 6.0.1) and I want to ask you guys three questions.

1. I found this article where author wrote that from Android 5 system natively supports 24bits, 96kHz and USB DACs. But in description of USB Audio Player PRO there is other information:
"Android 5 users: although Android 5 has some support for USB DACs, it is limited to 16-bit and sample rates of 44100/48000Hz. For high quality playback, you still need this app to enjoy 24-bit music at any sample rate your DAC supports." So is there a reason to buy dedicated player for sending raw audio data straight to DAC (like Foobar + Wasapi) or does other music aplications (Google Music, DS Audio, N7 player etc.) same job?

2. Is it possible (and safe for connected devices) to connect DAC + Phone with USB OTG Y cable and plug to the free slot wall power adapter or external battery? And can I then swtich the DAC in to the charge mode and charge both devices while they are playing?

3. Where in Europe can I buy some quality "Mini to Micro short USB OTG"? I dont want something fancy for 100€ but also I dont want to use cheap crap cable with cold joints on both side:wink: I only found cheap ones like this on ebay or fancy once like this FAW Copper/Silver Series Android Digital LOD. I want only good quality cable with good plugs and shielding.

Thanks

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #8,051 of 9,526
Update on my Q10 Pro

1. It does support my Geek Pulse Infinity natively but only at 48Khz. My bad, the system/device volume was at Minimun.
tongue.gif

2. Running it thru batteries (Using my Anker external that I used to power my Geek Pulse) do improve sonically.

Conclusion:
Android have come a long way, and it now becomes a viable, cost/effective alternative for Hifi desktop setup. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #8,052 of 9,526
  Hello,
I recently bought JDS C5D and start using it with PC and my phone (Nexus 5 with Android 6.0.1) and I want to ask you guys three questions.

1. I found this article where author wrote that from Android 5 system natively supports 24bits, 96kHz and USB DACs. But in description of USB Audio Player PRO there is other information:
"Android 5 users: although Android 5 has some support for USB DACs, it is limited to 16-bit and sample rates of 44100/48000Hz. For high quality playback, you still need this app to enjoy 24-bit music at any sample rate your DAC supports." So is there a reason to buy dedicated player for sending raw audio data straight to DAC (like Foobar + Wasapi) or does other music aplications (Google Music, DS Audio, N7 player etc.) same job?

The new Poweramp Alpha 703 build supports 24-bit/192khz upsampling on some phones, but only if the phone supports it. If your phone does not support hi-res, the option will not appear.

A free alternative to USB Audio Player PRO is Onkyo HF player, which also bypasses Android and directly communicates with your external DAC. However, I do not know if it can do 24/96 or higher since my DAC(V-MODA Vamp Verza) only supports 16/48 max. Maybe you can try HibyMusic.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #8,053 of 9,526
Onkyo HF can do / and can upsample thru DSD128. Can play DSD256 but downsampled to DSD128.

Like this one AAC 16bit upsampled to DSD128

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #8,054 of 9,526
Great thread!  I have a couple questions.  I apologize in advance if I didn't find the answer in this 8000 post thread.

1) Can you route a phone call through the DAC?

I don't mind having the phone handle the mic.  This was touched on earlier in the thread.  Is there a clear verdict?
Temporary solution - use a BT hands-free kit (with speaker) for calls.

2) Possible bug - Settings -> BT -> device option -> Phone Audio toggle doesn't stick.

I tried disabling phone audio for my car head unit, but the option doesn't stick.  Does anyone else have this problem?

3) Can you force Android to use the DAC instead of an active BT connection?

If the phone is connected to a device via BT, it will play music via BT rather than use the USB DAC. Per above, I can't toggle the HU BT settings.
Temporary solution - disable BT when in the car.  But, my smartwatch can't connect.

My scenario:
- car setup
- Droid Turbo, Lollipop
- Shield Tablet K1
- HiFiMe USB DAC (ES9023) -> equalizer -> amps
- Rocket Player

I'd like to replace the head unit with an android tablet (Shield K1) using an OTG-charge cable.  I'm currently testing using the phone, with the head unit still in place.  Some issues:

- Answering phone calls with a tablet.
Want to keep the phone in pocket.  I can use Tablet Talk to be notified about texts/calls.  I'm not aware of any way to route phone calls through a tablet.
Solution - use a separate BT hands-free kit for calls.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #8,055 of 9,526
  Affordable tiny DSD-capable Encore mDSD USB DAC/amp:
http://headfonics.com/2016/02/the-encore-mdsd-by-sonic-unity/
http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=13272

Samsung Galaxy Core Prime smartphone >> USB OTG adapter >> Encore mDSD >> Sennheiser Urbanite XL headphones

Hi @DanBa , could you please use Ampere app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere) with your smart phone.

I would like to know how many powers that your mDSD consume from mobile devices.

To compare the result with my mDSD here -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/797668/review-encore-mdsd-dac-amp-a-new-pocket-rocket-to-make-you-hum/45#post_12538714

Thank you very much and have a nice day... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit : Sorry @DanBa , I think mDSD is yours. My fault 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back