Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 15, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #8,011 of 9,526
  With my Samsung Note 3 and Note 10.1 (2014), I have more success with my Geek Out and Geek Pulse Infinity (Xmos, Sabre 9018K2M/AQ2M)  starting at Android 4.4.2, My M2tech Hiface DAC was spot on from Android 4.1

Hi and thanks a lot for the interesting information.   But you were using UAPP.
As i said no problem with Android 4.X and UAPP also here ... i just get great sound indeed (with the compatible dacs of course).
But i am also very interested to use my usb dac with other applications like Kodi, VLC and Youtube ...
and when i run them i have to close UAPP ... i cannot run both at the same time.
and i have understood now that to achieve this Lollipop is mandatory.
I would say unfortunately because my devices are almost all Android 4.X devices.
But no problem.   I should receive my 1st Lollipop very soon and will report my findings.
Thanks a lot again for the very helpful and kind support.
Regards,  gino

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #8,012 of 9,526
Hi and thanks a lot for the interesting information.   But you were using UAPP.
As i said no problem with Android 4.X and UAPP also here ... i just get great sound indeed (with the compatible dacs of course).
But i am also very interested to use my usb dac with other applications like Kodi, VLC and Youtube ...
and when i run them i have to close UAPP ... i cannot run both at the same time.
and i have understood now that to achieve this Lollipop is mandatory.
I would say unfortunately because my devices are almost all Android 4.X devices.
But no problem.   I should receive my 1st Lollipop very soon and will report my findings.
Thanks a lot again for the very helpful and kind support.
Regards,  gino

I don't think lollipop will be any better, in fact because it up samples native apps it sounds worse.

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #8,013 of 9,526
I don't think lollipop will be any better, in fact because it up samples native apps it sounds worse.

Hi i do not understand.  What means "samples native apps" ? do you mean "upsamples" ?
as i said main reason to upgrade to Lollipop (or Android 5.1)  is for its support of usb audio devices, so that i can use an usb audio dac also for watching movies played-back with Kodi, VLC or any other media player.
This is just not possible with Kit Kat for instance (actually this evening i am going to check the settings ... maybe i will find a surprise).
If i were interested only on audio i would be perfectly fine with the combination  Kit Kat+UAPP ... i heard a very good sound indeed.
But i have also some concerts on DVDs.
Unfortunately not all dacs around are compatible and plug and play with UAPP.
Thanks, gino

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #8,017 of 9,526
Have a Chord Mojo for home use but just ordered a Dragonfly Red to try with S7edge/iPhone/Z5mini (all with my Shure SE846's). Not expecting it to get near the Mojo but could be ideal for use with a smartphone, with it being a tiny USB low powered device with a Sabre ESS9016 DAC and 2.1v output. Don't have many DSD or 24/192 tracks anyway so not a major issue with its native max of 24/96 seeing as DSD too large to get many on a smartphone storage anyway.

Waiting for stock now (hoping to get next week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back