Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 7, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #7,561 of 9,526
Speaking of Neutron, on my Galaxy Note 3 + Geek Out 1K;it outputs only up to 24/192.

Let me check further again...

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #7,562 of 9,526
Quote:
  FYI - I heard back from iBasso support that there are known issues with the D-Zero MK2 and Marshmallow.  I asked about a firmware upgrade for the unit and they said the VIA USB chipset in the DAC can't be upgraded.  They said their D14 does work with Marshmallow (and has firmware that can be upgraded), so it looks like a new DAC is in my future - probably the D14 or E18.  

Wish I'd seen your post a couple of days ago.

I've just picked up a D-Zero MK2 off Ebay and after emailing iBasso support found out that I can't stream from Tidal through it. The most annoying part is I nearly bought the E18, but I found a mint used iBasso for £60.

Looks like that's going to be £60 on top of the E18. 
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #7,564 of 9,526

Why does Neutron not ask or require control of the USB out like UAPP, Hiby ONKYO ?

Go to Neutron settings > audio hardware, you need to enable the direct USB driver, close the app after it will work, I tried few weeks ago, but I still prefer UAPP because of the tweaks and glitch free use of any USB dac I own. For regular playback Neutron > All other music apps IMHO.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #7,565 of 9,526
  Why does Neutron not ask or require control of the USB out like UAPP, Hiby ONKYO ?

USB DAC: ODAC
Phone: Galaxy Note 3

Neutron request:

UAPP request: 

If you did the appropriate setting, I think your USB DAC is not "recognized" by Neutron (i.e. not compatible with the USB audio soft driver of Neutron) for the time being.

"Debugging USB DAC (if crashing or not recognized)
by dmitrykos » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:30 am

Since 1.68.0 version on Android platform Neutron provides ability to output to USB DAC directly if corresponding option is switched on.

That option is named [Direct USB Driver] and is located in [Audio Hardware] section of Neutron's settings. By default [Direct USB Driver] is switched off and the audio routing is done via OS with standard Android's format limitation.

If you switch on [Direct USB Driver], attach USB DAC (or it was attached) and Neutron crashes or nothing happens in Audio Hardware dialog (device name not changed, Frequency section shows just one frequency) then most probably your USB DAC has non-standard USB descriptor which has bug (majority of Fiio devices has buggy USB descriptor). Neutron is trying to be fault tolerant but it is impossible to foresee all possible situations, thus your help is really appreciated.

To help in debugging please provide the USB descriptors dump which can be obtained by several Windows tools. It would be great if 3 dumps are provided:

1) By USB View Microsoft's utility which comes with Windows SDK (here is latest version from Windows 10 SDK: http://neutronmp.com/download/tools/usbview.exe). Point to your DAC in the list -> navigate to File -> Save Current View... -> you will get TXT file with dump.

2) By Thesycon's USB utility (http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_descriptordumper.shtml, download: http://www.thesycon.de/tdd/tdd.exe). Choose your DAC from the list -> File -> Save to file ... -> you will get TXT file with dump. It can be useful to have HEX version as well, for that: Options -> Show Hex Dump -> -> Save to file ... -> you will get TXT file with dump.

Please post here your txt descriptors along with device (USB DAC) model. You can use quotes CODE
CODE: SELECT ALL
  to post them in a separate area for easier reading.
Or if you do not want to post on forum, please e-mail to neutronmp@gmail.com."
http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3156

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #7,567 of 9,526
The Neutron USB direct driver does not work with my micro iDSD too. Only with UAPP it works fine. I think it will take time that Neutron will support they same amount of USB DACs as UAPP does already.

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #7,568 of 9,526
  The Neutron USB direct driver does not work with my micro iDSD too. Only with UAPP it works fine. I think it will take time that Neutron will support they same amount of USB DACs as UAPP does already.

Yeah UAPP and Onkyo work fine. Hiby works and is the most beautiful but the eq is just too damn hard to see, Seriously...white on.... white
confused.gif
A dark theme would do wonders for that app

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #7,570 of 9,526
woot just got my usb otg cable! Fiio e17 working fine with my Note 4 exynos. tried HF player and HibyMusic. BTW does hiby also downsamples to 41/48 khz? Also, has anybody notice that one app tends to be louder than the other and sometimes they decide to switch? 

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #7,571 of 9,526
  Quote:

Wish I'd seen your post a couple of days ago.

I've just picked up a D-Zero MK2 off Ebay and after emailing iBasso support found out that I can't stream from Tidal through it. The most annoying part is I nearly bought the E18, but I found a mint used iBasso for £60.

Looks like that's going to be £60 on top of the E18. 
frown.gif

The E18 works with both of my Marshmallow devices.  Also, I upgraded my Nexus 7 to 6.0.1 (was running 6.0 before - just like my X Pure) today and that didn't fix the issue with the iBasso either.  

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #7,572 of 9,526
  Never had a problem with the E18, i bought the E18 two years to use it with the Samsung Galaxy S3, since then
i moved on to the Note 3, 4 and now i only use it with my son Nexus 7 (2013) to stream music from Google Music and Tidal.

Quick Reminder not all cable are the same, the micro usb cable that came with the Fiio won't work with the Note 4 and PHA3.
So if your having problem connecting a DAC to a phone try a different cable.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #7,574 of 9,526
  Never had a problem with the E18, i bought the E18 two years to use it with the Samsung Galaxy S3, since then
i moved on to the Note 3, 4 and now i only use it with my son Nexus 7 (2013) to stream music from Google Music and Tidal.

Quick Reminder not all cable are the same, the micro usb cable that came with the Fiio won't work with the Note 4 and PHA3.
So if your having problem connecting a DAC to a phone try a different cable.

I thought that all OTG cables would have the same pinouts. Different quality of cable etc. But isn't otg always otg? I have a few otg cables, all from different vendors. I am going to experiment and report back. But again, I thought all otg cables should behave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back