Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 14, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #7,066 of 9,526
My personal entry was after demoing Cozoy Astrapi, I started putting two and two together (before I even knew this thread existed). I had a brain storm one night about 3am in the morning about how cool it would be if my Tralucent DacAmp One could work with my phone like Astrapi. I connected it and it bloody worked.

I thought it was amazing, then things went from there. It's a great extension to escaping the regular audiophile DAP game and great extension of the hobby in general.

Amen to the extension of this hobby as I was most definitely over it, vowing to just stick with what I had after becoming a little disenchanted with the whole thing.

I'm excited and more over happy again with this hobby. Putting together a compilation for some serious testing this weekend along with a few Beck's. Now I'm going to have to buy the T51P's I've been lusting after to go with this rig.

So are you the guy?? If not who is??

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #7,067 of 9,526
  Amen to the extension of this hobby as I was most definitely over it, vowing to just stick with what I had after becoming a little disenchanted with the whole thing.

I'm excited and more over happy again with this hobby. Putting together a compilation for some serious testing this weekend along with a few Beck's. Now I'm going to have to buy the T51P's I've been lusting after to go with this rig.

So are you the guy?? If not who is??

I'm not the guy, no. The thread dates back to 2012 so they've been doing it a while I imagine. Can't say with which devices. But what's really opened up the possibilities are apps like Hiby and UAPP, they're giving new lease on life to some pairings which otherwise wouldn't work plug n play, sometimes making a connection between your droid and dac/amp is finicky, its not always smooth sailing from my research depending on your dac/amp, smartphone and Android version.

Like yourself now, the doors really open and a world of new possibilities start entering your mind. I've settled down a little now, but at first I was like a kid in candy store looking at smartphones, dac/amps, options etc.

Like discovering Head-fi again for the first time.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #7,068 of 9,526
  Like yourself now, the doors really open and a world of new possibilities start entering your mind. I've settled down a little now, but at first I was like a kid in candy store looking at smartphones, dac/amps, options etc.

Like discovering Head-fi again for the first time.

I'm still in the candy store.
gs1000.gif

Sure as hell saves me selling an old phone that was on a plan at a loss.

With regard to Hiby I found that on my S3 it seemed to take control of USB OTG and when closed did not relinquish control for other apps. Will wait for updates.

Will be tinkering this weekend with the trial versions of Onkyo and UAPP and will decide which one to buy and use exclusively with the oppo.

Have a good weekend H20. Cheers.

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #7,069 of 9,526
I might be the guy, my YouTube channel was all about testing connectivity of Android devices (it was the first to demo USB OTG on a stock Android phone, the Galaxy S2 for example), and once I got into audio in a big way I wanted this functionality. I wrote a piece about it at my now-defunct Android blog, and also was one of the (maybe THE) first person to demonstrate it with the S3, which was the first Android phone that could do it without Root shenanigans. That video has more than 2 million hits. Around that time someone else (possibly DanBa?) opened an Android improvement tracking request, I wrote a piece for my blog again and then started this thread to try and get people behind the tracking request. Early on in this thread I was contributing a lot of the testing information, but that soon escalated. I'd credit DanBa hugely with maintaining things and promoting awareness too.

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7,070 of 9,526
Update: Hiby Music 2.03 has been published!

A free lossless HiFi audio player which is designed for audiophile and music fans. 

What’s new:
1.Add hardware volume control
2.Add headphone control
3.Add facebook login
4.Allow adding CUE to the song list under folder catalog
5.Improve the compatibility of Cayin C5
6.Crash bugs fixes
7.Removal of Baidu Cloud, QQ/Sina weibo login, internal upgrade

You could search “HibyMusic” on GooglePlay.

Share a download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hiby.music&hl=en

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #7,071 of 9,526
^ Excellent, my Tralucent DacAmp One is now working with Hiby. 
smile.gif

I will keep using it over a day or two to test, though it appears to be working no problem!

(thanks)

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #7,073 of 9,526
Nice work on the Hiby update! This is a great player app. 

Would love to see the addition of (Artist + Album) category to the sort menu. I like that Hiby has its current menu functionality, but I think just adding that one thing would help the user experience for a number of users quite a bit.

I'm currently having to play from the Folder category to do Artist->Album-> File, which works (because I'm OCD about file organization) but feels rather inelegant.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #7,075 of 9,526
  Nice work on the Hiby update! This is a great player app. 

Would love to see the addition of (Artist + Album) category to the sort menu. I like that Hiby has its current menu functionality, but I think just adding that one thing would help the user experience for a number of users quite a bit.

I'm currently having to play from the Folder category to do Artist->Album-> File, which works (because I'm OCD about file organization) but feels rather inelegant.

The suggestion sounds great. We will take it into consideration and discuss it. Thanks! 
wink_face.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #7,076 of 9,526
  So now I've jumped on this OTG USB audio train I'm wondering who started the ball rolling. I mean it's not as if USB Audio was pushed by any phone manufacturer or carrier. Was it just a feature of Android that somebody stumbled on and thought hey, I'm going to hook this up to a DAC/AMP or was it always known and we were just slow to jump on board being too obsessed with dedicated DAP's and the like??

If it was somebody here on Head.Fi then I would like to buy them a 6 pack.

Many thanks to those here who have joined to support the OTG on Android campaign and to Dan Ba for keeping it all organized and up to date.

Not sure but this person probably had something to do with it as well as all the others who added their names:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #7,077 of 9,526
  Many thanks to those here who have joined to support the OTG on Android campaign and to Dan Ba for keeping it all organized and up to date.

Not sure but this person probably had something to do with it as well as all the others who added their names:

I would also like to echo those thoughts of thanks to the Android OTG Audio brigade.

Outstanding work.

And I have to say it @Hawaiibadboy never going DAP again. Kudos to you also as it was your posts re this that ultimately swayed me to jump on this train. The Rock 'n' Roll Train.

beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #7,078 of 9,526
  I would also like to echo those thoughts of thanks to the Android OTG Audio brigade.

Outstanding work.

And I have to say it @Hawaiibadboy never going DAP again. Kudos to you also as it was your posts re this that ultimately swayed me to jump on this train. The Rock 'n' Roll Train.

beerchug.gif

I just do the visual display stuff...eye candy. It's so sexy it's not fair to compare and if you wanna throw the interactive useablity  aspect out and lean only on the audio...that will fall apart soon.
Hi-Res v.s. Red Book??

Meanwhile...in the real world:

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #7,080 of 9,526
... Around that time someone else (possibly DanBa?) opened an Android improvement tracking request, I wrote a piece for my blog again and then started this thread to try and get people behind the tracking request...

... Not sure but this person probably had something to do with it as well as all the others who added their names:

It is me.

Once again, thank you all for your vote and support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back