Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 11, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #7,051 of 9,526
  I cannot recommend getting 9018D due to multitude of reasons - poor quality soldering and QC overall

Well you just saved me 120 bucks
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #7,052 of 9,526
I'm starting to apprecitate the sound of low-end DAC-equipped devices. Simply because there aren't any problems with the sound. Such DAC chips tend to do most things right and only some things wrong.
My Zoom H2n definitely cannot match the "brightness" of 9018D, but it's flat and musical sounding. There's noise on high volumes, but nothing that would disturb listening experience at all. 9018D on the other hand is harsh and sterile with unsure soundstage.
Audiolab M-DAC sounds great, but that's desktop unit, with 10W consumption on idle and heavy ass AC adaptor.

Maybe I'll just sell my phone (bought it only for DAP use) and get Zoom H5, pair it with JDSLabs O2 and call it a day. Having X/Y mic capsule and optional M/S one in addition to great sounding ADC is awesome bonus. It's also powered on two AA batteries and runtime is over 15 hours. Neat
biggrin.gif

Well you just saved me 120 bucks
beerchug.gif

Look what that newbie asymcon can do.
atsmile.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #7,053 of 9,526
  I'm starting to apprecitate the sound of low-end DAC-equipped devices. Simply because there aren't any problems with the sound. Such DAC chips tend to do most things right and only some things wrong.
My Zoom H2n definitely cannot match the "brightness" of 9018D, but it's flat and musical sounding. There's noise on high volumes, but nothing that would disturb listening experience at all. 9018D on the other hand is harsh and sterile with unsure soundstage.
Audiolab M-DAC sounds great, but that's desktop unit, with 10W consumption on idle and heavy ass AC adaptor.

Maybe I'll just sell my phone (bought it only for DAP use) and get Zoom H5, pair it with JDSLabs O2 and call it a day. Having X/Y mic capsule and optional M/S one in addition to great sounding ADC is awesome bonus. It's also powered on two AA batteries and runtime is over 15 hours. Neat
biggrin.gif

Look what that newbie asymcon can do.
atsmile.gif

beerchug.gif

Best sound I have ever gotten in my life in a portable form.

And now no topbar (unless I want it)

Aug 11, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #7,055 of 9,526
Dunno why I didn't try that before, but I connected my DFs through modded O2 to 9018D and suddenly there's some body to the sound. So it appears the inbuilt MAX97220A amp is struggling on high voltages.
basshead.gif

Too bad now my DAP set just got way more weight (total 0.71kg).

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #7,056 of 9,526
While my right angle mini to micro USB cable hasn't arrived yet, I was able to use one I have on loan to put my Galaxy S4 / Tralucent DacAmp One rig together. I took some shots this afternoon and thought you guys might like to see. Its quite a neat, tidy rig and with the help of a hard snap on case attached to the Dac/Amp I'm able to snap the phone out anytime without hassle. This lets me use the phone as either a stand-alone smartphone or music player in a few seconds.

The case was only a few dollars on ebay. What I've done is heat the sides gently with a hair dryer before attaching the case to the Tralucent DacAmp, by doing this I loosened the grip a little so that the phone just snaps out quite easily. The case is attached with some decent double sided tape which won't come off unless requested.

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #7,057 of 9,526
  While my right angle mini to micro USB cable hasn't arrived yet, I was able to use one I have on loan to put my Galaxy S4 / Tralucent DacAmp One rig together. I took some shots this afternoon and thought you guys might like to see. Its quite a neat, tidy rig and with the help of a hard snap on case attached to the Dac/Amp I'm able to snap the phone out anytime without hassle. This lets me use the phone as either a stand-alone smartphone or music player in a few seconds.

The case was only a few dollars on ebay. What I've done is heat the sides gently with a hair dryer before attaching the case to the Tralucent DacAmp, by doing this I loosened the grip a little so that the phone just snaps out quite easily. The case is attached with some decent double sided tape which won't come off unless requested.

When swimming season finishes I'm gonna steal take some inspiration from you and get McGyver...nice and neatly like that there.
Nice work
beerchug.gif

If you buy a 2nd cover you can just change em depending on the plans that day.

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #7,058 of 9,526

When swimming season finishes I'm gonna steal take some inspiration from you and get McGyver...nice and neatly like that there.
Nice work
beerchug.gif

If you buy a 2nd cover you can just change em depending on the plans that day.

Taking Android rigs too extremes. 
gs1000.gif

That S4 in the photo has been turned into a Dac/Amp slave since tinkering around these past weeks, it never has a sim card inserted. I need to use it sometimes for social media when my other Androids are charging. Plus, I didn't want to have something completely attached/secure 100% of time.

In another news" I have an iBasso DZero MK2 on loan, I can confirm it works with Galaxy S4 no problem, plug n play.

I will test further with UAPP and my Galaxy S3 to confirm if it works..

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #7,059 of 9,526
Dragonfly 1.2 with Note 3 works like a charm. Volume is low with every player and app except UAPP though. WIth UAPP you have to select hardware volume control under options, everything opens up nicely then. Amazing little DAC/Amp, perfect companion to the phone. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #7,060 of 9,526
Samsung Galaxy S3  GT-19305 on Android version 4.3.

Confirmed working 'plug n play' stock music app with iBasso Dzero MK2.

No bugs or glitches after 15-20 minutes listening.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #7,061 of 9,526
So now I've jumped on this OTG USB audio train I'm wondering who started the ball rolling. I mean it's not as if USB Audio was pushed by any phone manufacturer or carrier. Was it just a feature of Android that somebody stumbled on and thought hey, I'm going to hook this up to a DAC/AMP or was it always known and we were just slow to jump on board being too obsessed with dedicated DAP's and the like??

If it was somebody here on Head.Fi then I would like to buy them a 6 pack.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #7,062 of 9,526
  So now I've jumped on this OTG USB audio train I'm wondering who started the ball rolling. I mean it's not as if USB Audio was pushed by any phone manufacturer or carrier. Was it just a feature of Android that somebody stumbled on and thought hey, I'm going to hook this up to a DAC/AMP or was it always known and we were just slow to jump on board being too obsessed with dedicated DAP's and the like??

If it was somebody here on Head.Fi then I would like to buy them a 6 pack.

You owned the X5.
It is a horrific navigational experience coming from an iphone and the Note 4 was better than the iphone

I saw this video what he could do and the huge screen he was doing it on and that was it for me.
Never going DAP again......

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #7,063 of 9,526

You owned the X5.
It is a horrific navigational experience coming from an iphone and the Note 4 was better than the iphone

I saw this video what he could do and the huge screen he was doing it on and that was it for me.
Never going DAP again......

Yeah but wasn't Viper4android designed for a standalone Android device to achieve better audio results with headphones/IEM's out of the Headphone Out much like the voodoo mod??

I'm after the fella that thought let's hook up a DAC/AMP with an OTG cable and see what happens. The bloke that thought, hey, I can use my Android device as a high quality digital transport.

And yes, I had an X5 that I would rather not even think about now. A terrible experience. Don't get me wrong, FIIO is a trend setter and I still have my X3 which when paired with my DN1K's kicks ass. I love the Wolfson sound.

This latest trend is a game changer for me. Ok it's a stack but hey, this is Head.Fi where a stack is the norm.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #7,064 of 9,526
My personal entry was after demoing Cozoy Astrapi, I started putting two and two together (before I even knew this thread existed). I had a brain storm one night about 3am in the morning about how cool it would be if my Tralucent DacAmp One could work with my phone like Astrapi. I connected it and it bloody worked.

I thought it was amazing, then things went from there. It's a great extension to escaping the regular audiophile DAP game and great extension of the hobby in general.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #7,065 of 9,526
  Yeah but wasn't Viper4android designed for a standalone Android device to achieve better audio results with headphones/IEM's out of the Headphone Out much like the voodoo mod??

I'm after the fella that thought let's hook up a DAC/AMP with an OTG cable and see what happens. The bloke that thought, hey, I can use my Android device as a high quality digital transport.

And yes, I had an X5 that I would rather not even think about now. A terrible experience. Don't get me wrong, FIIO is a trend setter and I still have my X3 which when paired with my DN1K's kicks ass. I love the Wolfson sound.

This latest trend is a game changer for me. Ok it's a stack but hey, this is Head.Fi where a stack is the norm.

Perhaps originally but like where the vid is set shows...it controls USB as well

Not sure who the exact person was  but on Head-fi nobody was doing vid comparisons until me...that I am aware of and i do tend to think I'm in the center of the universe and all things revolve around me....so there's that
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back