Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 16, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #7,081 of 9,526

+1

And the Samsung Galaxy S6 with no microSD card slot is removed from the Android USB audio information resources.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6960#post_11779338

I don't think it's fair to remove the Galaxy S6 from the list for this reason. With remote mounting you can have your entire library available on your phone no matter how little storage the device has.

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #7,082 of 9,526
May be, but I have to be fair with me about my list.

I don’t have a single use case, but several use cases depending on circumstances:

. lightweight daily use case (most used):
preferred music files stored on a 128KB microSD card inserted into a Galaxy Note3 > USB Audio Player PRO running on Galaxy Note3 >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

. vacation use case:
music files stored on a portable 2TB USB hard drive connected to a RAVPower RP-WD03 FileHub (portable NAS/USB battery/router/Wi-Fi access point) >> Wi-Fi link >> USB Audio Player PRO running on Galaxy Note3 >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

. music rediscovering use case:
music files stored on a NAS >> LAN Wi-Fi link >> USB Audio Player PRO running on Galaxy Note3 >> USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #7,083 of 9,526
Interesting post on the lack of microSD slot and non-removable battery:
http://phandroid.com/2015/08/13/samsung-galaxy-note-5-s6-edge-plus-micro-sd-card-slot-removable-battery-nope/#comment-2192283174

"It's so frustrating to read comments on this topic around the internet. So many people just don't get it. They have misconceptions about why these features are important. So instead of replying to each confused post in this thread, let's just consolidate all the points:

Response #1: "32GB/64GB/128GB should be more than enough space".

First of all, maybe it's enough space FOR YOU. That doesn't mean it is for the other user. Secondly, maybe what the user needs now will be different from what they need in the future, and this can't always be predicted. How nice it is to be able to install more storage cheaply without having to buy a new phone. And lastly, it's much, MUCH cheaper to get a 64GB phone then a 64GB MicroSD card at market prices than to get a 128GB phone, paying whatever Samsung feels like charging for flash storage.

But lastly, one of the biggest points and benefits of the MicroSD card is NOT that it provides MORE storage, but that it provides REMOVABLE storage that can survive a device failure. Smashed screen? Water damage? Phone just randomly kick the bucket and doesn't turn on any more? All the data you kept backed-up on the SD card is still safe. I do a complete, automatic nightly backup every night to my SD card... and this backup has saved me across multiple smartphones, multiple times per phone, including the most-recent time in February which forced my upgrade to the S5. Each time, I just moved my SD card to the new phone, restored my complete backup, and I was right back where I left off.

Response #2:"Just use the cloud if you need more space"

This is an insulting, ill-informed non-answer. In this age of data caps and significantly LESS than 100% wireless coverage, depending on "the cloud" for your backups or data overflow storage is ridiculous and unreasonable. Not all of us stay confined in a tiny little bubble around an urban oasis. Most of the world is NOT cities, and we spend a significant amount of time with weak or even no wireless service. Should I be unable to access my files, media, data, etc as well as be unable to make my backups every time I have no signal? It's simply not an option. Secondly, with the data caps on all plans you would eat through this quick in no time, especially in the case of full phone backups (how long is YOUR data-capped plan going to survive backing up that 64GB phone?). And finally, "cloud" storage is EXPENSIVE. A few places will give you maybe 5GB free, but if you want more than that then you pay through the nose PER YEAR. My 64GB MicroSD card was a one-time cost and is accessible regardless of wireless coverage.

Response #3: "The battery lasts plenty long enough"

For YOU perhaps. Good for you, nice to hear you're one of those light phone users. Those of us who are heavy users don't have the same experience (and if you say that you're a "heavy" user and it lasts a whole day, then actually, no, you're NOT a heavy user). In a typical heavy-use day for me, my phone is dead well before 5pm. If it's a REALLY heavy and long day for ME, I might even need to swap in a THIRD battery before I ultimately go to bed in the evening. And if I'm away from charging sources for a long time, those spare batteries come in real handy.

But also... it's not just about not being able to last through the day. It's also about the fact that batteries wear down over time. In about 2 years, your lithium-ion battery holds a fraction of the original "full" charge it did when new. Or perhaps it has been exhausted entirely. Why be forced into replacing an otherwise perfectly-good phone for the sake of a $10 battery that should be user-replaceable? This anti-consumer planned obsolescence is why I went with Android instead of iPhone in the first place. Now Samsung seems to think it's cool to screw over users like Apple does.

Response #4: "Just carry an external battery pack"

That's just ridiculous. I don't want to be tethered to a huge lithium brick any more than I want to be tethered to a wall outlet. Compare that with just quickly swapping in a fresh, charged battery then getting on with my day without any wires. It's not a reasonable alternative and does not allow one to continue to be functional.

Response #5: "Samsung couldn't make a thin/premium phone and still have a removable battery and/or MicroSD slot"

This has been proven wrong over and over and over, not only by other phone manufacturers but Samsung themselves. The S5 was only 8.1mm thick and had both a removable battery AND a MicroSD card slot. Hell, the Samsung Captivate had a REMOVABLE metal back. Anyone who really cares that the S6 is a "whopping" 1.3mm thinner than the S5 is just an OCD thickness chaser. We've long ago crossed the threshold where "thinner" doesn't make the phone "better"... it makes it more delicate and less able to hold reasonable internals and features. Besides, Samsung is a huge, talented company with massive resources... if anyone could figure it out, they could. Their line about not being "able" to while still providing thinness or premium is just a marketing excuse that unfortunately far too many Samsung-apologist fanboys just lap up without question.

Response #6 "SD Cards are slow"

Answer: don't buy crap SD cards. There are plenty of fast MicroSD cards out there, including the ones I buy. Are they AS fast as internal storage? No. Does it matter? No, things still load up wicked fast. Is it worth it for the safe, removable, expandable storage (see the last part of #1 above)? Hell yes. Stop chasing meaningless speed specs like some OCD junkie and instead look at the benefits granted by this feature.

And finally, and perhaps most-important of all: If for YOU a removable battery and MicroSD slot are of no use, then no one is making you use them when they're present on your phone. You didn't use them on your previous phones? Fantastic for you, you got on just fine. Meanwhile, the option WAS there for all those people for whom these features WERE CRITICAL. But with the features gone in the S6, now those users are stuck without the option..."

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #7,084 of 9,526
@DanBa Great post. IMO Samsung took a big step in the wrong direction with the S6. I'm not in any rush to upgrade my S4.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #7,085 of 9,526
The Note 5 is not looking good for me. What were they thinking? A removeable battery and MicroSD card were major attractions to the device. Looks like my Note 3 is looking to last longer than I expected.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #7,086 of 9,526
  The Note 5 is not looking good for me. What were they thinking? A removeable battery and MicroSD card were major attractions to the device. Looks like my Note 3 is looking to last longer than I expected.

Yes, this.

To be honest I have a NAS I can access from anywhere, so I could have begrudgingly lived without local storage if the remainder of the package was strong enough... but then they went and sealed the battery, and again, if the battery had been a large enough capacity I could have begrudgingly gone along with that too if the rest was good enough... but then they went and put in a 3000mA battery, and I said **** you Samsung.

My eyes are on the rumoured G4 Pro now.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #7,087 of 9,526
Yes I understand that the lack of microSD slot is a deal breaker for many, especially audiophiles, but this thread is for usb dac compatibility. Therefore I think all phones should be considered, no matter their downfalls. There will be that small user base that still uses the Galaxy S6 or the new Note 5 and probably streams all their music. So I think for the sake of that small user base that uses the GS6 for audiophile playback (me included), it is still worth updating the list.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #7,088 of 9,526
@DanBa Great post. IMO Samsung took a big step in the wrong direction with the S6. I'm not in any rush to upgrade my S4.

Samsung is going to Apple style whith this no microSD card and no removable battery, which is $$$ on my S4 too. My S4 runs with 256 GB SD card (micro SD to SD converter) and a big Anker S4 7800 mAh battery and works nice paired with a decent USB DAC/AMP.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #7,089 of 9,526
  Yes I understand that the lack of microSD slot is a deal breaker for many, especially audiophiles, but this thread is for usb dac compatibility. Therefore I think all phones should be considered, no matter their downfalls. There will be that small user base that still uses the Galaxy S6 or the new Note 5 and probably streams all their music. So I think for the sake of that small user base that uses the GS6 for audiophile playback (me included), it is still worth updating the list.

I think you are right. Not everyone needs to, or feels compelled to, carry around a huge selection, or even their whole collection, of music.

On the other hand, DanBa's comments on no-sd-card and no-removable-battery are all spot on. My Xiaomi M4i (Americans may not have heard of Xiami yet: you will) falls in this category. I'm not an on-contract updater, or a regular buyer of a new phone, and it does piss me off that a dead battery is going to be the reason to throw this phone away in a couple of years. It was cheap: but not that cheap.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #7,090 of 9,526

The Galaxy S6 was included in the list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with compatible USB DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/7035#post_11822387

A list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with compatible USB DAC:
stock Android device > digital USB audio out >> USB DAC >> amp >> headphones
http://goo.gl/ksoF0d
Samsung Galaxy S6 (smartphone):
http://www.engadget.com/products/samsung/galaxy/s6/
http://gavinsgadgets.com/2015/04/27/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-the-review/

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #7,092 of 9,526
  Am I missing something? I don't see the Galaxy S6 in those lists. 

The Galaxy S6 is included in the list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with compatible USB DAC.

Am I missing something? I don't see the Galaxy S6 in those lists. Didn't you say you will remove it?

"Old" lists of USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered Samsung Galaxy S3/Note2/S4/Note3/S5/Note4/S6:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6885#post_11749999

"Current" lists of USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered Samsung Galaxy S3/Note2/S4/Note3/S5/Note4 having a microSD card slot (and removable battery):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/7035#post_11822387
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #7,094 of 9,526
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
Far too much of a hit and miss element regarding Samsung phones and USB DACs. I think I'll just buy a ZX2 instead.

Hehe ZX2 all the way for me!!!!

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #7,095 of 9,526
To be honest I'd prefer to have a small device that could be hooked up to my phone in order to stream music, but I can't be bothered with the lottery and complications involved with finding something that actually works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back