Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3,496 of 9,526
I have a Japan-only Samsung Galaxy J SC-02F. This was initially slated to be the updated LTE-A version of Galaxy S4 but it's really more a mini-Note 3 - same 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800, 3GB RAM (so not exactly the I9506 either which has 2GB only), but in a 5.0" screen.

Anyway, this Samsung Galaxy J SC-02F runs Android 4.3 and works with the V-Moda VAmp Verza with a standard micro-2-micro just like the Galaxy S3 did. I therefore assume that it'll work with the VentureCraft Go-DAP X too.

As I don't have an OTG cable, I don't know if it'll work with USB DACs, it hasn't worked with my Leckerton UHA-6 Mk2 yet.

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #3,497 of 9,526
Many of you have propably heard of the new Motorola Moto G, which seems to be some seriously good value for money.

This is the phone: http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-5831.php
And this is what makes it interesting
wink.gif
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2540948&nocache=1

Seems like it's totally working with UARP and even (somewhat) working without UARP. Maybe someone here has an idea about what causes the issues?

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #3,498 of 9,526
  Anyone on Kitkat 4.4? I heard that's the only ROM officially supporting USB audio.

Wasn't that an optimistic interpretation of the code in an intercepted early build?

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #3,499 of 9,526
A report of someone who got their USB DAC to work natively with the Nexus 5 using CM11:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47830661#post47830661

Just installed cm11. Audio playing out of my hifimediy sabre tiny DAC. Only major issue is there's no volume control so its either on or off. Never used an external DAC on a phone before so don't know if this is normal behavior or not but will be going back for now. Shame cause i was really digging the sound quality. A few other bugs I found like restarting with DAC plugged in resulted in no sound at all and unplugging it resulted in no sound once as well. 
Also tried stock with Franco r12 and r14 no go either.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #3,500 of 9,526
Pretty cool hybrid silver/copper OTG cable with right-angled micro USB connectors for 130 RMB / 22 bucks plus (international) shipping

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36058796144

IQTjO4Nl.jpg

nwPS9U0l.jpg

This is excatly what I am looking for at a longer length.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3,502 of 9,526
  This is great news. Can't wait for CM11. The Nexus 5 audio is just awful out-of-the-box, coming from an iPhone 4S that I was totally satisfied with.

Really? The Nexus 5 DAC is awesome, since it is based of the LG G2's. It should technically be able to do 24bit 192khz at some point. It just has low gain (which can be addressed with the "fauxsound" app.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #3,503 of 9,526
  Really? The Nexus 5 DAC is awesome, since it is based of the LG G2's. It should technically be able to do 24bit 192khz at some point. It just has low gain (which can be addressed with the "fauxsound" app.

I'm using franco.Kernel to boost the gain on the headphone output, so I'm getting decent volume now. I just think it sounds very harsh, sibilant, and compressed compared to the sound on my iPhone 4S, which was smooth and transparent. I'm getting fatigue after an hour or less. I'm using Alessandro MS-2s and Spotify on extreme quality.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3,504 of 9,526

I'm using franco.Kernel to boost the gain on the headphone output, so I'm getting decent volume now. I just think it sounds very harsh, sibilant, and compressed compared to the sound on my iPhone 4S, which was smooth and transparent. I'm getting fatigue after an hour or less. I'm using Alessandro MS-2s and Spotify on extreme quality.

That isn't my experience at all. Stock Play Music App? I've had good success on poweramp and neutron, but Play Music skips on Hi res FLAC files.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #3,505 of 9,526
  That isn't my experience at all. Stock Play Music App? I've had good success on poweramp and neutron, but Play Music skips on Hi res FLAC files.

I have only used Spotify so far but I will try Play Music and see if it's any better. Is the Spotify Android app known to have any quality issues? I found the "extreme" quality level adequate for my needs in iOS.

I would like to avoid managing local files and rely on a streaming service (minus some backup music for the car).

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #3,506 of 9,526

I have only used Spotify so far but I will try Play Music and see if it's any better. Is the Spotify Android app known to have any quality issues? I found the "extreme" quality level adequate for my needs in iOS.

I would like to avoid managing local files and rely on a streaming service (minus some backup music for the car).

Spotify might not be updated to take advantage of the DSP chip in the nexus yet, Try Pandora, Play Music, Poweramp.. etc, and see if they all sound bad.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3,509 of 9,526
  This is great news. Can't wait for CM11. The Nexus 5 audio is just awful out-of-the-box, coming from an iPhone 4S that I was totally satisfied with.

Sounds like you already have a custom rom and kernel on your Nexus 5.  Why not give it a go with CM11 now?

Here's the link to the version that user on xda used for USB Audio.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/s8y4qnzqj2ywi91/cm-11-20131124-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead.zip

I'm gonna do it soon, but I need to backup my phone then unlock bootloader, etc.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #3,510 of 9,526

Sounds like you already have a custom rom and kernel on your Nexus 5.  Why not give it a go with CM11 now?

Here's the link to the version that user on xda used for USB Audio.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/s8y4qnzqj2ywi91/cm-11-20131124-UNOFFICIAL-hammerhead.zip

I'm gonna do it soon, but I need to backup my phone then unlock bootloader, etc.

CM11 isn't even in alpha nightly stages yet. I wouldn't suggest flashing it until official nightlies start coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back