Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 16, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #3,466 of 9,526
If you are sick of the lack of full native USB Audio support in Android, please flood them with requests about it.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

Click new issue and enter the issue.  Under template, choose "Feature Request" because, as I learned first hand, they simply close the request to fix this if you select bug/defect.

Thanks and maybe this will help shake something out!

We did this with jellybean and Google either didn't understand what the hell we wanted or they just don't care.

I see no reason this cannot be enabled I mean most of the DACs don't require a driver! I also see no reason why a developr cannot enable it and get rid of the resampling android does also but noooooo.... No one seems to be able to do it. Again why this is I cannot even begin to understand. There must be some unforseen restriction stopping it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #3,467 of 9,526
I confirmed HRT Music Streamer II+ operation with Galaxy Note II with OTG cable only (no additional power required.)
With various music players, 44.1k indicator is lit on the HRT Music Streamer II+ when either 44.1k or 96k content is played.
With UARP, 96k indicator is lit on the HRT Music Streamer II+ when playing 96k content.
Current draw is 0.37A @ 4.9V as measured by the CHARGER Doctor.

I confirmed that HTC One cannot power HRT Music Streamer II+.  The maximum current that the HTC One provided to the HRT Music Streamer II+ was 0.30A, which suggests that the HTC One may be designed to allocate 3 unit loads for USB OTG operation (100mA per unit load.)  Using a USB Y-cable with the OTG cable for extra power allowed the HTC One to work with the HRT Music Streamer II+.

I believe that the Galaxy Note II can allocate 4 or more unit loads.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #3,469 of 9,526
So I've tried updating my Android from 4.1.2 to 4.2, and 4.3 on my Galaxy S3 I9300 , and now my usb audio doesn't work anymore except when using usb audio recorder pro. This app sucks for music playback. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #3,470 of 9,526
It has been bugging me that I couldn't find the following information on the internet, so I decided to acquire the info when I found out about the CHARGER Doctor that I found on e-Bay.  I tested using a USB 2.0 hub that was connected to USB OTG to the smartphone and continued plugging more stuff in until the current peaked out.  I found that charging a smartphone put a 0.45A load on the Note II and Note III, so I added more stuff until the measured current stopped increasing.

Galaxy Note II smartphone provides 500mA of current on the USB OTG connection. 

Galaxy Note III smartphone provides 900mA of current on the USB OTG connection.  Also, I confirmed that the stock music player played at 96k per the indicator on the Music Streamer II+ when playing 96k content, so UARP wouldn't be required for high-resolution playback.

HTC One smartphone provides 300mA of current on the USB OTG connection.

For some reason, I tried two different USB 3.0 OTG cables, and neither one initiated a USB 3.0 connection with the Western Digital My Passport external hard drive.  The drive copied at USB 2.0 speeds as confirmed by FX File Manager when performing a file transfer. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #3,471 of 9,526
  It has been bugging me that I couldn't find the following information on the internet, so I decided to acquire the info when I found out about the CHARGER Doctor that I found on e-Bay.  I tested using a USB 2.0 hub that was connected to USB OTG to the smartphone and continued plugging more stuff in until the current peaked out.  I found that charging a smartphone put a 0.45A load on the Note II and Note III, so I added more stuff until the measured current stopped increasing.

Galaxy Note II smartphone provides 500mA of current on the USB OTG connection. 

Galaxy Note III smartphone provides 900mA of current on the USB OTG connection.  Also, I confirmed that the stock music player played at 96k per the indicator on the Music Streamer II+ when playing 96k content, so UARP wouldn't be required for high-resolution playback.

HTC One smartphone provides 300mA of current on the USB OTG connection.

For some reason, I tried two different USB 3.0 OTG cables, and neither one initiated a USB 3.0 connection with the Western Digital My Passport external hard drive.  The drive copied at USB 2.0 speeds as confirmed by FX File Manager when performing a file transfer. 

Great info indeed .

Thank you

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3,472 of 9,526
  So I've tried updating my Android from 4.1.2 to 4.2, and 4.3 on my Galaxy S3 I9300 , and now my usb audio doesn't work anymore except when using usb audio recorder pro. This app sucks for music playback. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have had a similar problem over the last month. I had a Droid Razor HD running 4.1.2 and had no problem with running music through the USB audio recorder Pro app (would not work without it). My phone died so I tried a Galaxy S4 running 4.2.2 and could not get the app to play more than one song in a row. That phone developed a series of problems so I am not sure the issue was with the 4.2.2. I replaced that phone a few days ago with a Sony Xperia Z. It is loaded with 4.1.2 again and seems to work with USB AR Pro but I also seem to have a cable problem with a new one on order so, before I can say all is well, I need to get that new cable.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3,474 of 9,526
JDS Labs C5D headphone amp+DAC & Android USB audio:
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=722

"C5D works with every Android device we’ve tested under USB Audio Recorder Pro. We met a few Android users at the 2013 CanJam who successfully used C5D natively (i.e., with any app). Some Android phones and tablets output UAC1 natively. Others require special ROMs or apps....
The good news: C5D is self-powered, so its power consumption is not a limitation..."

JDS Labs C5D - Android Compatibility: Samsung Galaxy S3/Note2/S4/Note3, LG G2
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKMthb_-pwCdGFYZTZ2bUd5bmNrMXc1NTlEaXVLWVE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #3,476 of 9,526
Did anyone notice strange playback problems with UARP after one of the recent updates?

The folder playback works very inconsistently, and I cannot identify any pattern or regularity. I. e. I open a folder in Play List tab, select the first file (FLAC is what I usually have), the playback starts, and stops after the first song - I have to tap "next song" etc. Another time I'd do the same - and the entire folder would playback correctly.

Any ideas?

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #3,477 of 9,526
  Did anyone notice strange playback problems with UARP after one of the recent updates?

The folder playback works very inconsistently, and I cannot identify any pattern or regularity. I. e. I open a folder in Play List tab, select the first file (FLAC is what I usually have), the playback starts, and stops after the first song - I have to tap "next song" etc. Another time I'd do the same - and the entire folder would playback correctly.

Any ideas?

We have a version with more debugging information to find the cause of that problem. Please contact me by email if you want to try it out (info AT audio-evolution.com).

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #3,478 of 9,526
  So happy I could cry again!!!

I was going to play with custom roms over the weekend and I had the thought that since I had success with a Cyanogenmod Rom 10.2 (Android 4.3) on the Nexus 10, maybe I could have success with a CM 10.2 ROM on my T-Mobile Note 2 (SGH-T889).

I slapped this rom on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2426051, which has all the features of CM 10.2 and right out of the box I have FULL USB Audio Support.  Plugged in my Fiio E07k and I used it with several music players and I am ECSTATIC!!!!!  The UI is not so appealing to me (I'm one of those people who likes TouchWiz, especially the customization to it by an XDA dev, Jedi), but who cares because MY. PHONE. HAS. FULL. USB. AUDIO. SUPPORT.  As long as other things I need work (and they seem to), I am beyond happy!!!!!

If you are like me and enjoy playing with custom ROMs (especially if you want this full USB Audio Support on your phone with no using USB Audio Recorder Pro), I would suggest you try a Cyanogenmod 10.2 ROM (or some modification of it) on your phone.  It was just a blind shot based on my experienced with the Nexus 10.  Was fully ready to flash another ROM/Kernel that I know didn't work and just accept that my Note 2 wouldn't have native and full USB audio support.  But Christmas came on Friday the 13th and I'm taking it and running!

Now I just need to get a bigger SD card LOL

I have a Sprint Galaxy S4 and can also confirm that custom CM ROMs will give me full USB audio support w/o UARP.  I can't get the same w/ custom 4.3 Touchwiz ROMs though. I wonder if this is a kernel issue? Is there something we need to modify in Touchwiz custom rom for it to work? I tried installing the DSP Manager, in a Touchwiz custom ROM but that didn't make any difference.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3,480 of 9,526
Pretty cool hybrid silver/copper OTG cable with right-angled micro USB connectors for 130 RMB / 22 bucks plus (international) shipping

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36058796144

Have you tried them, and do they cause any issues? There was a couple of threads a couple or so years ago where $$$$$, "custom" USB cables (ie, the conductors were braided by the cable maker) introduced noise and the most likely culprit was that the twisting and the jacket did not conform to USB standards. Interestingly I never heard any such issues with iDevice DACs using a similarly constructed Dock to USB-A cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back