Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 30, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,562 of 9,526
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Based on what you said maybe the Go DAP X would be better as it's officially compatible with the S3. Not sure how the sound quality would be on the Go DAP X though. Does the Pico draw power from the S3 when plugged in?

I read somewhere that android phones can only output 16 bit 44khz audio - can anyone confirm this as true? If that's the case I guess a DAP would provide overall better sound quality with higher resolution files.

The Pico is officially compatible, I mean Justin from HeadAmp has already announced it as such in this thread. I think waiting a day or two for user confirmation is also a good idea too is all (I'm the only person to have sent mine back for the fix as far as I'm aware). The Pico will draw some power from the S3.

Yes, 16-bit limitation is correct (although the app USB Audio Recorder can output 24-bit, it isn't a music player app as such, so for the present not a good solution - hopefully soon Neutron will be able to interwork with that app so that you can take advantage of USB Audio Recorder while having an actual music player to use it through). No idea if there will really be a difference in SQ, FWIW, since nobody in the sound science thread believes in the merits of 24-bit files in any case (lets not hijack the thread with that debate though, suffice to say if you are a believer it might be best to wait until the Neutron update to work with USB Audio Recorder comes along, or just get a 24-bit capable DAP).

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #1,563 of 9,526
Quote:

The Pico is officially compatible, I mean Justin from HeadAmp has already announced it as such in this thread. I think waiting a day or two for user confirmation is also a good idea too is all (I'm the only person to have sent mine back for the fix as far as I'm aware). The Pico will draw some power from the S3.

Yes, 16-bit limitation is correct (although the app USB Audio Recorder can output 24-bit, it isn't a music player app as such, so for the present not a good solution - hopefully soon Neutron will be able to interwork with that app so that you can take advantage of USB Audio Recorder while having an actual music player to use it through). No idea if there will really be a difference in SQ, FWIW, since nobody in the sound science thread believes in the merits of 24-bit files in any case (lets not hijack the thread with that debate though, suffice to say if you are a believer it might be best to wait until the Neutron update to work with USB Audio Recorder comes along, or just get a 24-bit capable DAP).

I'm a bit of a noob with the audio quality. What about if an audio file has a higher khz rating e.g. 96khz? Does that imply better sound quality?

I'm just a bit torn between purchasing a usb amp/dac for my S3 or a standalone DAP as I can't seem to find any comparisons in sound quality (and if there is even a significant difference). If I'm putting down $500 I want sound quality better than my current configuration of S3 with neutron player using FiiO E17 as an amp through the headphone out.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,564 of 9,526
A comparison: iBasso DX100 + JH16 against Galaxy Note2 + Apex Glacier + JH16:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/165#post_8924724

"Even with my DX100 , I did not get such clarity and sound-stage.
I am happier with this setup, than the DX100, alas, no 96/24 capability (android limitation...for now)
Neutron with the Glacier, are giving me the chills............................ "

But does the Apex Glacier match up your Denon D5000 headphones?

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #1,565 of 9,526
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Based on what you said maybe the Go DAP X would be better as it's officially compatible with the S3. Not sure how the sound quality would be on the Go DAP X though. Does the Pico draw power from the S3 when plugged in?

I read somewhere that android phones can only output 16 bit 44khz audio - can anyone confirm this as true? If that's the case I guess a DAP would provide overall better sound quality with higher resolution files.

Bad idea. I have tried the VAMP (custom Go-DAP 4 and 95% Go-Dap X)  and its too coloured for the Denons. And btw the Denons are not even remotely portable, they fall off, leak sound, and are big. SO I really wouldn't - but it does suit the AKG K242HD and the V-moda M100 extremely well. 
Quote:
I'm a bit of a noob with the audio quality. What about if an audio file has a higher khz rating e.g. 96khz? Does that imply better sound quality?

I'm just a bit torn between purchasing a usb amp/dac for my S3 or a standalone DAP as I can't seem to find any comparisons in sound quality (and if there is even a significant difference). If I'm putting down $500 I want sound quality better than my current configuration of S3 with neutron player using FiiO E17 as an amp through the headphone out.

No, sonically your ears are only capable of hearing the info stored in a 48kHz 16bit file. The thing is SACD's are better mastered then normal CD's and when dipsticks are the ones that do the resampling from studio recordings they do **** it up every now and then and lose details. 
this explains it

Quote:
A comparison: iBasso DX100 + JH16 against Galaxy Note2 + Apex Glacier + JH16:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/165#post_8924724

"Even with my DX100 , I did not get such clarity and sound-stage.
I am happier with this setup, than the DX100, alas, no 96/24 capability (android limitation...for now)
Neutron with the Glacier, are giving me the chills............................ "

But does the Apex Glacier match up your Denon D5000 headphones?

Well simple to answer:
Does it have low (2 ohm max) output impedance?
Does it deliver a lot of current into low impedances?
Is it uncoloured/neutral?
Does it have smooth Highs?

if yes to all the above - then yes, yes it will.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #1,566 of 9,526
Quote:
Bad idea. I have tried the VAMP (custom Go-DAP 4 and 95% Go-Dap X)  and its too coloured for the Denons. And btw the Denons are not even remotely portable, they fall off, leak sound, and are big. SO I really wouldn't - but it does suit the AKG K242HD and the V-moda M100 extremely well. 

What do you mean by too coloured? Which Go DAP X did you use (Red or Black)? I want a really warm, rich full bodied, articulate sound. I thought the Denons would go well with the Black Go DAP X based on what I've read about the Go DAP X's sound signature and the Denon D5000's.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #1,567 of 9,526
This may not be the best place for this since it's not exactly portable but I know at least some of us have been lurking in this thread trying to find a good back and forth between work and home set up.  Belkin is fixing to release an NFC/Bluetooth "hd" audio station: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-G3A2000  I don't know a whole lot about Bluetooth audio but assuming both your device and this station support the lossless bluetooth audio (I think it's called apt-x) you should be able to get good quality from the s/pdif ports on this.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,568 of 9,526
This may not be the best place for this since it's not exactly portable but I know at least some of us have been lurking in this thread trying to find a good back and forth between work and home set up.  Belkin is fixing to release an NFC/Bluetooth "hd" audio station: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-G3A2000
  I don't know a whole lot about Bluetooth audio but assuming both your device and this station support the lossless bluetooth audio (I think it's called apt-x) you should be able to get good quality from the s/pdif ports on this.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

I have the Belkin unit. I've never plugged it into my primary setup, as I use to to stream music from my S3 to my bedroom system while I fall asleep. It sounds perfectly fine for my purposes, but I can't speak to its quality as a high-end source. I will say the NFC pairing is useful if you have multiple Bluetooth devices you pair with, but since you have to download an app for the NFC pairing to work, I don't think it would be that useful if it was your only Bluetooth device.

Also, I believe apt-x is limited to standard 16/44 resolution, so it merely avoids any downconversion of the music from standard A2DP streaming. If you are looking for a high-end solution that accepts Bluetooth streaming, Chord has some well-regarded gear, although I haven't personally heard one.

Hope this helps!

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #1,569 of 9,526
That certainly helps! This would be for work (I leave my headroom micro stack here so I really just need a source to carry back and forth) so 16/44 would be plenty for me.  Does the NFC app work with any music player?

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,570 of 9,526
Quote:
That certainly helps! This would be for work (I leave my headroom micro stack here so I really just need a source to carry back and forth) so 16/44 would be plenty for me.  Does the NFC app work with any music player?

Yeah, I didn't really understand the whole NFC thing until I had this. NFC actually only does one thing in this instance: it pairs the Belkin with your phone via Bluetooth. That's it. So in my case, for example, I have a little portable Bluetooth speaker I use to listen to the news while I'm getting ready in the morning and then the Belkin into my bedroom system at night. Because I have an NFC compatible device and the BT Belkin app, all I have to do is put the back of my phone up to the Belkin itself and it automatically pairs (no entering pairing codes or anything).

Even if you don't have an NFC phone, the Belkin works just fine, you just pair it normally like any other Bluetooth peripheral. At that point, any music player you want will be able to stream over the Bluetooth connection. I've personally used Neutron, MOG, and Pandora, but pretty much anything should work. 

Hope this helps! It's a great little toy, but it seems like Bluetooth really isn't ready for audiophile primetime just yet (the aforementioned Chord may be an exception, I'm not certain). It's been great for my little second setup though. And as an added bonus, I set an alarm on my phone every night, and the alarm tone plays across the stereo as well as the phone, which is pretty useful considering I sleep deeply enough to be legally dead in most countries. 

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer whatever I can. PM me (so we don't take this too far OT) if you think of anything else. (I was about the recommend checking out the Logitech Bluetooth adapter too considering they have considerably better audio quality credentials than Belkin, but it looks like its $80-90 on Amazon, and I thought I recalled it being around $40, so scratch that). 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,571 of 9,526
I have a quick question for everyone here:
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus (toro) running 4.2.1. I was able to get the E07k to work with it, but only through USB audio recorder pro. Is there any alternative way to play audio through the USB out on the Gnex, such as a kernel or tweak that will enable USB audio out for the whole system?
Here's a pic of the current setup:

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,572 of 9,526
Quote:
This may not be the best place for this since it's not exactly portable but I know at least some of us have been lurking in this thread trying to find a good back and forth between work and home set up.  Belkin is fixing to release an NFC/Bluetooth "hd" audio station: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-G3A2000  I don't know a whole lot about Bluetooth audio but assuming both your device and this station support the lossless bluetooth audio (I think it's called apt-x) you should be able to get good quality from the s/pdif ports on this.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

I can't find anywhere that it supports APT-X.
But here are a couple suggestions if that is what you want.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2116107

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,573 of 9,526
Has anyone been able to get the USB digital out to work on the Samsung Galaxy SII T-Mobile version (SGH-T989)? 

The only info I could find is someone who reported it not working with Cyanogen7 last year. 

Now that Cyanogen10 is out, anyone know if it works with that? 

What about when official Jellybean is released for the T989?  Isn't Jellybean supposed to have digital out support? 

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #1,574 of 9,526
Quote:

I can't find anywhere that it supports APT-X.
But here are a couple suggestions if that is what you want.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2116107

Good call. I scoured the package and website when I got it and never found confirmation one way or another. My assumption is that since 'HD Music' seems to be the marketing term for the apt-x profile, it would stand to reason that this sucker has it. But I have absolutely no actual evidence that this is the case. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #1,575 of 9,526
Quote:
Has anyone been able to get the USB digital out to work on the Samsung Galaxy SII T-Mobile version (SGH-T989)? 

The only info I could find is someone who reported it not working with Cyanogen7 last year. 

Now that Cyanogen10 is out, anyone know if it works with that? 

What about when official Jellybean is released for the T989?  Isn't Jellybean supposed to have digital out support? 

they removed USB in CM10 **** knows why.

And sort of, but heck since google isn't even enforcing Usb OTG in there new Nexus 4 then I highly doubt any other manufacturer will bother with USB audio (which needs that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back