Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 5, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #3,661 of 3,813
Hi GermanGuy, thank you for your reply. I have the Detent Volume Pot, I am not sure if my unit includes the stepped potentiometer. Sorry I am not technical savvy. I will try and fix the problem the way you suggested. Thanks again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3,662 of 3,813
Can anyone tell me if the A2P TU-05 runs the Audeze LCD collection headphones?

I asked Kageyuki Shikada and he was helpful in telling me that the TU-05 was the flagship model, but wasn't all that powerful. He said that if I wanted power, that the TUR-06 is more suitable... However he said that he would recommend the TU-05 over the TUR-06... 

What do you guys think? Not sure what to do now...

He also told me that he has a separate DAC unit in development... for prototype announcement this year
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #3,663 of 3,813
  Can anyone tell me if the A2P TU-05 runs the Audeze LCD collection headphones?

I asked Kageyuki Shikada and he was helpful in telling me that the TU-05 was the flagship model, but wasn't all that powerful. He said that if I wanted power, that the TUR-06 is more suitable... However he said that he would recommend the TU-05 over the TUR-06... 

What do you guys think? Not sure what to do now...

He also told me that he has a separate DAC unit in development... for prototype announcement this year
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sadly I didn't get to try when I had both the TU-05 & TUR-06 demo units. I therefore can't say if it'll drive the Audeze headphones. If I have time one day I may bring my TUR-06 to the shops to see if it drives the Audeze.

I can see why Shikada-san recommends the TU-05 as that's more of a pure tube amp (Class A if I'm not mistaken? I need to read back my reviews), but the TUR-06 is more a hybrid.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #3,664 of 3,813

Sadly I didn't get to try when I had both the TU-05 & TUR-06 demo units. I therefore can't say if it'll drive the Audeze headphones. If I have time one day I may bring my TUR-06 to the shops to see if it drives the Audeze.

I can see why Shikada-san recommends the TU-05 as that's more of a pure tube amp (Class A if I'm not mistaken? I need to read back my reviews), but the TUR-06 is more a hybrid.

Yeah he sounded sceptical about the TU-05 driving them to loud volumes... But it didn't sound like he knew for certain. I'd prefer the TU-05, so I might just have to wait for someone's impressions (If you ever go to a shop with them let me know!)

He said "if it's volume you want, go with the TUR-06"... but TU-05 sounds like it's the one to grab.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #3,665 of 3,813
Hi Ben.
I have the LCD2's and TU05 and whilst the amp will drive them I personally would not recommend them as a match going by my experience.

The sweet nature of the sound is lost for some reason when using the Audeze's. I think they need mor reserves of power to drive them truly well than the 05 has.

Having said that I have not tried the more efficient models in Audeze's range.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #3,666 of 3,813
Thanks for your thoughts Ian! I have just put a deposit on an LCD-XC instead of a 3 (the continuous driver failure saga scared me off), so I believe this might be a better pairing with the TU05 anyhow
L3000.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #3,667 of 3,813
Good choice Ben and I look forward to your thoughts on the pairing.

Now you can have some fun reading through the thread and figure out some tubes to experiment with fine tuning the sound! Thankfully these are old radio tubes so not stratosphere pricing!

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #3,668 of 3,813
I had the TR-07 for a while now, at start I was not please on what I had in my hands, I ended up buying some other stuff and almost forgot about it till last month. Now that has changed alot. 

To me the bass decay of the TR-07 is the most noticeable thing about it. It is my favourite think about this amp and what it does in this particular thing no other amp of mine does it. 

I will try to explain later on what I mean about it, I just have to make sure on what I am hearing as I have just been using this for the last 4 weeks and I simply did not do enough A/B to pin-point it.

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #3,669 of 3,813
Hi Ben.
I have the LCD2's and TU05 and whilst the amp will drive them I personally would not recommend them as a match going by my experience.

The sweet nature of the sound is lost for some reason when using the Audeze's. I think they need mor reserves of power to drive them truly well than the 05 has.

Having said that I have not tried the more efficient models in Audeze's range.

Thx, helpful for us to know about the TU05's ability to drive (or not drive, rather) the LCD2s.

I crunched some numbers for the prices: the all-tube TU05s run a few hundred dollars more than both the TU06 and the TU07.

However, the TU07/ have the SIT (Static Induction Transistors) which purportedly mimic the tube sound.
Anyone have the chance to hear the TU07?

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #3,670 of 3,813
I had the TR-07 for a while now, at start I was not please on what I had in my hands, I ended up buying some other stuff and almost forgot about it till last month. Now that has changed alot. 

To me the bass decay of the TR-07 is the most noticeable thing about it. It is my favourite think about this amp and what it does in this particular thing no other amp of mine does it. 

I will try to explain later on what I mean about it, I just have to make sure on what I am hearing as I have just been using this for the last 4 weeks and I simply did not do enough A/B to pin-point it.

Would love to hear your impressions of the TU07!
And could you clarify the type of bass decay you mentioned above.
Eg: fast decay? Slow? Sound quality of the decay?

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #3,671 of 3,813
Would love to hear your impressions of the TU07!
And could you clarify the type of bass decay you mentioned above.
Eg: fast decay? Slow? Sound quality of the decay?

Please note this is not a powerful amp, you require patience to find the right working pair  (like most things).

The bass decay is slow and clean, punchy. Compared to my 627x which has a faster decay I find it much more natural as 627x thick midrange can ruin it for me at time.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3,672 of 3,813
I sent an email to Shikada-son inquiring what he means by thr "hybrid" nature of he TU07, below is his response, including plans for a v2 of the TU07 upgraded power unit for more power

Mr. Gary Graber,

Thank you for message and interesting in my works.

07hp first stage is SIT Single-ended (Class A),

Drive stage is the push-pull of the bipolar transistors (class A).

S-I-Transistors and bipolar transistors, I say there 'hybrid'.

SIT is a harmonic rich transistor as the vacuum tube,

And can be used the same operating a vacuum tube.

(07hp is the same structure as the TUR-06)

The following is the power supply configuration.

SIT are driven snap battery 9V (8.4V) directly

Power driver stage, which is the separation of ± 5V or ± 9V

I will announce The TR-07hp Ver. 2.0 this week end.

The power is separated, and enhanced.

Sorry I do not plan to go to the US show.

This is because it is produced by myself.

Thank you.

Best Wishes.

A2P Kageyuki Shikada.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #3,673 of 3,813
Have not posted much of late mainly due to me having my perfect set up now and I'm just enjoying the music!

Last night was one of those magical nights, high definition versions of some beautifully recorded mid century Beethoven and Resphgi through the TU-05/Glove-120 and Beyer T5P's.

It all just sounded so natural and effortless, like the equipment was not there, have not said this in a while but I love this amp! Can't believe in January I will have had it three years!

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3,674 of 3,813
Hi Ianmedium, nice to see you here posting ,

the same is just happening to me sitting here at my desk with my brandnew (already 120 hours burnt-in) GRADO GS-1000e listening to a HD Version of Paul Simon, Graceland with my modded Colorfly c4 and the new finalized third version of my submini tubeamp prototype (especially setup and configured for the GS1000e).

After one year and having learnt a lot about amplifier and tube amplifier design building and optimizing my own little tube amps i think i will

- rebuild my original TU-05 and an intermediate desktop Version to have this great TU-05 sound and listening experience back

- as new reference for my next steps i am nearly sure i will buy a McIntosh HPA 100

- and then restart and continue to build my fully battery driven star ground and power big tu-05 version

best wishes

GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back