Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Oct 24, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #3,676 of 3,813
Lately, I ordered TU-05 and they replied me that it will be completed at december

I'm really looking forward to hear it!

I will match it with my ak240

If you expirenced it, please give me some helpful tips for using it!

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #3,677 of 3,813
  Can anyone tell me if the A2P TU-05 runs the Audeze LCD collection headphones?

I asked Kageyuki Shikada and he was helpful in telling me that the TU-05 was the flagship model, but wasn't all that powerful. He said that if I wanted power, that the TUR-06 is more suitable... However he said that he would recommend the TU-05 over the TUR-06... 

What do you guys think? Not sure what to do now...

He also told me that he has a separate DAC unit in development... for prototype announcement this year
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I brought the TU-05 to one of the head-fi meets in So Cal and the designers of the Audeze headphones came by my booth. After a quick listen with my TH900's and HD800's they brought back a pair of LCD-X for me to try. Clearly this was their recommendation to use with this amp. Honestly it sounded great and I was very tempted by the show special. I'm sure the LCD-XC would also work well. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,680 of 3,813
Few words about the design of a SET. When playing back music recorded with vacuum tube electronics, you notice a different dynamic character because of tube response. Subtle artist intonations are clearer and more pronounced, fostering a greater sense of realism and emotional connection to the recording. This is due to the fact that tubes clip in a much nicer fashion than solid state amps do: this extra subjective headroom gives punch to tube-recorded music and since the loud signals can be recorded at higher levels, the softer signals are also louder, so they are not lost in tape hiss and they effectively give the tube sound greater clarity.
Also, tube amplifier distorsion is made of even harmonics, while solid state amplifier distorsion is made of odd harmonics. The odd harmonics (third and fifth) produce a "stopped" or "covered" sound. The even harmonics (second, fourth, and sixth) produce "choral" or "singing" sounds. Musically the second is an octave above the fundamental and is almost inaudible; yet it adds body to the sound, making it fuller. The feeling of bass response is directly related to the strong second harmonic component, which reinforce the "natural" bass. In a push pull amplifier this second harmonic distortion is cancelled in the output transformer.
The third produces a sound many musicians refer to as "blanketed." Instead of making the tone fuller, a strong third actually gives the sound a metallic quality that gets annoying in character as its amplitude increases.​
Comparing tube and transistors is like comparing a violin in wood with another one in carbon fiber.

With its SET design, the TU-05 uses what is probably the most simplistic and inefficient design (electrically), but this is also the purest in terms of musicality, and that explains why this amplifier is incredibly natural and direct.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #3,682 of 3,813
Dec 3, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,683 of 3,813
I received my TR-07hp mk2 some weeks ago and i'm verry happy with it. The amp is nicly
build with a DIY touch what i like. As you may know the amp use 2 vfet transistors from Sony
(2SK79), the are discontinued since years and hard to find. Vfet have a triode characteristic,
so a tube like sound is the result.

The bass is detailed, deep and strong - hard to finde a portable amp so competent. The mids
are soft and nicely balanced, some extra details are missing, the focus here is on a enjoyable
side, not a analytic one. The highs are not very extended but fits the character of the amp very
well. Some will say that the amp is missing here some parts of the music. Overall is a natural
sounding amp with the focus of enjoyment and easiness, not neutrality. Soundstage is either
super wide nor narrow, that fits fine. The presentation is not very 3d, leans on the flat side.
What is realy nice that this all comes with a quite speedy and direct prensentation - not muddy
oder sticky like other tube amps. If you know the neslon pass house sound, think of it minus
some details in the highs and limited 3th dimension.

The power output is weak, don't try to use low efficieny and/or high ohm headphones. Works
great with sensitive headphones like Fostex TH-900, here the not so prominent highs fits the
character of the TH-900 perfect. With the Piano Forte X the bass gets some extra power and
the presentation is super smooth. At the moment i used it most of the time with some AK T8ie,
a great pairing too.

The amp needs some time to sound best, about 15-20 minutes. It gets warm after 1 hour.
Runtime is short with about 4 hours, charging time long with about 8 hours. So its not the
best amp for portable use due the limited runtime and warm up time.

It's a amp for people who like to dive into the music and not into analytics. This amp brings
you to the music no away from it.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #3,684 of 3,813
  I received my TR-07hp mk2 some weeks ago and i'm verry happy with it. The amp is nicly
build with a DIY touch what i like. As you may know the amp use 2 vfet transistors from Sony
(2SK79), the are discontinued since years and hard to find. Vfet have a triode characteristic,
so a tube like sound is the result.

The bass is detailed, deep and strong - hard to finde a portable amp so competent. The mids
are soft and nicely balanced, some extra details are missing, the focus here is on a enjoyable
side, not a analytic one. The highs are not very extended but fits the character of the amp very
well. Some will say that the amp is missing here some parts of the music. Overall is a natural
sounding amp with the focus of enjoyment and easiness, not neutrality. soundstage is either
super wide nor narrow, that fits fine. the presentation is not very 3d, leans on the flat side.
whats realy nice that this all comes with a quite speedy and direct prensentation - not muddy
oder sticky like other tube amps. If you know the neslon pass house sound, think of it minus
some details in the highs and limited 3th dimension.

The power output is weak, don't try to use low efficieny and/or high ohm headphones. Works
great with sensitive headphones like Fostex TH-900, here the not so prominent highs fits the
character of the TH-900 perfect. With the Piano Forte X the bass gets some extra power and
the presentation is super smooth. At the moment i used it most of the time with some ak T8ie,
a great pairing too.

The amp needs some time to sound best, about 15-20 minutes. It gets warm after 1 hour.
Runtime is short with about 4 hours, charging time long with about 8 hours. So its not the
best amp for portable use due the limited runtime and warm up time.

It's a amp for people who like to dive into the music and not into analytics. This amp brings
you to the music no away from it.

Thanks for the input, I've been interested in this particular amp the last few months and my hesitation has been it's ability, or inability to drive full sized cans. I love the DIY/boutique nature of the amp design/build by A2P. 
Glad you mentioned the Fostex TH-900s, and I was wondering if that HP could be a good match, sounds like it is. I had emailed A2P about possible HP matches, he thought the Audeze EL-8s may be a good match too, but he says he's never tried them. I've heard the Nelson Pass SIT amps and they are quite sonically impressive. But just like the TU-0-7 needing the right synergy with HPs, so do the Pass amps with the right speakers. 

I wish I could throw down for a TU-07hpii, but just can't afford it now. Hopefully in the future! 
I would welcome any updates you want to ad this this thread in the future!

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #3,685 of 3,813
Agreed. TH900 is great with A2P products.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #3,686 of 3,813
Thanks Sam,
anybody know if the TU-07 hpii plays well with the LCD-X or XC??

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #3,687 of 3,813
My new combo is MAGICAL ! 

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #3,689 of 3,813
I have a TU-05 with the UERM. Very cool combo. I'm sure the UERR would be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back